Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Pontus Holmberg to extension (2 years, $800k AAV)

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Another guy i wasn't against bringing back. I'd like to see him take and hold a spot this season, it's time.
So far Treliving and i agree on which players effort levels make them worth keeping around.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Treliving is taking the traditional approach of shoring up the middle first, I guess. Traditional next step is the goaltending. Perhaps an extension for Samsonov will be announced shortly?

Reactions: Ciao

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I think the Hubie and Weegar deal was a must to send a message that players want to play in Calgary due to Johnny and Tkachuk leaving. The Kadri deal also help send that message.

Coleman was a bad deal, as thats such a typical post Cup Finals overpaid deal for intangibles.

Marky's deal was market value as he was coming off Vezina level seasons.
It's been reported that the Huberdeau and Kadri signings were largely Murray Edwards' doing.

Not defending Treliving there but he does at least have experience working under meddlesome higher-ups, which the Leafs definitely have.

Reactions: kb and Gabriel426

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Honestly would have preferred more term, even if it cost a few more dollars.

I have a lot of faith in the kid from what I saw last year.

Glad to see this get done regardless.

EDIT: Didn't realize that he's still an RFA at the end of this. Two years appears to be the right term in that case. Solid signing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dangles McGavin

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Personally I don't think it's fair to judge Huberdeau/Kadri/Weegar after 1 bad year. If they are bad again this year then sure but you have to give them a chance to rebound.

I agree there is still time to redeem some of the contracts he has signed, but the players you mentioned are all on their last contract, if you thnk the Tavares contract is bad, Huberdeau will be I believe 37 or 38 when his expires, this is year 1.

Tell me how Malgin is doing or ever did lmao

I'd rather Malgin at his current hit than Marchment at his. He is now a cap dump.

Reactions: kb and aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I like Pontus a lot, good track record of growing his game and being heady. To me, he’s a lock for a good role next year with enough versatility and smarts that he could move up and down the lineup.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5 and ITM

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
My favourite Treliving moves were not bringing back Holl and Kerfoot. Also, not overpaying to keep a mediocre Bunting.

Reports are that they are talking to Kerfoot... which is not actually bad if he is a low cap hit.

No word on Holl, but I think we already have too many D to fit him in.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Good signing. Tre is getting the bottom 6 out of the way first I see in order to gauge where to put Matthews. Holmberg deal is good value, Kampf is a slight overpayment but I'm open to see how it goes.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Reports are that they are talking to Kerfoot... which is not actually bad if he is a low cap hit.

No word on Holl, but I think we already have too many D to fit him in.

How are we at the pre-emptive coping with the fact that Kerfoot is probably coming back stage already?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Good signing. He was quite effective out of the gate when he came up, really tapered off, but that’s somewhat to be expected.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Good signing.

I'd imagine he was promoised a roster spot to sign, especially with two years of term. He was arbitration eligible. Though he's also arguably earned it

I was impressed with him last year, I was surprised when he was sent down to the Marlies

Hopefully this is a sign he's getting a chance and if he takes it he sticks

Reactions: Menzinger

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I liked Pontus last season and this is a fair signing. I know he tapered off a bit but Keefe was impressed with the fact he was in the right place and rarely made errors. He's got that hockey intelligence that Treliving is said to admire.

Reactions: aingefan

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Huge Holmberg fan. Love this deal. I see him starting on line 4 and becoming a mainstay on the third line very soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad