GDT: Leafs @ Sens 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think its good that the Leafs are trying to round out this years roster with more gritty type players than in the past.

They needed more push back ability throughout their roster, and it will make them tougher to play against particularly come playoff time.

Lots of Leaf fans have been calling for this for a while, that you can't get by on just offensive skill and good wheels alone, and a good well rounded team needs players that both bark and bite.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
How many emergency 2C fill ins got to play with the best performer on the team scoring a goal almost every game?

Are you ready to claim Kerfoot is the reason for Nylander's performance? From what I saw Nylander carried that line.

Also the team using Kerfoot as their 2C choked a series away to the Habs so can't tell if you're even serious right now.

Also nice way to misconstrue what I said. When I mentioned the fill in 2C I merely meant it's not enough reason to consider him untouchable.

So willy doesn't even need linemates anymore. Sweet

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think its good that the Leafs are trying to round out this years roster with more gritty type players than in the past.

They needed more push back ability throughout their roster, and it will make them tougher to play against particularly come playoff time.

Lots of Leaf fans have been calling for this for a while, that you can't get by on just offensive skill and good wheels alone, and a good well rounded team needs players that both bark and bite.
Is it the grit or the coaching? We will soon see. I dont like penalties but it is usually an indicator of team aggression. Keeping the p-minutes around the league average will be a good sign. Nobody makes an omelette without cracking some eggs.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Wasn't crazy about the effort last night, a couple of guys kept up their level of play Kampf, Bunting, Ho-Sang, Brooks and Kase but nobody really stood out with the exception of Campbell who was very solid between the pipes with some big saves. Looks like the Marlies will have some decent guys on D, Dahlstrom, Biega and Duszak will form a pretty good bottom 4 "core" of Dmen

Engvall gets a star for his 2 goals and not his overall play, I didn't like his second goal, it was a nice skate but the puck was sliding in by itself, he basically lifted a goal out of Semyonov's wallet. That won't really endear him to anyone on the club, although he's probably earned himself a bottom 6 role, but I would look at moving him and keeping somebody who possess' a little more offensive skill. I think the Leafs are going to need every last bit of offense they can muster to finish in the money in the Atlantic division. Unless he starts in Montreal tonight he has one more chance to really up his game and do some really hard work on the forecheck and use his size to his advantage.

On to Montreal tonight for the JT and Willie show, Montreal is probably going to ice what is likely their real line-up for this season

Reactions: Macallan18

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Shout out to Jack in this one who looked rock solid, and far better than in his shaky debut.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
They're missing some roster spots to protect a few more bubble guys from waivers.

They need to see what they have before they waive goodbye.

This year, more than ever, the Leafs make their final roster cuts at their own peril.
10 of the forward slots and 5 or 6 of the D slots are pretty much locked up , they aren't making any decisions based on last nights game and the guys that don't need waivers are mostly going down either way so like I said , Ice the team and keep a few guys around who are really going to be rotating healthy scratch guys at the start of the season and clear out the other 18-20 guys that are distractions at this point . Makes the actual group more cohesive .

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
10 of the forward slots and 5 or 6 of the D slots are pretty much locked up , they aren't making any decisions based on last nights game and the guys that don't need waivers are mostly going down either way so like I said , Ice the team and keep a few guys around who are really going to be rotating healthy scratch guys at the start of the season and clear out the other 18-20 guys that are distractions at this point . Makes the actual group more cohesive .
There's not going to be much rotation with a 21-man roster.

They would have to clear some cap room to carry two or three extra players. As it is, they can only carry one.

In that case, they sure as hell have to make sure they keep the right on-the-bubble players because the others could be lost on waivers.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2021-10-13_18-48-33.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad