Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Erik Källgren

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He was with Arizona last year but was unconditionally waived. He is still fairly young (turning 25 this year) and was excellent in the SHL playoffs with Vaxjo but he is a #3 at best barring some major leap.

Question is where he fits. The Marlies have far too many guys for next year as it is: Woll, Vehvilainen, Scott, Hutchinson.

Vehvilainen and Woll are pending RFA's who can be non-tendered, but I highly doubt they non-tender Woll. So I imagine this spells the end of Vehvilainen, who has not looked good in North America and seems to have very limited upside with his athleticism and size combination.

EDIT: He was signed by Frolunda so it looks like we could just loan him out there for next year. Looks like we really value him if we are willing to sign him just to hold his rights while he plays in Sweden for a year.

Reactions: The Iceman

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Good, Leafs have neglected the goaltending pipeline for years. Hope he can become #3/4 for next season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Växjö Lakers HC, so a teammate of Pontus Holmberg... clearly the Leafs were keeping an eye on their prospect in Holmberg, and liked what they saw.

24 years old, was the Lakers backup, or more of a 1B, behind Viktor Fasth (38 years old) Källgren took over in the playoffs (due to an injury to Fasth), playing 10 of 15 games, posting a 1.74 GAA, and 0.930 SV %., on the way to the championship. His regular season numbers were just ok, at 2.37 0.911 SV%.

It's a good risk, will be a Marlies player likely next year, another Goalie prospect is never a bad thing.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Did he legit steal the playoffs job from Fasth (who had a great year) or was Fasth injured in the playoffs?

he seemed like he was trending up and earned his callup to north america 2yrs ago, and was off to a nice start here before covid hit.

Hopefully the goalie scouts are right and 24yr olds VV and Kallgren can be an upgrade over the very dissappointing Woll and Scott.....and hold the fort until the much more promising (imo) Akhtyamov makes it over.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Did he legit steal the playoffs job from Fasth (who had a great year) or was Fasth injured in the playoffs?

he seemed like he was trending up and earned his callup to north america 2yrs ago, and was off to a nice start here before covid hit.

Hopefully the goalie scouts are right and 24yr olds VV and Kallgren can be an upgrade over the very dissappointing Woll and Scott.....and hold the fort until the much more promising (imo) Akhtyamov makes it over.

Fasth it turns out was injured. Frolunda had also signed him for the next two years, but there is a NHL out clause.

Svensk mästare till Frölunda

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Feels a little on the low odds side having been drafted by Arizona and even signed and auditioned then let go only a year ago. This is a little like signing an AHL goalie after his original team didn't qualify him. It isn't impossible that he makes a leap but it's unlikely. I hope he exceeds my expectations. I definitely endorse the strategy of overloading on the goalie projects. Less future 4th liner type of prospects, more higher value position prospects (goalies, RHD, centers).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He was with Arizona last year but was unconditionally waived. He is still fairly young (turning 25 this year) and was excellent in the SHL playoffs with Vaxjo but he is a #3 at best barring some major leap.

Question is where he fits. The Marlies have far too many guys for next year as it is: Woll, Vehvilainen, Scott, Hutchinson.

Vehvilainen and Woll are pending RFA's who can be non-tendered, but I highly doubt they non-tender Woll. So I imagine this spells the end of Vehvilainen, who has not looked good in North America and seems to have very limited upside with his athleticism and size combination.

EDIT: He was signed by Frolunda so it looks like we could just loan him out there for next year. Looks like we really value him if we are willing to sign him just to hold his rights while he plays in Sweden for a year.

Yeah, Vehvi seems like a guy that will go back over. We could tender him to retain his rights, or just say whatever. My guess is 3 of them will rotate in the AHL, while 1 of them get loaned to another AHL team, or perhaps Scott starts in the ECHL?

Perhaps once the expansion draft is done, we flip Hutch somewhere.

Always possible Woll or Scott are used in a trade as well, I suppose.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

We don't have goalie scouts anymore and they are more likely done with Vehvilainen than Woll... At least if playing time is any indication. 2 games with the Marlies for VV vs. 6 for Woll in the same stretch of time. VV only played on the second half of back-to-backs, and now it is looking like Hutch is now being paired with Woll.

I imagine, barring a trade, the Marlies are running with Hutch and Woll next year with Scott recovering his form in the ECHL and then will determine where Kallgren fits in after a year with Frolunda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad