Proposal: Leafs shakeup trade

Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 31, 2017
What Toronto needs is for a player like Barrie to play like Barrie had always played like before (meaning what Toronto needs is a coaching change).

I would argue that, at least defensively, Barrie is playing very much like he has always played before - a catastrophe in his own end.

As for the trade proposal, I'm not sure why the Kings would want to trade any marketable assets for Barrie if he is a free agent at the end of this season.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Toronto's keeping their core - only shakeup that's plausible is the headcoach position and maybe landing a backup if the contract can fit with the existing lineup .

I don't see the on ice personnel changing this season.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
The only pieces we wanted from the leafs, Kings got them last year in the Muzzin trade. No thanks to over paid divas who won nothing yet. If, and only if Drew asks for a trade we will want some combination of high picks\prospects\ promising young D + cap to balance it a bit to go along with our rebuild.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sorry why do you listen to 3-4 hrs of leaf radio?

in Canada cable subscribers can opt to get tsn and sports net... these tv channals stream leafs lunch, hockey central, overdrive among other shows... I like the nighttime shows and the sports highlight shows in the evenings too

leaf lunch is the only cant miss for me... but I hate it too... just punish myself watching andi petrillo each day. I enjoy it a lot thought when Toronto is underachieving and hear her trying not to be a girl

the guests on the various Toronto shows are the most connected national sources in the land. the shows have just enough national view to keep me coming back for more

I cant help but be informed on whatever is going on with the leafs though... and when they are sad sack losers I gain some sympathy for them and their fans. it quickly turns to hate if the team has some success but I do take pity on them if they are losing.

I think it will be a real shame if they dont have some success with Mathews/Tavares there. but right now I see nothing good happening with the way they have chosen to build the team and manage the cap. my shakeup might not lead to success, but the status quo is doomed

I dont think nylander is a big enough fish to get back the shakeup they need

honestly I think Tavares is a good enough franchise player... you can probably build a winner around him. maybe trade both marner and Matthews for 4-5-6 good building pieces in return and get the depth that teams have to have to win?

the big problem though is youve now traded 2 first round picks. the chances of lucking into a kid that is going to step into the lineup on an elc and become your missing piece of the puzzle is gone

of Toronto's big 3 10+ million cap hits I would say marner is the one to trade. Getting back a second dman to play with riley is a must. the rest of the trade is open for debate although I think LA would be able to use barrie since the rest of their defense looks like a mess. Toronto has to immediately do something about their backup goaltending too... I think they have 1 point in like 6-7 games that the backup has played...

even if they got 500 hockey out of their backup that 5-6 lost points would get them into the wildcard conversation. you cant just throw away 20 games and 20 points this year.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I do not agree. Doughty at his age does not hold the same value as Marner.
I don't think the Leafs make this trade based on value. If there were to make this trade, that means they are trying to win a cup. I think Doughty /Martinez/Carter gives them a better chance than Marner and Barrie imo.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
so i like to hate the leafs... but thanks to listening to 3-4 hours of sports talk from Toronto each day they are also my second favorite team and I spend time thinking how would I fix them... heres my idea

the trade is with los angeles who need to worry about their rebuild

I am proposing Toronto trades
mitch marner
Tyson barrie
and cody ceci
{2 new guys that havent fit... and obviously marner is the big fish in this trade}

in return Toronto gets
drew doughty
alex martinez
jeff carter {LA retains 1/2 the cap hit}
and jack campbell

the move should be a dramatic upgrade as far as torontos defense goes... a top four of doughty/muzzin and reiley/Martinez should actually be pretty good... and Martinez/doughty are signed next year so this is a 2 year fix

up front Tavares loses his playmaker... but Tavares has proven he can be the playmaker on a line. carter might play better with a new fresh start and going home... I think his style would mesh with Matthews too. and campbell could be expected to earn at least 500% of the points in the games he plays compared to the less than 10% the current backups earn...

for Toronto... this deal would possibly save this season... but also would set the table for next year too. it shaves around 4 mill off the expected cap next year

for LA... id probably recommend resigning barrie as part of their rebuild... and they could keep ceci until some kids develop. marner is a potential team mvp.

I don’t think the Kings would trade Doughty for Marner straight up. And you’re adding Barrie into the mix, who is having an atrocious season so far, so that’s making Marner even less valuable in my opinion. I think LA would hang the phone up quite quickly.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Matthews is not overpaid, he is the real deal. He is just stuck playing for Babcock who holds him back.

Marner is an average winger that overachieved last season. Nylander is better than Marner and makes half the salary.

Wow! I have to disagree with that! Sure, Nylander can stickhandle and has a nice shot (when he gets it on net), but he wouldn’t know how to how play defence if his life counted on it. Do you ever watch him in the offensive zone when he has a chance to check someone who has the puck? He’s f***ing scared!!! HE would be high on my list to trade if I was the GM. Marner is good both on offence and defence (plays on the PK). They are both overpaid, but I would take Marner over Nylander 100 times out of 100, no questions asked!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Any deal involving Marner is going to be a mistake. I honestly don't know why people keep referencing him as being the piece to be moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00