GDT: Leafs-Sens Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

Jan 14, 2014
i watch the slow motion gif and it does look like it just slightly misses. So i don't expect anything to come out of this review.

Even if it did go in, i doubt they would reverse it. All that would happen is that nhl would send a apology to the sens.

we would all rise up together and demand a point!

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
One thing I have mixed feelings about is how Cameron has been using Hoffman. I know it's the old "darn if you do and darn if you don't" thing but I'm not sure Cameron should be playing Hoffman so little. Hoffman was on the ice for a bad goal last night but he wasn't alone. They need goals and have a natural goal scorer sitting on the bench. Hoffman does make a few defensive mistakes and his good + stats have been dropping lately (now +16) but then so does MacArthur in my eyes and his stats are even worse at -9 yet he plays a lot more. I know MacArthur is a vet and goes to the dirty areas a bit more while Hoffman plays a more perimeter game looking for the open shooting position. So which is better the guy who puts himself in a position to score and does so regularly or the guy who plays a more gritty game. I think you need both but not necessarily to the same degree in the same player.

Like Stache before him this coach is trying to make complete players out of offensive players. They hope it's "short term pain for long term gain" but I'm of the opinion that you can only take that so far especially at this time of year with so much at stake. I could understand it if the Sens were 3 goals up like the last time they played the Leafs (and lost) but last night they desperately needed a goal and a key weapon Hoffman spent most of the night sitting on the bench. Cameron seems willing to accept the point in regulation instead of going for broke by using a slightly less defensively aware player and playing for the win. At times coaches can out-coach themselves and make life harder for themselves and the team.

Last edited:

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
We're 3-11-1 all time at the ACC in April.

I don't get it.

I understand we've been playing "must win" games for a while but when it comes to playing "must win" games against this team, we always falter

im guessing that includes the playoff series' in the early 2000s, the leafs were pretty good in that era. also, home ice is pretty huge in the playoffs

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Only for the fans

I can guarantee that it weighs heavy on the minds of Boro, Ceci, Methot, and Pageau. Those guys grew up as fans (not sure about Pageau..) and they are well aware of the heartache and stigma of losing to the Leafs.

That's why I thought all of them were trying harder than usual to be offensively involved. I've never seen Methot and Boro rush into the play as much as yesterday.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I unno bout u guys but its quite obvious why Toronto that successful against vs in April.

For one, the teams we had before this year were not clutch at all so that makes sense.

Secondly, you guys seriously dont understand how we are everything Toronto wishes to be and that when they face us they literally play better against us than any other team. Lmao, so envious it's too much of a coincidence.

Clutch players + better team will change all that, dw folks.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I often ask myself what would mean more to Ottawa fans (including myself)... Beating Toronto in a playoff series would probably top a cup is the conclusion I've come to.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I can guarantee that it weighs heavy on the minds of Boro, Ceci, Methot, and Pageau. Those guys grew up as fans (not sure about Pageau..) and they are well aware of the heartache and stigma of losing to the Leafs.

That's why I thought all of them were trying harder than usual to be offensively involved. I've never seen Methot and Boro rush into the play as much as yesterday.

No doubt those guys are well aware and committed to the battle of Ontario and it's important for them too having had close contact with the local fan base and possibly being part of it as they grew up but I highly doubt decades old Sens failures cause any psychological hangups on the current team which is what I was responding to.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What fans fail to grasp sometimes is just how competitive this league is. Every team is potentially good, and the Leafs have some solid NHLers. I mean, look at David Booth last night. Dude was a beast. John Tortorella had to be watching that and wondering, "Where the #$%$ was that when I was in Vancouver?" Jonathan Bernier, a goalie who you know can be all-world when he's on, was playing out of his mind. It happens. Last week in Toronto, I thought we played poorly. Last night, the Leafs played very well.

Two guys who continually look like liabilities to me, though, are Gryba and Smith. Smith just brings nothing to the party up front - I would scratch him for Chris Neil in a New York minute. At least Neiler can agitate and chip in with the occasional dirty goal. As for Gryba, dude is just a dumpster fire in his own end - every shift is an adventure. He should be planked for Cowen, who I think handles the puck significantly better than Gryba does. (I would sit both of them for a healthy Chris Phillips, who I think would be a good fit in the third pairing playing sheltered minutes.)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Joffrey Lupul ‏@JLupul 8m8 minutes ago
If it went in they should make it right and give them the two points.

Joffrey Lupul ‏@JLupul 2m2 minutes ago
I can't tell to be honest, but I'm sure there is better views than I have. If I was on the other side I can only imagine what I'd be saying.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada

I can't tell to be honest, but I'm sure there is better views than I have. If I was on the other side I can only imagine what I'd be saying.

I'd like for them to release the overhead, the thing I think I saw is it hit Bernier's skate and goes wide or just misses. I don't know why we make a big deal because of this, of course we need the point badly but what can you say, I don't think the league can overturn a game like that can they?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Methot shot a magic puck from the icy knoll.

There was a woman sitting a few rows behind the net wearing a babushka that may have had the best view of this whole incident. Someone should try to contact her.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I'd like for them to release the overhead, the thing I think I saw is it hit Bernier's skate and goes wide or just misses. I don't know why we make a big deal because of this, of course we need the point badly but what can you say, I don't think the league can overturn a game like that can they?

Even if they dont overturn it, knowing that we actually beat them is huge. For fans and for players.

KingK

Jan 14, 2014

If it was proven that it is was a goal, considering the points importance, i think it would at least be discussed.. it was in overtime after all.. the one instance in when you could actually overturn a decision IMO

I for one would like to see the airplane overhead view that they use to disprove / prove goals all the time....

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I've met Joffrey Lupul a couple of times. Honestly, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

This is the 'best' overhead I've seen so far.
You'd think the ACC would have high speed cameras overhead though.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

This is the 'best' overhead I've seen so far.
You'd think the ACC would have high speed cameras overhead though.

my only issue with that extrapolated view is that why didnt we hear a clank or why didnt the puck bounce accordingly to hitting the post. im just want the a slowed down view released so its all resolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad