Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Erik Källgren

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
Everyone talking about bad rebound control i watched both his games i don't remember him giving up very many and when he did it wasn't really in a scoring area

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Everyone talking about bad rebound control i watched both his games i don't remember him giving up very many and when he did it wasn't really in a scoring area
yeah I wouldn't say it's bad, just a few times he should have a shot stick to him and it pops out back into play. It's not a huge deal, and it might just be a case of NHLers shooting a bit harder and less predictably than AHL players and he just needs a bit of time to adjust

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
yeah I wouldn't say it's bad, just a few times he should have a shot stick to him and it pops out back into play. It's not a huge deal, and it might just be a case of NHLers shooting a bit harder and less predictably than AHL players and he just needs a bit of time to adjust
Have people been watching our other two goalies now that's who we should be saying has bad rebound control.

Reactions: authentic and slozo

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Not a great showing tonight. Made some big saves but 5 GA is 5 GA

Sure, but considering he was not expected to play in NHL at all, I'll take NHL level goaltending and be very happy, as neither Campbell or Mrazek have been giving us that lately.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Quick breakdown:

Overall he didn't look himself as he did in the first two games.
The biggest difference in this game and his previous games is he wasn't set when the shot came, if you look carefully you'll see his feet are still moving.

The first and third goals were bad.

On the first goal it's as i mentioned, he was there in time but he had what i call happy feet. His feet are shuffling for no reason and quiet feet lead to quiet eyes which leads to saves. I would count this as a 'bad goal'

Third goal is a bad goal. He has to get there quicker. He was still moving as the pass reached and he didn't look ready for the one timer. I would chalk this up for being unprepared for the speed with which an NHL team can get that puck across the ice and into the net.

4th goal was a kinda bad goal. I put it as a "questionable" goal. Tip right in front but it did hit his body and he needs to get better at being a vacuum with any pucks into his body.

2nd/5th goals are no chance goals.

Overall takeaway:

- expected a high GA game to happen, what is important is seeing how he responds next start. I hope keefe goes back to him and not mrazek. Give him a chance to bounce back.
- issues in his footwork that i didn't notice in his last 2 starts...is this nerves, just an off night or?
- nashville seemed to be prioritizing making him move laterally, could be something they scouted. Ben Vanderklok is their goalie coach, he is one of those hardworking types who put his time in and worked his way up through the org. Wouldn't be surprised if he really broke down the tape on Kallgren.
- still feel Kallgren could be an NHL goalie not sure what level yet and how his mental game is

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A tough game was bound to happen at some point. Not against giving him the next start in order to see how he responds. Conversely, changing the goalie probably isn't out of the question either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Quick breakdown:

Overall he didn't look himself as he did in the first two games.
The biggest difference in this game and his previous games is he wasn't set when the shot came, if you look carefully you'll see his feet are still moving.

The first and third goals were bad.

On the first goal it's as i mentioned, he was there in time but he had what i call happy feet. His feet are shuffling for no reason and quiet feet lead to quiet eyes which leads to saves. I would count this as a 'bad goal'

Third goal is a bad goal. He has to get there quicker. He was still moving as the pass reached and he didn't look ready for the one timer. I would chalk this up for being unprepared for the speed with which an NHL team can get that puck across the ice and into the net.

4th goal was a kinda bad goal. I put it as a "questionable" goal. Tip right in front but it did hit his body and he needs to get better at being a vacuum with any pucks into his body.

2nd/5th goals are no chance goals.

Overall takeaway:

- expected a high GA game to happen, what is important is seeing how he responds next start. I hope keefe goes back to him and not mrazek. Give him a chance to bounce back.
- issues in his footwork that i didn't notice in his last 2 starts...is this nerves, just an off night or?
- nashville seemed to be prioritizing making him move laterally, could be something they scouted. Ben Vanderklok is their goalie coach, he is one of those hardworking types who put his time in and worked his way up through the org. Wouldn't be surprised if he really broke down the tape on Kallgren.
- still feel Kallgren could be an NHL goalie not sure what level yet and how his mental game is

One thing I also noticed in conjunction with the "happy feet" was he looked like he was crouching a little lower at certain times for no apparent reason, like "looks like he's been working on his technique with the Leafs staff." Maybe you play long enough in front of that free wheeling puck possession defense and you start feeling insecure? Who knows.

Mar 26, 2010
A tough game was bound to happen at some point. Not against giving him the next start in order to see how he responds. Conversely, changing the goalie probably isn't out of the question either.
And I am guessing that is the last we have seen of him. He is not an NHL goaltender, not even close. Highly doubt he will get any more starts with the leafs. Back to the Marlies he goes where he belongs.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
And I am guessing that is the last we have seen of him. He is not an NHL goaltender, not even close. Highly doubt he will get any more starts with the leafs. Back to the Marlies he goes where he belongs.

At this point I wouldn't mind giving Kallgren a couple of more starts and see if he can't bounce back. He wasn't horrible against the Preds, just not amazing either. Would rather give him a couple of more starts than see Mrazek again in net.

Reactions: Nikkoshine and 34

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
And I am guessing that is the last we have seen of him. He is not an NHL goaltender, not even close.
I had a feeling that the previous two games and a half were just a figment of my imagination.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
I would tap him starter again. how many chances you guys gave soup/Mazrek????

Mar 26, 2010
I would tap him starter again. how many chances you guys gave soup/Mazrek????
None of our goaltenders in Toronto are any good. To be totally honest, not one of them are an NHL caliber goalie. They are not even back ups. That is why this team is losing every game now. Four months they have been getting out goaltended.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
One thing I also noticed in conjunction with the "happy feet" was he looked like he was crouching a little lower at certain times for no apparent reason, like "looks like he's been working on his technique with the Leafs staff." Maybe you play long enough in front of that free wheeling puck possession defense and you start feeling insecure? Who knows.
Tbh my biggest worry is it’s a Briere thing.

But it’s also unlikely a coach gets to a goalie THIS FAST.

Let’s see how next start goes. Can’t judge any player off individual games. Can just start to build a bigger book of evidence

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What is this whole thing about blaming the goalie coach?

I think management just sucks at finding and assessing goalies. I'm not gonna go around blaming a goalie coach.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tbh my biggest worry is it’s a Briere thing.

But it’s also unlikely a coach gets to a goalie THIS FAST.

Let’s see how next start goes. Can’t judge any player off individual games. Can just start to build a bigger book of evidence

Agreed. I do hope they give Kallgren the next game and the one after that. See what we have. Things were flying around out there and you can kind of see Kallgren getting a little more nervous out there than the previous two games.

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Well, Kyle... You need a G, F, and D. And, I bet while watching the game he was saying GFD.

Based on a small sample of 3 games and change, there's no way you can let it ride at goalie. Too bad there's no more games before the deadline to factor in, but based on what we do know who could feel comfortable thinking he might be an answer? He may turn out just fine, but do you have the luxury to believe he will?

Kallgren was hot for 2 nights, now you need to be, KD.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A bump in the road after a nice couple of first games isn't a bad thing. Gets an early test on how he responds in the next one. Might as well roll with him to see how he fares, not much behind him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad