Leafs set to blow up roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
Just read a pretty good article in the Sun from Steve Simmons. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

"No one will come out and say it out loud: That the tear-down of the Maple Leafs is about to begin.

That for the first time in the modern history of the club, the Leafs are headed to a bare-bones, strip-the-engine, long-term rebuild.
The expectation from inside Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is that the Leafs will make at least five deals between now and the NHL trade deadline of March 2 and that the larger, maybe more controversial moves — in what could be a four- or five-year project — will be considered and worked through after the season has ended.
Almost every player on the roster is considered to be in play for the Leafs and the rest of the NHL. According to a variety of sources, teams in the hotly contested Western Conference are expected to be the most active at the deadline, with so much at stake come the post-season. The Leafs intend to stockpile as many young players, prospects and draft picks as possible.
The breakdown of the Leafs roster — who is likely to be dealt, when and why — follows here. The information, while speculative, comes from reliable, professional working NHL executives."

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/02/09/maple-leafs-set-to-blow-up-roster

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Simmons does have sound insider information. Doesn't break a lot of things though.

Not really earth shattering but it's nice to finally start seeing smoke. Hopefully the fires blow up.

The categories are:

Untouchables: Rielly and JVR

For sale: Franson, Winnik, Santorelli, Bozak, Lupul and Polak

Should stay barring a great return: Kadri, Gardiner and Bernier

For sale, but off-season moves: Phaneuf and Kessel

Unmoveable: Clarkson

Unsure: Holzer and Booth

The rest likely to stay: Reimer (?), Holland, Panik, Robidas

All these make sense except for Reimer. They should put the For Sale sign next to his name. Perhaps he doesn't get moved due to the demand being low, but at least get his name out there.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I was pretty anti tank, but given this group, given how much I dislike the majority of the key players on this team, im fine with rolling the dice on a rebuild.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
Thanks for sharing. Good breakdown of all the Leafs who might and should be shipped out and who are untouchable (Rielly and JVR).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just read a pretty good article in the Sun from Steve Simmons.

"No one will come out and say it out loud: That the tear-down of the Maple Leafs is about to begin.

That for the first time in the modern history of the club, the Leafs are headed to a bare-bones, strip-the-engine, long-term rebuild

I have been referring to this as DeBurkenizing the Leafs for a while now.

It's just too bad we had to endure 6 years of suffering.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i wish we would keep Santorelli and Winnik. They play the game the right way. Work hard on and off the ice. Good models for our younger players.

Kessel, JvR, and Phaneuf can all GTFO.

torleaffan

May 5, 2014
A true rebuild..something that has been needed for 20 years. I'm looking forward to it. Now let's hope the "poobahs" Rogers, Bell and Tanenbaum don't try to stop it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
i wish we would keep Santorelli and Winnik. They play the game the right way. Work hard on and off the ice. Good models for our younger players.

Kessel, JvR, and Phaneuf can all GTFO.

Winnik and Santo can be brought back in the summer when they are UFAs just like last year.. Right now its more important we start accumulating picks and prospects to build up one the NHL's weakest prospect systems. It's mission critical to the draft rebuild process.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I have been referring to this as DeBurkenizing the Leafs for a while now.

It's just too bad we had to endure 6 years of suffering.

Unfortunately Nonuts ain't the man to do it.

I'll believe this and jump for joy when I see it but have no hopes for it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A true rebuild..something that has been needed for 20 years. I'm looking forward to it. Now let's hope the "poobahs" Rogers, Bell and Tanenbaum don't try to stop it.

Those "poobahs" are holding the purse strings so they're the ones calling the ultimate shots here on the direction of the team. ;)

Shanny would not be undertaking this rebuild process (if true) if Leafs BOG wasn't signing off on it as its their team.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
I still don't believe that Rogers and Bell will allow it. The tear-down part sure but not the rebuilding through the draft over several years.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Winnik and Santo can be brought back in the summer when they are UFAs just like last year.. Right now its more important we start accumulating picks and prospects to build up one the NHL's weakest prospect systems. It's mission critical to the draft rebuild process.

hopefully they bring them back. Oilers biggest mistake was not surrounding their young stars with solid veterans to keep them in check. I don't want Rielly, Nylander and our 1st pick from this year turning into self-entitled Prima Donnas

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I still don't believe that Rogers and Bell will allow it. The tear-down part sure but not the rebuilding through the draft over several years.

If that's the case, we should all just boycott all Robbers and Hell services. Who needs cable nowadays anyways with just about anything and everything being streamed online, and I can go get my Internet and phone plan elsewhere. I mean, if the fact that they collude, fix prices, and pretty much run a wireless cartel wouldn't make you boycott,this should give you a pretty damn good reason to. Hit them in their wallets.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
JVR for Ryan Strome !

Kessel for Seth Jones !

Phaneuf for Ritchie + 1st !

and if we really want to be bad...

Bernier for a 1st!

Bozak for whatever.

Only untouchables: Kadri, Nylander, Rielly and ANY DRAFT PICK

Status
Not open for further replies.