Post-Game Talk: Leafs shutout by Yotes 2-0

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Throwing Babcock under the bus. I like it.
man some of you guy's have wild imaginations, the adjustments he is talking about are more about effort and less about tactics

coaches don't say pregame "ok boy's I wan't the #1 PP to play the 3 formation and purple 1 and purple 2"

the players don't say in game "hey coach how bout the #1 PP play the 1 formation and blue 5"

to which the coach apparently say's "nope I said 3 formation and P1 and P2"

any adjustments by the coach in game go directly to changing up line combos and saying stuff like "you can't lay back and let them come to you, take it to them" unfortunately the Leafs effort was one of letting the opposition come to them.

I suppose Babs could've benched everyone and sent Freddie and Par out on the PP, that would've been an adjustment:rolleyes:

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
And I'm getting real ****ing sick of this "on pace for a franchise record" bull****. Our franchise record was good for 7th in the league last year. I think we get it, our franchise has been such garbage for so long that our "franchise record" wasn't even good enough for top-5 in the league.

That plus the addition of the loser point has made franchise point records meaningless.

Reactions: FlareKnight and IPS

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Huh?

Nylander was one of the only ones who could actually get the puck through the zone last night. Hyman was bum**** useless last night.

This wasn't one night issue. Leafs have huge problems against teams who play "trap game". This was a problem last year and it's even bigger issue this year. It's waste of this premium talent when they don't have enough players who can or are willing to do the dirty work. Trap is the oldest and easiest way to close cap between skill levels.

Leafs have superior offensive skills against almost any team (not including Tampa), but if you start playoff series today there is a even number of match ups where Leafs are slight favorite or a underdog. Leafs have for example a lot more skill than Boston, but there is no one to make Leafs the favorite against that team for certain basic reason.

Reactions: baton elevated

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you are "not ****ing impressed" by a franchise record and the best team we've had in a lifetime, I don't know what to tell you.

Because true success should be judged relative to the rest of the league, not relative to last decade's Leaf's teams.

I swear some of you are carrying the same expectations for this team that you had when JVR-Bozak-Kessel was our top-line and Gunnarrson-Phaneuf was our top-pairing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Adding Tavares, Muzzin, and another year of improvement from the youngsters and we're on pace for the same point total as last year. Pretty much a complete rerun of last year with Boston passing us last night.

Color me not ****ing impressed.

Leafs don't have enough energy guys, just a lot of fancy skaters and not enough heart and soul players that put in an honest effort each night.

Big hits, fights and pests can energize a team and change momentum and drag the rest of the team into the fight.

Lets hope that rerun doesn't repeat itself in the playoffs if we meet Boston again.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Right now they are on pace for 106 points. Only a 1 point improvement over last year.

They are on pace to better their goal differential appreciably though, ie +57 this year vs +46 year previous.

They also have an easier schedule down the stretch. They should over reach the current projections based on QOC.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I swear some of you are carrying the same expectations for this team that you had when JVR-Bozak-Kessel was our top-line and Gunnarrson-Phaneuf was our top-pairing.

Uhhh... I hated that team. What a pathetic attempt at an argument. Trying to tell me I believed something I never did. OK.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Uhhh... I hated that team. What a pathetic attempt at an argument. Trying to tell me I believed something I never did. OK.
Then don't @ me with that "franchise record" shit. Because all that does is judge our success relative to our past garbage teams.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Then don't come @ me with that stupid "franchise record" ****. Because all that does is judge our success relative to our past garbage teams.

Franchise record "shit". :laugh:

Literally the best team we have ever had. "shit". :laugh:

I get that you're hysterically upset over one loss, but your words don't make sense.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
not true.

before babcock got his mits on willy;

nylander played either LW or Center

even Kappy played LW (not RW)

and Hyman always played RW not LW

babcock flipped everything.

If I recall correctly Marlies line was

Nylander-Center-Hyman (forgot who centered)

perhaps i should've said incapable at the NHL level, just for clarity

Hyman is better on the left side and was a Michigan monster on Larkin's left side after spending most of his collegiate career at C

Brown, Johnsson, Kapanen, Ennis, Marleau are very capable of making the in game adjustment to their off wings, why hasn't Babcock ruined them as well:naughty:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Franchise record "****". :laugh:

Literally the best team we have ever had. "****". :laugh:

I get your upset, but your words don't make sense.

What doesn't make sense? I don't buy into buzzword nonsense, we were 7th in the league last year and bowed out in the first round. Turns out we need to do a hell of a lot better than any franchise record to actually get somewhere.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Right now they are on pace for 106 points. Only a 1 point improvement over last year.

They are on pace to better their goal differential appreciably though, ie +57 this year vs +46 year previous.

They also have an easier schedule down the stretch. They should over reach the current projections based on QOC.
Looking at this game that's probably not a good thing to have an easier schedule. This group can lack effort when playing teams that aren't strong ones. They may have more trouble matching their points from last year if they treat other weaker teams like they did Arizona.

At least there are gains being made over last year. Just have to hope that eventually they'll figure out that teams with less points can beat them if they don't show up.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
perhaps i should've said incapable at the NHL level, just for clarity

Hyman is better on the left side and was a Michigan monster on Larkin's left side after spending most of his collegiate career at C

Brown, Johnsson, Kapanen, Ennis, Marleau are very capable of making the in game adjustment to their off wings, why hasn't Babcock ruined them as well:naughty:

incapable because the coach decided? in the league good teams have their PP where their players play on their off wing on the PP except frekain' leafs

incapable...?

riihggtt.....

Reactions: FreeBird

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's pretty stupid to blame the coach. Against trap teams you need to win board battles and get puck away from them. Leafs have zero cycle game and even less grit to do so. Hyman and Kapanen are pretty much only ones who are willing to win a board battle. For example Nylander needs a map to find a corner and only times Marner goes close to corner is on pp.

It's very hard to pass around the trap, but Leafs don't have any other choice, because of this big flaw in their roster. Teams don't need goons anymore, but you need some guys in your team who are willing to battle for pucks.

no, he knows exactly where they are, he skates by them all the time when he's making those great solo circle's in the Ozone after carrying the puck all the way from his own end that result in those otherworldly possession numbers but rarely if ever result in high grade chances

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
What doesn't make sense? I don't buy into buzzword nonsense, we were 7th in the league last year and bowed out in the first round. Turns out we need to do a hell of a lot better than any franchise record to actually get somewhere.
He can't help himself. The Leafs have mostly got only Participation Trophies during the term of his fandom, so he doesn't know what real success is.

Honestly, I get it, but I am able to look around the league and see what makes real winners.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah, you just get so irrationally hysterical about losses that you call franchise records "****".

It's only a franchise record because of OT/SO points instead of ties, it wasn't actually the best team we've ever had. If they changed wins to equal 5 points and we finished last in the league with 110 points, would you still think it being a franchise record matters?

no, he knows exactly where they are, he skates by them all the time when he's making those great solo circle's in the Ozone after carrying the puck all the way from his own end that result in those otherworldly possession numbers but rarely if ever result in high grade chances

You don't understand how basic possession metrics work do you? Skating circles and doing nothing with it wouldn't show up anywhere other than having the opponent take less shots against you while you're doing that.

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
games like this have happened way too often since december. they'll really have to step up come playoff time.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's only a franchise record because of OT/SO points instead of ties, it wasn't actually the best team we've ever had. If they changed wins to equal 5 points and we finished last in the league with 110 points, would you still think it being a franchise record matters?

Would you describe setting a new franchise record as "shit"?

That's what I'm arguing with.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If you are "not ****ing impressed" by a franchise record and the best team we've had in a lifetime, I don't know what to tell you, seeing as your just being a whiney baby and not actually thinking rationally about this.

Read his posts, he pretty much whines about everything. He’s a expert you know

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
incapable because the coach decided? in the league good teams have their PP where their players play on their off wing on the PP except frekain' leafs

incapable...?

riihggtt.....
he is yes incapable at the NHL level and why he isn't shifted to the LW, not just talking the PP here either my friend, talking about the 5v5 as well

good teams do i guess and bad teams do as well, but NHL coaches always play to their player's strength's and put them in the positions that allow them to have the most success and in turn that hopefully result in wins

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
No one wants the Leafs in the first round. This team has a 2nd gear, and right now they are just coasting. I think they make one more move for a banger. That's it. Maybe a backup goalie.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He can't help himself. The Leafs have mostly got only Participation Trophies during the term of his fandom, so he doesn't know what real success is.

Honestly, I get it, but I am able to look around the league and see what makes real winners.

We're not the first team to face the trap. In fact, it's been a recurring problem for 3 years with this core when we face the trap. Is it so f***ing out of line to expect our team to finally find a strategy to beat it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad