Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign C/LW Miro Aaltonen to an ELC

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Really?.
In NHL my heart belongs to Florida Panthers so i'm not turning to Maple-Leafs fan.
Of course i'll try follow all Finnish NHL players so much as ever possible.

It was just a joke about how so many Finnish fans seemed to become really big Jets fans after drafting Laine.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
Or maybe another Soshnikov or Komarov? Not every player has to be an all-star.

It's ok to find some good secondary pieces with interesting upside, you know?

I don't get why people don't understand this kind of signing.
I don't get it either.

Say he turns into a good middle six winger. Even if that isn't a glaring need for us, it still enables us to either trade him or another one of our middle six wingers to address our glaring needs.

More good assets of any kind = increased ability to address your needs.

Besides, we're likely to lose JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Polak, Hunwick and maybe Boyle within the next year. Leipsic, Kapanen, Dermott, etc. look pretty good, but it's not going to hurt to have a few more young players with some upside to at least take their places on the Marlies, if not win spots over them on the big club.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Is this only me but somehow this Miro Aaltonen's ELC signing gives to me a signal JVR or someone-else Maple-Leafs winger like Komarov or Kapanen is getting traded.

Maple-Leafs can't keep all winger prospects what they have now.
So someone has to go and there was trade rumors on Komarov last year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Is this only me but somehow this Miro Aaltonen's ELC signing gives to me a signal JVR or someone-else Maple-Leafs winger like Komarov or Kapanen is getting traded.

Not necessarily, just good preparation that it's possible that none of Leivo/Rychel/Leipsic are with the organization come training camp.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

likely JVR in my mind, I don't want to pay him what he will command. Kapanen would be our LW scoring player to replace him. Maybe Komarov is moved too we have a lot of wingers ready and not a lot of spots I think there will be some trades for sure.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Kapanen is a Babcock type player IMO. He won't be traded unless something ridiculous comes our way. He's got speed, NHL shot and two way game. If he wasn't injured for a couple months, he would be up right now.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
That's true, but Sosh doesn't have the ability to be a top end forward, he plays a much more grinding style.

Well "top end" has different meanings. If by that you mean top line, then I likely agree, but having said that if you flipped him and #11 on the current team I think people would quite happy with the result.

I think he's got a very good skill set that's being miss used. Look his goals against Van, Det, NYI, and even Tuesday vs. Fla.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
likely JVR in my mind, I don't want to pay him what he will command. Kapanen would be our LW scoring player to replace him. Maybe Komarov is moved too we have a lot of wingers ready and not a lot of spots I think there will be some trades for sure.

Is JVR one of those guys who Maple-Leafs has to protect for Las Vegas expansion draft?.
And how about Komarov his contract with Maple-Leafs expires next year and if i'm not mistaken Komarov becomes UFA player in 1st July 2018.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Is JVR one of those guys who Maple-Leafs has to protect for Las Vegas expansion draft?.
And how about Komarov his contract with Maple-Leafs finishing next year and if i'm not mistaken Komarov becomes UFA player in 1st July 2018.

yeah both guys have to be protected. JVR will no doubt be protected some posters think about maybe not protecting Komarov but are unsure

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Almost certainly a better use of a contract spot than the 2015 draftee who doesn't get an ELC (whoever that will be).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not a bad trade off for Herzog, who wasn't going to sign with us from the 2013 draft.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
A fairly small forward, Aaltonen can play as a center or in the left wing. He is a goal-scorer with good puckhandling and creativity. He also has very good playmaking-ability and is a useful assett on the man-advantage. Aaltonen skates well and has decent top-speed. He works hard but lacks physicality and needs to add plenty of strength. The 2012/2013 season was an important one for Aaltonen who took a big step forward in the summer and started to get on the board regularily in the SM-liiga. However, he missed a great part of the 2nd half of the season after breaking his ankle at the World Junior Championships. (Matias Strozyk, 2013) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44162#sthash.ISwuA4yN.dpuf

AGE 23 NATION Finland POSITION C/W

2013-14 Blues Liiga 60 13 162912 4 | Playoffs 7 3 470 0 2014-15 Blues Liiga 57 16 213714 12 | Playoffs 4 1 120 -2 2015-16 Kärpät Liiga 58 15 203551 9 | Playoffs 8 0 330 3 2016-17 Vityaz Podolsk KHL 59 19 254438 -4 | Playoffs 4 0 007 -1 Finland EHT 6 6 174 - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44162#sthash.ISwuA4yN.dpuf

Pretty sweet signing! Wonder when he'll join the Marlies?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lou and the boys wouldn't sign this guy if they didn't think he could play in the NHL. We have lots of contracts expiring after this year. There is no issue

If he's a center this is not an issue but if he plays on the wing body's Need to be traded
I don't mind taking a punt on this guy but spots need be freed up in the forward group soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad