Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Connor Carrick to a 2 year 1-way $750k AAV contract

Pholus

May 23, 2014
You think if a RHD is forcing his way into the top 4, that the LHD are safe?

Reilly and Gardiner are the only safe LD on the team.

Carrick has a lot of upside to his game.

Yes he does. That's why some think that he has the potential to one day develop into something close to what Gardiner is now. Under Babcock, Gardiner's play has been somewhere between an average 2nd pairing guy, and the best Dman on the team, imo. If Carrick can even become an average 2nd pairing guy, that would be a big win for the Leafs.

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
Have you ever seen Carrick play or are u judging based off his point totals in the AHL playoffs, because that is what it looks like right now.

I saw pretty much every home game that he played with the Marlies, he moves the puck well and has a nice shot from the point but he is almost worse than Brennan defensively in his own end. His foot speed is lacking, he often got beat in races for pucks and while he tries to play gritty to make up for his 5'8 frame he is pushed off the puck way too easily. The novelty will wear off the shiny new toy and people will realize that he is a smaller Brennan 2.0. I am not buying the hype at all.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
One more thing he will not be exposed in the expansion draft....

There will actually be some tough choices to be made. You would have to think that it would be Connor, Morgan and Jake on the backend. Do you also protect Martin and only protect 4 forwards?

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Never looked at it that way but they are both offensive d so that could be the case. But the game is changing so having numerous offensive d isn't a bad thing either.

Gards is primarily a defensive d in the new style of defensive d, not an offensive d. Different games besides playing opposite sides.

Mad Brills*

I saw pretty much every home game that he played with the Marlies, he moves the puck well and has a nice shot from the point but he is almost worse than Brennan defensively in his own end. His foot speed is lacking, he often got beat in races for pucks and while he tries to play gritty to make up for his 5'8 frame he is pushed off the puck way too easily. The novelty will wear off the shiny new toy and people will realize that he is a smaller Brennan 2.0. I am not buying the hype at all.

I think he's Liles 2.0

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He played 16 games for the Leafs this year.

Kind of a small sample size to get overly excited about, and we know showing great in the AHL playoffs was a Jerry D'Amigo special. Actually, D'Amigo did well in big tournaments U18, U20, 40 AHL playoff games over 3 years, 36 points. D'Amigo never really made the jump to being an effective NHLer.

Carrick looks like a good AHL player, we certainly hope that translates to the NHL.

Seems to have good assets, skating and offensive ability that should be beneficial in the current NHL.

Future
Carrick skated in 19 NHL games in 2015-16 (16 of those games with the Maple Leafs after being acquired in a trade with Washington in February) and led all scorers for the Toronto Marlies in their Calder Cup playoff run to the Eastern Conference finals. An offensively-inclined defender who plays with an edge to his game, Carrick would be an unrestricted free agent if not tendered a contract offer by Toronto. He appears to have surpassed Toronto 2011 first-round pick Stuart Percy in the depth chart and will likely push for a roster spot in training camp. Long-term the consistency in his defensive game will determine if Carrick can stick with an NHL club or remains an injury fill-in/occasional call-up type playe
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/connor-carrick/#FsE0XaGsog5UMbMr.99

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Who ever compared him to Ian White was pretty close. Good offensive upside, some grit as well. White never really fulfilled his potential imo, always hovering around a 4/5/6 defenseman Carrick has a chance to be a legitimate top 4 and bit tougher too.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Who ever compared him to Ian White was pretty close. Good offensive upside, some grit as well. White never really fulfilled his potential imo, always hovering around a 4/5/6 defenseman Carrick has a chance to be a legitimate top 4 and bit tougher too.

I never warmed up to White. Never found him likable for some reason. Same with Rick Jackman, who has spent the last decade in Europe.

Babcock had White for a couple years before he left for a 10 game KHL career.

From the little I've read, Carrick has a much better attitude, than I perceived with White.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I never warmed up to White. Never found him likable for some reason. Same with Rick Jackman, who has spent the last decade in Europe.

From the little I've read, Carrick has a much better attitude, than I perceived with White.

I think your right there ULF, White was a bit of a &@$$ off the ice. Personality was a big problem with him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ian White wasted his career.
I remember when we made the trade for Dion, so many said White was the best D-Man in the deal, not Dion.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Carrick may not be quite as talented as White, lacking his shot and isn't quite as mobile, but hopefully is of better character. I remember the first game I saw White play in the AHL, he was the best defenseman on the ice at 19. Carrick seems more robust and physically assertive as a defender than White and also stands out at the AHL level.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Ian White was a pretty big idiot off the ice from what I can recall. Here is an excerpt from Future, Greats and Heartbreaks to do with White.

“Ian White was the big player when I came here,” he says. “He’d been drafted by the Leafs and he had gone to the world juniors. He was just going to do things his way. In training camp we were supposed to show up for fitness testing in the weight room at the rink, and we were all there in our gym stuff. He shows up in jeans and a cowboy hat. He didn’t even take it off when he had to do the bench [press]. He did one rep and put the bar back on the rack and said, ‘That’s all I feel like today.’ He coulda done dozens of reps. And he gave it to the rookies, too. I was scared ****less. On the bus, I was afraid to even look around my first season. I sat near the front— all the veterans were in the back— and one time when I turned around White saw me and said, ‘What the f— are you lookin’ at?’ After that I didn’t look back the rest of the season. I’m a veteran now, I don’t want to be like White was to the younger players. It doesn’t mean anything to me.”

White has since made it into the Toronto Maple Leafs’ lineup but also into the headlines recently, first for a drunken-driving charge, then for driving with his licence under suspension. The people least surprised by that news were the Broncos. White had asked Chynoweth if he could skate with team before the Leafs’ training camp, then proceeded to carouse around a town where news of that sort would get back to the Broncos’ dressing room before he would. His farewell from the Broncos wasn’t marked by a pre-game tribute but by Chynoweth tossing his equipment out the back door of the arena when White didn’t show up for a practice and breached the coach’s rules. The equipment lay unclaimed for several hours.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Carrick has a bomb of a shot

Carrick could turn out to be a very nice player for a long time. I am surprised he signed so cheap though. I saw other HF posts projecting between 1.2 and 2.5 million on a 2 year deal. I personally think we stold him and with a RH shot too I believe. I like him as a Leaf for sure.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Carrick could turn out to be a very nice player for a long time. I am surprised he signed so cheap though. I saw other HF posts projecting between 1.2 and 2.5 million on a 2 year deal. I personally think we stold him and with a RH shot too I believe. I like him as a Leaf for sure.

Yup, we stold him good!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad