Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign C/LW Miro Aaltonen to an ELC

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Where?
We can't even find room for Kapanen Leipsic Rychel Leivo at the moment

Yeah its weird to me unless they saw something in him...we have a lot of prospects that can play 3rd/4th line wing, I wonder if they see some top 6 upside (panarin-lite?) in this kid and want to try and develop him?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

1st is good.:laugh: Finnish posters seem to like him. Only 23. Coming off a productive season in the KHL. A lot to like here. Why is everyone so negative? Do we really have to bring the names of past failed Euro signings? Yeah, Kontiola and Wallin and Frogren busted hard, but Zaitsev and Soshnikov have been solid signing. No reason why Aaltonen can't be as well.

Going to be interesting to see where he fits in, though. I doubt the Leafs are projecting him to play centre (a tall order at 5'10" in the NHL), which puts him squarely in a logjam of similar prospects with similar skill-sets. I also doubt he's coming over to ride the buses in the AHL. Guys like Timashov are still at least a year away but he's going to be in direct competition with the likes of Leivo, Leipisic, Rychel, possibly Johnsson for those bottom six/depth scoring roles.

Does anybody know how this fits in with our contract situation? With us at 50 contracts, I'm going to assume this deal is only effective on July 1st?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yeah its weird to me unless they saw something in him...we have a lot of prospects that can play 3rd/4th line wing, I wonder if they see some top 6 upside (panarin-lite?) in this kid and want to try and develop him?

The more skilled assets/prospects the better.... Kapanen/Leipsic/Rychel aren't guarantees, and even if they are, they won't all have the same effectiveness. The player who is most effective, is gonna play. The more players competing for a spot, the most likely you'll find the best player available for that position.

Regardless, a skilled player is value, if we don't find a spot, we trade the player for assets (bonus). It's not confusing as to why the Leafs would sign him, it's more so confusing as to why Aaltonen would sign for the Leafs/knowing the depth we have. But I'm not complaining.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
More skilled, better players will push others to be better .. Increased competition is a good thing and a good way to bring the best out.

Interested to see how he does .. Doesn't kick in until next year - I imagine that he will start with the Marlies in lieu of Leipsic and Rychel possibly being either with the Leafs or elsewhere.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Good signing. More depth for needed positions. I see no issue with this.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
More skilled, better players will push others to be better .. Increased competition is a good thing and a good way to bring the best out.

Interested to see how he does .. Doesn't kick in until next year - I imagine that he will start with the Marlies in lieu of Leipsic and Rychel possibly being either with the Leafs or elsewhere.

Good point, could replace someone like Leipsic.

Anyway, the internal competition argument is valid, the idea of hot housing so many prospects is a good way to weed out the wheat from the chaff, though it's funny because our best kids are still ones we acquired with top 5 picks up to this point. Have yet to uncover a late round star steal or even a Sebastian Aho type prospect past the first round.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Will be sheltered under the expansion draft too I believe. An added bonus given his age; expectations will be for him to have a more immediate impact.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pretty sweet signing! Wonder when he'll join the Marlies?

Next year.

Keep in mind that any sort of deals the Leafs make have to be for next year since we are maxed out on contracts right now. He'd probably prefer that anyways.

Should have a really good shot for the Leafs next year, which probably means someone on the higher end will be moved out.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Why not? It's not a bad thing to continue mining the KHL and other leagues for talent we can use. No idea how he'll turn out, but fine with the Leafs taking a shot.

Sounds good to me.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Perhaps they want to keep a certain pace on the Marlies roster that matches the play-style of the Leafs? A winger on the Marlies is going to be use to playing with a creative center? Nothing wrong with being a full-time Marlie really? You look at the KHL pay-rate and he might be making more in the AHL.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Comes from a good blood line, his granddad played three years in SM-Sarja (sorry if i spelled it wrong) in the 50's the top Finish league and his dad played for JoKP Joensuu for 7 years and then coached in some really good Finnish leagues for 8 years. I like prospects that come from a hockey family.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Good point, could replace someone like Leipsic.

Anyway, the internal competition argument is valid, the idea of hot housing so many prospects is a good way to weed out the wheat from the chaff, though it's funny because our best kids are still ones we acquired with top 5 picks up to this point. Have yet to uncover a late round star steal or even a Sebastian Aho type prospect past the first round.

Kapanen is a blue chip prospect IMO that should pan out. I expect him to be a 45-55 point winger on a top six line. Our offense will be set for a decade, just need to focus on D.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Kapanen is a blue chip prospect IMO that should pan out. I expect him to be a 45-55 point winger on a top six line. Our offense will be set for a decade, just need to focus on D.

this, kapanen is for sure blue chip. Also He is 6'1" something we need a bit of a different look for opposing teams. This guy is fighting with Leipsic, Moore, Brooks, Bracco and timashov for small scoring forward.

Basically Aaltonen is a direct replacement for Leipsic who i think will be most enticing leaf offered up in the expansion draft

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Acquiring assets without giving up players or using the draft is always good.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Adds a lot of versatility to our organization next year. Our way or another our glut of NHL ready and proven callups is going to be severely depleted this year. A 24 year old KHL star that can pass through waivers and play both C and wing gives us some depth and flexibility without having to call up prospects that may not be NHL ready. The upside is a bonus.

With our F core largely in place the role of our pipeline is just as much to have 1 and 2 year and done call ups and roster filler as it is find guys that will be here long term. Aaltonen fills a gap in the former with the added bonus of upside for the latter.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
If this was one of the top college free agents would anyone be complaining?

I knew nothing about him before today, similar to most players the Leafs draft or sign as a college/European free agent. He sounds like an interesting player with some potential. If he's good, who cares if he's small? For all we know the Leafs may be about to draft seven 6'5" guys this summer.

member 147413

If this was one of the top college free agents would anyone be complaining?

I knew nothing about him before today, similar to most players the Leafs draft or sign as a college/European free agent. He sounds like an interesting player with some potential. If he's good, who cares if he's small? For all we know the Leafs may be about to draft seven 6'5" guys this summer.

Better yet! Six and a half 7'0" guys

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Is he a winger or can he play center? The Marlies depth at C is atrocious, if he could slot in as even a sheltered 3rd line role for them it would make a great impact, and if not, we've still added a talented forward to the organization at no cost. Moves like this allow us to keep our position of strength (winger depth) while potentially dealing other guys to patch weaknesses (D) if the acquisition pans out. If not, we lost literally nothing. Solid move IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad