Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Erik Källgren

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Precisely. This game was coming it was just a matter of time. More important is how he responds.
A bump in the road after a nice couple of first games isn't a bad thing. Gets an early test on how he responds in the next one. Might as well roll with him to see how he fares, not much behind him.

Reactions: Obo and Gallagbi

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
What is this whole thing about blaming the goalie coach?

I think management just sucks at finding and assessing goalies. I'm not gonna go around blaming a goalie coach.
Well who do you think should be advising management in finding and assessing goalies. 😂

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
And I am guessing that is the last we have seen of him. He is not an NHL goaltender, not even close. Highly doubt he will get any more starts with the leafs. Back to the Marlies he goes where he belongs.
Yes, because Petr Mrazek and his .886% and nearly 4 GAA Is a much better option. Give me a break.

horner

May 22, 2007
Quick breakdown:

Overall he didn't look himself as he did in the first two games.
The biggest difference in this game and his previous games is he wasn't set when the shot came, if you look carefully you'll see his feet are still moving.

The first and third goals were bad.

On the first goal it's as i mentioned, he was there in time but he had what i call happy feet. His feet are shuffling for no reason and quiet feet lead to quiet eyes which leads to saves. I would count this as a 'bad goal'

Third goal is a bad goal. He has to get there quicker. He was still moving as the pass reached and he didn't look ready for the one timer. I would chalk this up for being unprepared for the speed with which an NHL team can get that puck across the ice and into the net.

4th goal was a kinda bad goal. I put it as a "questionable" goal. Tip right in front but it did hit his body and he needs to get better at being a vacuum with any pucks into his body.

2nd/5th goals are no chance goals.

Overall takeaway:

- expected a high GA game to happen, what is important is seeing how he responds next start. I hope keefe goes back to him and not mrazek. Give him a chance to bounce back.
- issues in his footwork that i didn't notice in his last 2 starts...is this nerves, just an off night or?
- nashville seemed to be prioritizing making him move laterally, could be something they scouted. Ben Vanderklok is their goalie coach, he is one of those hardworking types who put his time in and worked his way up through the org. Wouldn't be surprised if he really broke down the tape on Kallgren.
- still feel Kallgren could be an NHL goalie not sure what level yet and how his mental game is
Our defense wasn't a great help last night.

Reactions: makbeer

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He made a 10 bell save and quite a few good ones.

The one where he lost track wasn’t ideal. But I mean he played fine.

I don’t think his rebound control is great. He can’t catch like at all.

But he could be a fine blocking goalie. NHL back up? His demeanour seems to be nhl.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
And another young goalie is ripped apart.

I'd still take him over Mrazek though. At least the kid is getting paid right.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
And another young goalie is ripped apart.

I'd still take him over Mrazek though. At least the kid is getting paid right.
Do not put Mrazek back in goal for the Leafs…ever. I’d see how Kallgren responds next game and if he does well go with him again till Campbell comes back.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Rookie goalies have a long and storied history of excelling in the NHL playoffs. Lightning in a bottle, no book on them, playing under no pressure because they don't even appreciate yet how crazy it is, and stuff like that. Just saying...

<edit few munites later> hmm, Mrazek on waivers. and a KHL goalie newly signed and also going through waivers. Leafs are working on their goalie ideas.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Imagine Leafs play Tampa and Campbell has to leave a game...and they see Kallgren coming in...

The alternative right now is Hutchinson.

Kallgren is not great, but he is better than Hutchinson.

Imagine if Hugo Alnefelt or Amir Miftakhov had to go up against Jack Campbell. Those are Tampa's 4th/5th string goalies. Even their 3rd string goalie, Max Lagace, is not better than Kallgren/Hutchinson. Really, not many (if any) teams have better 4th/5th goalies than we do. We are just unfortunate enough to have to use them, while our competition have a fully healthy depth chart right now.

If Vasilevsky goes down, Tampa is screwed. Even in a runaway game like today, he made some huge saves (and had some luck). One or two of those go in, and this is probably a much different looking game.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
You have a 5th tier goalie going against Vasi and somehow this is his fault?

The fact is, he's being put on a situation where he shouldn't be. Why in the world would Campbell play against Philly and Kallgren against Tampa.
Maybe Keefe trying protect Campbell's confidence going into playoffs

It's the organization's fault that we don't have a decent vet 3rd string goalie.

Hari Sateri somehow was the solution

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I believe it was right before his third start one of the broadcasters called Kallgren a "sensation". I got a laugh out of that. Not because I believed Erik wasn't any good, but it takes a lot more than than two good starts to earn that title.

Safe to say, Jack better be healthy and on his game throughout the playoffs or the Leafs are in big trouble.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Yes, because Petr Mrazek and his .886% and nearly 4 GAA Is a much better option. Give me a break.

There are rarely only 2 options available with anything in life. And 6 months of work does not make a career. Saving grace is that whatever happens might mean the end of some of our mismanagement team.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He has not look good the past few games. Not like the team is playing well in front of him but he has not been good.

I really think he needs more time in the AHL but I don’t think he is a NHL goalie.

Reactions: Stinger8

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You have a 5th tier goalie going against Vasi and somehow this is his fault?

The fact is, he's being put on a situation where he shouldn't be. Why in the world would Campbell play against Philly and Kallgren against Tampa.
Maybe Keefe trying protect Campbell's confidence going into playoffs

It's the organization's fault that we don't have a decent vet 3rd string goalie.

Hari Sateri somehow was the solution

The 3rd string goalie is the hardest position to reliably fill in the NHL. They have to be good enough to be a serviceable NHLer but bad enough to clear waivers. The fact that there isn’t even 60 good enough goalies to fill the existing NHL positions + injuries, finding a vet 3rd string is almost an impossible task.

The best 3rd strings are prospects that are making their way through the organization. Unfortunately we don’t have any that are good enough.

Reactions: fahad203

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Didn’t see much of tonight’s game but 8-1 loss is on Kallgren shoulder?
Doubt it

He was really excellent in the first 40% of the game and sub NHL along with the rest of the team the second 60%. It was weirdly confidence inspiring at first, then it was just cannon fodder the rest of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00