Post-Game Talk: Leafs shutout by Yotes 2-0

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sadly, the Leafs went from “ If you can’t beat them in the alley, you can’t beat them on the ice” to “ Our power play is our enforcer” ....

The Leafs are assembled to beat teams on the scoreboard, and while that is of course the objective to every game, the Leafs do have limited ways to get that result and known short comings (pun intended) in both size and physicality to achieve that desired goal.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Our last 5 losses have been against non playoff teams. I'd be more concerned if it was playoff teams. We just don't get up for bottom feeders. That's isn't good, but again hardly indicative of how we will do come playoff time.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
And proud of it! I was 11 in 1964, and I remember watching the Leafs win FOUR STANLEY CUPS!
I was 9 in 1964. I really only remember the last Cup win in 1967 as my hockey awareness was fully developed by then.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Our last 5 losses have been against non playoff teams. I'd be more concerned if it was playoff teams. We just don't get up for bottom feeders. That's isn't good, but again hardly indicative of how we will do come playoff time.
Exactly, and while it's not ideal, I'd rather them come out hard for the playoff teams and not for the non-playoff teams. People just need to take a step back and not over-react to everything. The team isn't perfect and won't ever be. If they are half-assing their way to the playoffs, fine by me cause when this team decides to play, they're as good as any team in the league.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Exactly, and while it's not ideal, I'd rather them come out hard for the playoff teams and not for the non-playoff teams. People just need to take a step back and not over-react to everything. The team isn't perfect and won't ever be. If they are half-assing their way to the playoffs, fine by me cause when this team decides to play, they're as good as any team in the league.
Now that Boston has put pressure on us and we have something to fight for, I suspect we start seeing some urgency.

Reactions: illusory

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
How come the Flames were able to easily beat the Coyotes? Good teams can, and will, beat them. Just NOT our Leafs! Pretenders NOT contenders!

Reactions: baton elevated

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was 9 in 1964. I really only remember the last Cup win in 1967 as my hockey awareness was fully developed by then.
True - I probably didn't understand or appreciate the first three as much, but I do remember watching them.

Reactions: Al14

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Sadly, the Leafs went from “ If you can’t beat them in the alley, you can’t beat them on the ice” to “ Our power play is our enforcer” ....

well if the last 40-50 years is any indication, there shouldn't be anything sad about not having to enshrine lunchbucket players any longer. it certainly didn't lead to any Cups, regardless of what may or may not have happened in any alleys.

nor to any particularly great teams, it must be said. 104 points was a pretty sad all-time mark for a franchise like this.

now we're trying a whole bunch of elite talent instead.

like the teams that actually win Stanley Cups do.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
How come the Flames were able to easily beat the Coyotes? Good teams can, and will, beat them. Just NOT our Leafs! Pretenders NOT contenders!

Worst post of the year. Any bottom feeder can beat any contender on any given night. Have you seen any 82-0 teams in all your years of following hockey?

Reactions: illusory

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
well if the last 40-50 years is any indication, there shouldn't be anything sad about not having to enshrine lunchbucket players any longer. it certainly didn't lead to any Cups, regardless of what may or may not have happened in any alleys.

nor to any particularly great teams, it must be said. 104 points was a pretty sad all-time mark for a franchise like this.

now we're trying a whole bunch of elite talent instead.

like the teams that actually win Stanley Cups do.

Someone will always win the Cup and I don’t really care which team does because it won’t change my viewing unless the playoffs are non-hitting, boring style like the Leafs play. In which case, I likely wouldn’t watch.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Worst post of the year. Any bottom feeder can beat any contender on any given night. Have you seen any 82-0 teams in all your years of following hockey?
Not only did our Leafs lose to this bottom feeder on Saturday night, they also lost to them on January 20, 2019. So yeah, call my post the worst post of the year all you want, however, it appears that we can't beat the lowly Coyotes.

It also appears our Leafs are regular losers to non playoff teams! So, stick that in your sanctimonious pipe and smoke it!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not only did our Leafs lose to this bottom feeder on Saturday night, they also lost to them on January 20, 2019. So yeah, call my post the worst post of the year all you want, however, it appears that we can't beat the lowly Coyotes.

It also appears our Leafs are regular losers to non playoff teams! So, stick that in your sanctimonious pipe and smoke it!
If it's any consolation, Leafs lose to playoff teams too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad