Proposal: Leafs shakeup trade

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
so i like to hate the leafs... but thanks to listening to 3-4 hours of sports talk from Toronto each day they are also my second favorite team and I spend time thinking how would I fix them... heres my idea

the trade is with los angeles who need to worry about their rebuild

I am proposing Toronto trades
mitch marner
Tyson barrie
and cody ceci
{2 new guys that havent fit... and obviously marner is the big fish in this trade}

in return Toronto gets
drew doughty
alex martinez
jeff carter {LA retains 1/2 the cap hit}
and jack campbell

the move should be a dramatic upgrade as far as torontos defense goes... a top four of doughty/muzzin and reiley/Martinez should actually be pretty good... and Martinez/doughty are signed next year so this is a 2 year fix

up front Tavares loses his playmaker... but Tavares has proven he can be the playmaker on a line. carter might play better with a new fresh start and going home... I think his style would mesh with Matthews too. and campbell could be expected to earn at least 500% of the points in the games he plays compared to the less than 10% the current backups earn...

for Toronto... this deal would possibly save this season... but also would set the table for next year too. it shaves around 4 mill off the expected cap next year

for LA... id probably recommend resigning barrie as part of their rebuild... and they could keep ceci until some kids develop. marner is a potential team mvp.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
not going to comment on value just that if this trade went through Toronto would have acquired 50% of LA's dcore in the past 12 months (and they were arguably their best 3)

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I doubt LA trades for a couple pending UFA dmen if they are going to rebuild. Marner is nice but he is heavily paid and didn’t sign a full 8 year contract.
I don’t think the leafs will move Marner, they have took sucking to whole new level without him. Or at least I think I have not checked their record without him

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Leafs really should not be adding another guy with another 11 million dollar salary. I think they'd be better off splitting that money to fill multiple roster spots, if they were to ship one of the big money guys out.

Would also not trade Marner for Doughty. Doughty is in the decline.

Have to remember Rielly will be coming up soon, and Andersen too.

If theres someone on LA I would take, it would be Clifford at roughly 50% retained (necessary for cap reasons).

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's an interesting trade. If I am the Leafs I do it and hope for a cup this year or next. If they don't win they would undoubtedly regret Doughty's contract long-term.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
What I don't understand is why do Leaf fans try to target these big names? Lets go for Doughty, or how about Pietrangelo???

How about Toronto goes after what they really need, a steady 2 way RHD that can play on the PK and be trusted.

I like the idea of Hamonic for Barrie type of deal, that is who I would focus on

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
What I don't understand is why do Leaf fans try to target these big names? Lets go for Doughty, or how about Pietrangelo???

How about Toronto goes after what they really need, a steady 2 way RHD that can play on the PK and be trusted.

I like the idea of Hamonic for Barrie type of deal, that is who I would focus on

For me it's because I think that Hamonic for Barrie would be a terrible trade for Toronto. What Toronto needs is for a player like Barrie to play like Barrie had always played like before (meaning what Toronto needs is a coaching change).

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Can't see the Leafs trading Marner. Nylander is the odd man out. Nylander couldn't get as good as a top 4 right shot though.

Would be pretty crazy to get doughty though.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
As a fan of both teams this actually seems like a pretty fair proposal, good job OP.

For the Leafs they probably give up a bit much in terms of value, but thats what it should cost to get a top 5 d-man in this league.

For the Kings this obviously means a "scorched earth" rebuild, and if they had a deal lined up for Kopitar that included a good young d prospect I'd probably take it. Obviously Barrie and Ceci would be flipped at the deadline for added value.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't think Toronto should be trading Marner for anyone over 27, yeah he's overpayed but an amazing young player nonetheless.

If I'm Toronto my offer for Doughty includes Nylander ++ and if they don't take that then look elsewhere and aim lower.

Nylander + Ceci

Final offer

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Marner for Doughty is what it would take. The rest is a bunch of fluff neither team needs.

LA wants to rebuild so a young Marner makes sense.
TOR wants to compete now so a prime (Yes, still prime) Doughty makes sense and suck up his down years later for a Cup now.

Reactions: YP44 and kbcb

Mar 26, 2010
I don't think Toronto should be trading Marner for anyone over 27, yeah he's overpayed but an amazing young player nonetheless.

If I'm Toronto my offer for Doughty includes Nylander ++ and if they don't take that then look elsewhere and aim lower.
You are right, Marner won’t be traded for any aging players. That being said, he is insanely overrated. He is a $6M winger, nothing more.

Toronto would have to retain a lot of salary to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->