Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Auston Matthews to ELC

Mr Hockey*

Looks like he can easily add 10 - 15 lbs of lean mass on that frame in the next few years! He is going to one difficult Centerman to play against in a few years :laugh:

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
He's nominated for MVP and rookie of the year in the NLA. :)

(not only Laine gets hardware. :sarcasm:)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou just made a lot of Toronto media look pretty foolish today.

Welcome Matthews!

That said, would be curious to know whether this was a genuine acknowledgment by Lou that he can't/shouldn't do the things the same was as in New Jersey, or if he was told by Shanahan that he had to do things differently.

Either way it doesn't matter - things are working out exactly as they should. I'm just curious

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
So it took 10 minutes?. Lol. Too funny.

"Lou Lamoriello says Matthews contract was done in 10 minutes with agent Pat Brisson."

I guess this is sort of a lesson, that sometimes people like Lou and agents have schedules that don't jibe with fans and media.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Glad to see him signed and get all the bonuses he deserves.

Very happy to see they didn't hardball him as has been reported.

Now to sign Vesey! Keep those sweet ELC deals rolling Lou!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Thank god, it was getting sickening with those who always expect the worst, bad enough we have to deal with the rival fan base stupidity.

I was pretty surprised with all the drama after Shanny referenced Marner's contract when discussing Matthew's.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Details
Cap Hit: $925,000
AAV: $3,775,000
Total Value: $11,325,000
Length: 3 years
Type: Entry
Expiry Status: RFA

With maximum bonuses earned Matthews could make $11.325 mil over the next 3 years.

Funny how that is the same cap hit as McDavid.

Wonder how that worked out since it is so complicated to arrive at a MAX ELC.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
OR

Contracts take time to fully work out. He isn't even 4 weeks removed from being drafted. Add in the week of free agency prep, and another week of free agency and other moves, and the Leafs were likely only focused on Matthews ELC for the past 2 weeks.

But sure, there was this big war and Lou finally caved.

Right

Apparently it does take some time, 10 minutes according to Lou.

I suggested they just get a copy of McDavid's deal and white out the names.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
18 years old, 7 figs and he's going to earn every penny of it. MLSE will probably sell enough of his jerseys in the first week of October to pay off half his deal.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Lou Lam: Taking down the Toronto media one hack writer at a time.

Not that I'm normally interested in these things but I wonder if they'll have Matthews' jersey number determined for when they release the new jerseys/apparel ... Normally I would assume we wouldn't see the number until training camp but I can't see the Leafs passing on marketing Matthews jerseys and shirts with the release of the new look.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Alright guys, I'll be back when I've got something new to report...remember this name and please don't delete me lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad