Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Auston Matthews to ELC

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
So it took 10 minutes?. Lol. Too funny.

"Lou Lamoriello says Matthews contract was done in 10 minutes with agent Pat Brisson."

I guess this is sort of a lesson, that sometimes people like Lou and agents have schedules that don't jibe with fans and media.

The nerve.

I wonder if McGran had to cancel radio interviews after he looked like a complete idiot AGAIN.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/brea...k-really-the-answer-for-the-maple-leafs-.html

McGran

And let's not forget Shanahan still hasn't hired a general manager. Whoever that is going to be will walk into to a job where his coach and lieutenants are loyal to the guy upstairs -- Shanahan.

This reeks of Ken Dryden all over again. For those who don't remember, Dryden was the president of the Leafs who formed a search committee to find the team's GM and discovered -- whoa!! -- Dryden. Then some kind of weird triple-headed monster emerged with Dryden, Mike Smith and Anders Hedberg running the team.

Strikes me that Shanahan wants to call the shots -- the hirings and firings are all his -- without any of the accountability -- media interviews with him are at a premium.

Now let's have a quick look at the Edmonton Oilers, a team that has outdone the Leafs -- remarkable in its own right -- in terms of dysfunction over the last decade.

They hired a president -- Bob Nicholson. He didn't need a year -- as Shanahan appears to have needed -- to make changes. Nicholson hired a GM -- Peter Chiarelli -- who hired a coach -- Todd McLellan. Sounds like the right order of events.

Shanahan hired assistants and coaches and -- presumably -- will hire a GM later. Outside of answering media calls -- something Shahanan apparently loathes -- what power will this guy actually have?

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Why am I reading people in this thread who still think Lou was trying to work him over? I mean, Lou himself said the deal took all of ten minutes to work out. Yet we have people still convinced he was trying to sign him to basically a minimum deal with no bonuses. The cone of silence around this team is strong. Don't give in to your own idle speculation, or even worse, what the media like to use as click bait.

Last edited:

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
Sens fan here in peace.

Good for you guys, let's make the Battle of Ontario relevant again.

Assuming we're as good as management thinks we are. New coach so there's hope.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the only thing more ridiculous than the coverage of this ELC is the constant Mcdavid>>>>Matthews comments on the main page whener Austons name is brought up. time to stick to the leafs only forums

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why am I reading people in this thread who still think Lou was trying to work him over? I mean, Lou himself said the deal took all of ten minutes to work out. Yet we have people still convinced he was trying to sign him to basically a minimum deal with no bonuses. The cone of silence around this team is strong. Don't give in to your own idle speculation, or even worse, what the media like to use as click bait.

Lou also said it was the easiest ELC deal he ever had to get done and that Matthews earned the right to get every penny and bonus available.

Matthews got the same deal as McDavid and Eichel did last year and it was a no brainer for Lou Lam to hand it to him.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
the only thing more ridiculous than the coverage of this ELC is the constant Mcdavid>>>>Matthews comments on the main page whener Austons name is brought up. time to stick to the leafs only forums

I rarely venture out of the leaf forum for hockey discussion. There's just no respect out there. People can't be civilized they always try to be extreme in counter value discussion. Or just plain blatantly rude. Especially off Hfboards. Facebook trolling is the pinnacle of stupidity.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Was anyone actually panicking or freaking out? I mean, were people actually concerned Matthews would go unsigned into the start of training camp?

Yes, some were and were also predicting that this negotiation meant that he would bolt for Arizona as soon as he was able to do so.

Or were they criticizing the fact that the media was allowed to control the narrative when this should have been and probably was the easiest contract Lou will ever give out in his time at Toronto? It should never have gotten this far.

No, they were all over Lou.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sens fan here in peace.

Good for you guys, let's make the Battle of Ontario relevant again.

Assuming we're as good as management thinks we are. New coach so there's hope.

Thanks for the nice note.

I'm actually hoping for the Sens to get back to their early 2000s, lean and mean small market ways. Not a fan of the current direction.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Stop being so damned rational!!!

Lou clearly screwed everything up by playing hardball and now Matthews is going to walk at the first opportunity. In fact, he is so pissed that he will only score on his own net this year just to ensure that the Leafs suck for another season.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Look if Lou really tried to implement this no bonus thing and the Leafs went along with it, that would be a big problem. One advantage the Leafs have is deep pockets and they need to use it whenever they can. They have disadvantages like taxes etc, so when you have an advantage, you better use it.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Other players received bonuses from Lou before Matthews. Not sure how anyone could entertain the notion Lou tried to get Matthews to sign without any. Ridiculous really.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Now.. Will everyone just stop being "Chicken Little's" about every piece of media gossip..., that falls from the sky..? :sarcasm: :)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The despoiling of our media.

For years they were used to socially engineering bad moves for the Leafs and these guys have made a living criticizing the Leafs and their fans. Now that we are under Lou's cone of silence and have stopped making bad trades because the media said so, they are frustrated and it shows. They see Toronto going in the right direction and don't like it at all. As they look into the future they wonder how they will make a living soon. After all, besides criticizing Toronto what else are they good for? I imagine they will focus on how Mathews isn't happy here and wants to sign with AZ. in 7 years.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
For years they were used to socially engineering bad moves for the Leafs and these guys have made a living criticizing the Leafs and their fans. Now that we are under Lou's cone of silence and have stopped making bad trades because the media said so, they are frustrated and it shows. They see Toronto going in the right direction and don't like it at all. As they look into the future they wonder how they will make a living soon. After all, besides criticizing Toronto what else are they good for? I imagine they will focus on how Mathews isn't happy here and wants to sign with AZ. in 7 years.

I absolutely love how Lou and team are disarming the Toronto media. Coming out and telling everyone that the contract took 10minutes was absolutely brilliant. They let the media make fools out of themselves for weeks speculating on the bonuses and then dropped the contract news right when the fervor was at it's highest point.

Wonderfully executed. Burke did nothing but fuel the fire but Lou on the other hand douses the flame every time.

This is what they meant by making Toronto a safe place to play.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I absolutely love how Lou and team are disarming the Toronto media. Coming out and telling everyone that the contract took 10minutes was absolutely brilliant. They let the media make fools out of themselves for weeks speculating on the bonuses and then dropped the contract news right when the fervor was at it's highest point.

Wonderfully executed. Burke did nothing but fuel the fire but Lou on the other hand douses the flame every time.

Following the team in this new era, I've noticed that they appear to have picked a guy on each side to feed info to when needed. Those two people are Bob McKenzie and Elliot Friedman, and its only the slimiest of info. Forgot which deal it was, but one got the cap hit, and the other was given the years (pretty sure it was the Kadri and Rielly deals). It makes sense, both those guys are very professional, and are known to be quite reserved. Obviously, they aren't going to be floating ideas and stuff out through Simmons, Cox and Feschuk. But at the end of the day, they know they have to let the media do there job a bit to keep them off the players back.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

I think this is the most important part. Every time we saw a disheveled Burke in front of the lights and camera with a tie around his neck, making calculated statements in the media about how they would "try to make this team better at whatever cost", the media ate it up and in turn, we the fans did as well. Remember in 2009, there was a HUGE media flurry about the Leafs trying to acquire a top 2 pick so that they could get a top end player (JT or Hedman). Turned out that we settled in nicely for the 7th and when everyone asked what went wrong, "The price was too high". Yeah, probably because it was all over the media.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think this is the most important part. Every time we saw a disheveled Burke in front of the lights and camera with a tie around his neck, making calculated statements in the media about how they would "try to make this team better at whatever cost", the media ate it up and in turn, we the fans did as well. Remember in 2009, there was a HUGE media flurry about the Leafs trying to acquire a top 2 pick so that they could get a top end player (JT or Hedman). Turned out that we settled in nicely for the 7th and when everyone asked what went wrong, "The price was too high". Yeah, probably because it was all over the media.

Which is why I am very much okay with Lou not letting ANYTHING out. it might be frustrating for some, but what if some of what he lets out disarms him somehow in making a move where he can do the same.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Burke was so pompous back then by claiming he was so good at robbing other teams of high picks, and cited Pronger and the Sedins as examples. Well why would any other GM give Burke that chance to rob them of high picks again? The media kept speculating that Burke could get us Tavares or Hedman or anyone else Burke wanted, to the point that they put other teams on alert, giving us no chance to acquire good pieces without overpaying for them.

I would just rather not know anything until it's done. If we make a splash, great. If not, I don't need to hear any speculation that might give other teams the upper hand in negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad