TSN: Leafs set to interview Treliving for GM role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Everyone watch tkachuk trade like a huge mistake but wich choice did he really had...

The guy ask trade and didn't to come back in calgary... do you keep him out NHL without contrat all season, or resign him for a 1 year deal with a guy who dont want to be here and create a pretty bad atmosphere in locker room...

He had no choixe and get what he was able, he still get annhigh skill foward, a topb3 D and a 1st pick

He biggest mistake was maybe Sutter, thats working first seasom
Undoubtedly his biggest mistake is that Huberdeau contract, and possibly the Weegar one.

But that Huberdeau contract is one of the worst in the league. Full NMC too

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not necessarily endorsing Treliving as my preferred option, but he's a capable, veteran GM who isn't going to wow you with his individual brilliance and has exactly the same number of playoff series victories as the previous Leafs GM, with one extra qualifying round victory. Not sexy but not always trying to prove how sexy he is as an executive.

Has made some retro style blockbusters over the years like getting Hamilton out of Boston, doing the Fox, Hamilton deal with Carolina to get Lindholm and Hanifin, drafted Fox, Tkachuk, made the big Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar offseason that fell flat last year, signed Markstrom and Tanev out of Calgary.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Undoubtedly his biggest mistake is that Huberdeau contract, and possibly the Weegar one.

I'm not a Huberdeau fan at all, but I bet he gets back to his scoring ways with Sutter out of the picture and gives them empty calorie Johnny Gaudreau point production. Still a massive downgrade on Tkachuk but what can you really do at gunpoint.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Honestly not the best or worst. The only thing I’d say to some people that are devastated worried, just remember that Calgary never let him do things the right way. They wanted a non stop competitive team and wouldn’t even consider a rebuild. Under the circumstances I believe he did okay.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its the least surprising news. He's the perfect fit for Shanny available immediately, likely willing to take the job and has plenty of experience. I wish he wasn't though.

And it's pretty telling that rather argue in favor of him, people try and claim his terrible moves weren't just his fault......

If he comes I'll hope for the best and for him to make me look foolish for doubting him. But I'm expecting at best for him to be a middle of the road average type, and most likely to be bad overall.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

But who want to play in Calgary, to sign player its kind of city you will need to pay a little bit higher... its a reality

And huberdeau season, it is Sutter negative impact? Sutter style doesn't work with everyone. Hes kind of player whos need to play with a kind of freedom offensivly, kind of thing you will never get with Sutter.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Honestly not the best or worst. The only thing I’d say to some people that are devastated worried, just remember that Calgary never let him do things the right way. They wanted a non stop competitive team and wouldn’t even consider a rebuild. Under the circumstances I believe he did okay.

I will say whoever takes over as GM will have a similar mandate. You won't see a rebuild under him. It will be keeping our contender status and also getting playoff success. He's never accomplished the latter in Calgary either but they did have some good seasons.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Its the least surprising news. He's the perfect fit for Shanny available immediately, likely willing to take the job and has plenty of experience. I wish he wasn't though.

And it's pretty telling that rather argue in favor of him, people try and claim his terrible moves weren't just his fault......

If he comes I'll hope for the best and for him to make me look foolish for doubting him. But I'm expecting at best for him to be a middle of the road average type, and most likely to be bad overall.

I don't excuse the bad stuff at all just like I won't ignore the good stuff. It's the same when I talk about Dubas' performance as a Leafs GM.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Don't really have very positive or negative thoughts on Treliving but here is the trade thread right after the Tkachuk/Huberdeau deal and the consensus was pretty much that Calgary did great.

Very interesting read.

It was a great trade followed by some (an?) Awful signing.

We know why he did it, and why there was pressure, just not the best decision or read on the team and divison

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Also worth remembering the GM search underway isn't to replace the best GM in the league, so we shouldn't really be discouraged at the supposed poor quality of whatever candidate gets mentioned but just get a feel for whatever is out there as the speculation trickles in.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It was a great trade followed by some (an?) Awful signing.

We know why he did it, and why there was pressure, just not the best decision or read on the team and divison

Huberdeau also didn't live up to his end but the question is how much did team dynamic or Darryl Sutter play a role in this?

It has a good chance to be a bad deal with how Tkachuk has played with FLO but it's also likely that Huberdeau will play alot better going forward than he did last season.

Reactions: glue and nuck

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Huberdeau also didn't live up to his end but the question is how much did team dynamic or Darryl Sutter play a role in this?

It has a good chance to be a bad deal with how Tkachuk has played with FLO but it's also likely that Huberdeau will play alot better going forward than he did last season.
He'll be better, without question, the problem is you have him locked up into his late 30s at 10.5M. Hes 29 and his deal hasnt even official started.

Reactions: binop7 and weems

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Going back 8 years to one draft to try and prove a point that treliving is a good drafter isn't a strong argument. Really hope we don't go with him, I'm not sure if he even was better at anything compared to dubas, and dubas was far from perfect.

Seems like we're going with "oh you got experience, then we'll interview you" approach, even though there's multiple candidates with no experience who would probably be better hires like Tulsky.

Reactions: The Iceman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's fair. But genuinely, what's the case for him?

I think his ability of finding good trades and players. Also being able to build a team that, at least on paper, is really good. Not many people predicted that team to implode last season. His drafting is also a lot better than a lot of the other "veteran" GMs, but that can vary a lot depending on scouts and draft position. His 2015 and 2016 drafts were among the best. A lot of the really good value on that team is because of him and a lot of those additions wasn't just an easy thing. He's competent. Not to say he hasn't made bad signing and trade mistakes... but who hasn't? Aside from the Tkachuk trade/Huberdeau extension, what was his worst trade/signing from the top of your head?

Lack of playoff success to me is the big red flag. His coaching hires seem pretty bad as well. Those 2 things seem a lot worse than his actual GM performance of trading/signing/drafting, but they go hand in hand I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafEgo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad