Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign C/LW Miro Aaltonen to an ELC

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Drafting Matthews, Marner and Nylander has made signings like this seem so blasai. Probably would be pencilling him into the Leafs lineup 2 years ago. Depth is so good right now. This guy is probably a Timashov level player, but with so many similar players, it would take a mono epidemic for him to get into the lineup (which actually isn't so far fetched these days)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Judging from his World Championships, I'm almost expecting him to come to camp and not be able to keep up with pre-season NHL then end up heading back to the KHL before the AHL season even starts. Why stay in North America making under $100k when he could earn up to $1M in the KHL?

this, we have players we can lose on waivers who I prefer over him (Rychel and Leivo) then Kapanen (prefer the most of the non set in stone roster players) and sosh. Only one spot up for grabs for Leivo, Kapanen, Rychel, Sosh and Aaltonen, I think kapanen has earned his spot personally was very good in the playoffs

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Drafting Matthews, Marner and Nylander has made signings like this seem so blasai. Probably would be pencilling him into the Leafs lineup 2 years ago. Depth is so good right now. This guy is probably a Timashov level player, but with so many similar players, it would take a mono epidemic for him to get into the lineup (which actually isn't so far fetched these days)

"Blasai". Great word. Perhaps it means being bored by very small Japanese trees.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
What the h did I just do.

Not sure if you are serious but ...

Blase (accented) is the correct spelling ... as versus a version of Bonsai which is a Japanese art form using trees grown in containers.

Blasai is somewhere in the middle.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Not sure if you are serious but ...

Blase (accented) is the correct spelling ... as versus a version of Bonsai which is a Japanese art form using trees grown in containers.

Blasai is somewhere in the middle.

its growing a bonsai tree but not taking great care of it = Blasai

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
this, we have players we can lose on waivers who I prefer over him (Rychel and Leivo) then Kapanen (prefer the most of the non set in stone roster players) and sosh. Only one spot up for grabs for Leivo, Kapanen, Rychel, Sosh and Aaltonen, I think kapanen has earned his spot personally was very good in the playoffs

I would have to see him play on the small ice and in the system before I pass this kind of judgment.
Imo he COULD pass al those guys except kappy but we wont know until he plays for us.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I would have to see him play on the small ice and in the system before I pass this kind of judgment.
Imo he COULD pass al those guys except kappy but we wont know until he plays for us.

sure, main point was he isn't going to be a significant enough upgrade on those guys, enough to be crazy valuable to the team so it really wasn't a necessary signing. If he doesn't make the team I don't think he will play in the AHL for $70K unless of course he played for one of those KHL teams that are throwing all their players overboard

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
sure, main point was he isn't going to be a significant enough upgrade on those guys, enough to be crazy valuable to the team so it really wasn't a necessary signing. If he doesn't make the team I don't think he will play in the AHL for $70K unless of course he played for one of those KHL teams that are throwing all their players overboard

I saw the signing as an ongoing to build organizational depth at the centre position. If he works out as a centre his value jumps.
Bottom line for me is I need to wait and see what he brings to our team before I can put him somewhere on the depth chart.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I saw the signing as an ongoing to build organizational depth at the centre position. If he works out as a centre his value jumps.
Bottom line for me is I need to wait and see what he brings to our team before I can put him somewhere on the depth chart.

This is so darned reasonable. Thanks Salt. Marlies then? To get his feet wet in the NA style game? Seems to be the reigning thought here - makes sense. The Soshnikov approach basically.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
This is so darned reasonable. Thanks Salt. Marlies then? To get his feet wet in the NA style game? Seems to be the reigning thought here - makes sense. The Soshnikov approach basically.

I would think marlies for sure at the least due to not wanting to lose players on waivers.
He would have to have an amazing camp and preseason or we trade some players for him to make the big club off the bat imo.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
"Blasai". Great word. Perhaps it means being bored by very small Japanese trees.

I feel "Blasai" with 50% of the posts. It is the passion for the Leafs that bring us all back and keeps us searching for new information and opinions.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Just an FYI it's blasé (or blase if diacritics aren't an option) not blasai.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Signing Moore should automatically mean Miro starts on the Marlies.

I would put it at 50/50 we even see him up this year.

....... Unless Moore shows up for camp looking like the illegitimate love-child of King Kong Bundy and Chewbacca and tells Lou to pound sand up his a?s, then things may happen differently.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Underperformed a 36yo Maxim Afinogenov on his team.

He's probably talented enough to be in the middle 6 on an NHL team, but probably not ours, unless as a call-up.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This was damn funny.

:handclap::laugh:

:banghead:

Graham_6.jpg

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. But he did underwhelm in the last tournament with Finland did he not?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. But he did underwhelm in the last tournament with Finland did he not?

This isn't a bad thing. If the Leafs stick with signing guys who are 'real good pro's' then he will take this as something he is not ok with, and have a huge summer and come to camp with a chip on his shoulder looking to prove he is better than that.

Or he can be like 90% of the rest of the hockey world and come into camp as always, not standout one way or the other, and wind up riding a bus in the AHL before he decides he's too good for that and takes a KHL deal.

We'll see. IMO best case scenario is he goes to the Marlies and Kapanen also goes back due to contracts and numbers while both being ready for the NHL. It would give someone for Kaps to compete against to be called up with, which is the basis for a good team.. Always have someone trying to take your job.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Looking at 50 Leafs in 50 Days: Miro Aaltonen

Back on March 17, the Toronto Maple Leafs started out their offseason early by signing KHL standout Miro Aaltonen. A 2013 sixth round pick of the Anaheim Ducks that went unsigned, Aaltonen had a breakout season with Vityaz Podolsk. His production earned him an NHL contract and a minor role for Finland at the 2017 World Championships.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/08/01/toronto-maple-leafs-roster-preview-miro-aaltonen/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad