Leafs set to blow up roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think there's still a question of how JVR would do without Kessel on his line. I think Kessel's ability to get his linemates on the stat sheet is pretty underrated, considering what he does for Bozak and considering that JVR has increased his scoring pace dramatically since coming to the Leafs and playing exclusively with Kessel. How would he fare if Phil was traded? Would he stand on his own or would he falter like Bozak probably would? And as much as I like JVR, if he's not scoring he's not bringing much else despite his size.

that's a huge question as well as how he'd handle a rebuild

JVR's value may never be higher and hopefully the team explores what they could get for him in a trade .

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
That's just what we need... three C's on your list who are on the decline, plus RoR, who really is a very good #2. That is what got us into this mess to begin with, trading for older guys, instead of rebuilding from the start. These days you find these guys in the draft. Prepare to be disappointed, let's do this properly.
I want one vet. He can teach our youngsters. Others can be young and beautiful. Get one vet, it doesn't kill anybody. We need a warrior, hero who's a vet. With that thousand yard stare.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
i've been mulling this trade: JvR to NYI for Dal Colle + Reinhart

JvR would light it up with JT. Leafs get two solid prospects to build with

This could be horrible short sighted...if in 5 years leafs are ready to contend JVR is 29 and JT is 27 or 28, we have no chance against that lol especially playoff mode JVR

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
HB8mnxd.gif

Oh wait...its Simmons:sarcasm:

If indeed this is true. I hope they put somebody they expect to be here in 3 years in charge of this.

For once it would be nice to see a total rebuild. Not like the Stempniak - Hagman era.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think the Leafs are good keeping JVR. You still need first-line wingers even while you rebuild. If you ship absolutely everyone with any talent or ability out, who protects the prospects from being put in unwinnable situations while they develop? You need to keep a bit of talent and leadership on the ice and in the room.

I wouldn't mind if they trade Kessel for the same reasons. He's too pudgy and lazy, and sets the wrong tone. I want a hard-ass, all-for-one and one-for-all Gary Roberts attitude not a wake-me-up-when-summer-is-over because I've only skated twice since the end of the regular season attitude that Kessel brings. Throw out the donuts and video games -- bring on the exercise bikes and triathalons!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This could be horrible short sighted...if in 5 years leafs are ready to contend JVR is 29 and JT is 27 or 28, we have no chance against that lol especially playoff mode JVR

JT and JVR wouldn't work 5 on 5 so i wouldn't worry too much about a couple of one way players who float in open ice and down low in the offensive end while waiting for their line mates to do the spade work and get them the puck .

I also wouldn't worry where he gets traded too as long as we got the best return possible .

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Be careful for what you wish for. Have you seen the Oilers lately? Or have you seen the oiler for the last 10 years?

9 years. Oilers actually made it to the SC finals in 2006. Leafs fans may regret a rebuild if it takes that long.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
i've been mulling this trade: JvR to NYI for Dal Colle + Reinhart

JvR would light it up with JT. Leafs get two solid prospects to build with

I would cream myself if we got Reinhart. Getting Dal Colle too though? I feel like that's major overpayment for the Isles. 2 REALLY high recent 1sts for JVR seems too steep a price.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I would cream myself if we got Reinhart. Getting Dal Colle too though? I feel like that's major overpayment for the Isles. 2 REALLY high recent 1sts for JVR seems too steep a price.

Yeah, that's absurd.

Not to mention the Islanders are at a good average age for most of their core players, and are under no "win now" sort of pressure.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012

1st(4)+ 1st(5) for 1st(2) Actually very close and factor in his contract. Plus he has experience where the other players are still young with a lot to prove. JVR probably still holds more value, where it would be JVR+something smaller (maybe Robidas and more from Islanders side), For Rienhart+Dal Cole+Collberg Something along those lines I think is pretty close.

Gotta remember JVR has played 378 games at a .62 PPG. The 3 of them combine for 8 games 1 point. JVR is proven that has value.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
JT and JVR wouldn't work 5 on 5 so i wouldn't worry too much about a couple of one way players who float in open ice and down low in the offensive end while waiting for their line mates to do the spade work and get them the puck .

I also wouldn't worry where he gets traded too as long as we got the best return possible .

Who wouldn't? What return do you expect or are you just going to sit in the weeds and second guess.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who wouldn't? What return do you expect or are you just going to sit in the weeds and second guess.

Why should we give a damn where he goes if we're rebuilding ? I'd much prefer maximizing the return than worry whether we'd have to face him in the playoffs years down the road .

We don't even know if the Leafs want to deal him , never mind speculating on what might be offered or by who so it makes it difficult to give you an opinion on what i'd like back other than a general pick/prospect/young player answer .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad