GDT: Leafs @ Sens 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Big audition for what is likely our 3rd line come Oct 13th. First time seeing Kerfoot with Kampf-Kase. Should be a responsible line that plays with a lot of pace.
-Looking for Brooks and Ho-sang to keep pushing for a job. As well as Robertson (although I feel he starts a Marlie due to waiver exemption)
-Muzzin & Holl to look stellar together like they often are
-And lastly it looks like Sandin has the inside track on the 3rd pairing job. So looking for a solid performance from the Sandin-Dermott pairing tonight. It's a shifty pairing, but they need to up their physicality in the corners and around the net front.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Big audition for what is likely our 3rd line come Oct 13th. First time seeing Kerfoot with Kampf-Kase. Should be a responsible line that plays with a lot of pace.
-Looking for Brooks and Ho-sang to keep pushing for a job. As well as Robertson (although I feel he starts a Marlie due to waiver exemption)
-Muzzin & Holl to look stellar together like they often are
-And lastly it looks like Sandin has the inside track on the 3rd pairing job. So looking for a solid performance from the Sandin-Dermott pairing tonight. It's a shifty pairing, but they need to up their physicality in the corners and around the net front.

I like Sandin, Lily and Dermott but I am not sure I like a Sandin Lily/Dermott 3rd pairing. Dermott is much better on the left side and risky to role out a rookie 3rd pairing. Not sure we can afford to experiment much given how close the top 4 teams in the Atlantic will finish IMO.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I like Sandin, Lily and Dermott but I am not sure I like a Sandin Lily/Dermott 3rd pairing. Dermott is much better on the left side and risky to role out a rookie 3rd pairing. Not sure we can afford to experiment much given how close the top 4 teams in the Atlantic will finish IMO.

It really doesn't matter what we choose to do, there are risks to it.

If we don't run Sandin, we don't know if we can afford to lose Rielly. We should run a platoon, to give everyone time, but the cap. This is the year, that Dermott "should" break out, if he's going to be more than he's shown so far, so it's tough to risk losing him. As you say, it's a risk to run Dermott on the Right side, if he continues to not be as effective there.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see the following work out;

Mo Brodie
Muzzin Lily
Sandin Dermott..

But that doesn't seem to be in the cards for now.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If we don't run Sandin, we don't know if we can afford to lose Rielly. We should run a platoon, to give everyone time, but the cap. This is the year, that Dermott "should" break out, if he's going to be more than he's shown so far, so it's tough to risk losing him. As you say, it's a risk to run Dermott on the Right side, if he continues to not be as effective there.

Mo Brodie
Muzzin Lily
Sandin Dermott..

Agreed. I was thinking more like:

Mo Brodie
Muzzin Lily
Sandin/Dermy Holl (it would be embarrassing if Holl was the odd man out after doing what they did to protect him from being taken by Seattle).

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Hopefully Kerfoot can show something. Pre-season w/ guaranteed spot so I get if he's coasting but at the same time he hasn't shown that he has a big edge on some of our new depth players. Seeing that he makes 3.5 mil with a very tradeable contract structure, he should try harder due to the competition. Guaranteed spot doesn't mean you can't be traded. Put on a little show for even one period then go back to coasting. The competition has been weak. Off the top of my head he is behind Bunting, Ho-Sang, Kase, Kampf and Brooks in pre-season play.

A depth player like Connor Brown @ 3.6 mil stands out against competition like this. If Kerfoot only blends in, time to shed the salary.

Reactions: Cobra777

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Agreed. I was thinking more like:

Mo Brodie
Muzzin Lily
Sandin/Dermy Holl (it would be embarrassing if Holl was the odd man out after doing what they did to protect him from being taken by Seattle).

I don't know if embarrassing is the right term. There is a risk to Lily not being capable of playing in the spot, and that's another risk we can't afford to be wrong on. If we depend on Lily being that guy, he doesn't work out (I think he will), and Holl is gone... then what!!! It was the right move, even if Holl is displaced. Holl being displaced, and either traded, or saved as depth would be pretty good for the squad.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hopefully Kerfoot can show something. Pre-season w/ guaranteed spot so I get if he's coasting but at the same time he hasn't shown that he has a big edge on some of our new depth players. Seeing that he makes 3.5 mil with a very tradeable contract structure, he should try harder due to the competition. Guaranteed spot doesn't mean you can't be traded. Put on a little show for even one period then go back to coasting. The competition has been weak. Off the top of my head he is behind Bunting, Ho-Sang, Kase, Kampf and Brooks in pre-season play.

A depth player like Connor Brown @ 3.6 mil stands out against competition like this. If Kerfoot only blends in, time to shed the salary.

The Leafs know what they have in Kerfoot. IMO nothing in the preseason is going to change their opinion. I see him as our #3C or #2 or #3 LWer if they decide to go with Kampf at #3C.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Nick Ritchie hasn't dressed for a lot of games. As a new guy I thought he might get more time to adapt to new teammates.

Neither Marner, and obviously Matthews playing, so it makes sense if that's where he's slated to start the year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Back to back, tonight and tomorrow.... if someone isn't playing tonight, they will be tomorrow, and vice versa.

Tomorrow we should get.

Tavares
Nylander
Marner
Ritchie
Mikheyev
Anderson
Gogolev
Gusev
SDA
Gabriel
Abramov
McKenna
Seney

Rielly
Brodie
Liljegren
Kral
Mennell
Dahlstrom
Rubins
Duszak

Mrazek
Hutch.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Where Kerfoot becomes of value to us is if Matthews or Tavares go down. he's easily plugged in beside Nylander in the 2C spot. He also gives us another PK center behind Kampf

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Mo Brodie
Muzzin Lily
Sandin Dermott..

There's going to be plenty of opportunity for 7 dmen to play.

We'll likely need contributions from 8 or 9, tbh.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey mess last game you were really interested to see how our depth guys played without "riding coattails" - care to share your observations with us?
"They played well so I won't comment on it"

"When they don't play well, I will comment on it as it shows this team has no depth"

Reactions: thinkblue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Back to back, tonight and tomorrow.... if someone isn't playing tonight, they will be tomorrow, and vice versa.

Tomorrow we should get.

Tavares
Nylander
Marner
Ritchie
Mikheyev
Anderson
Gogolev
Gusev
SDA
Gabriel
Abramov
McKenna
Seney

Rielly
Brodie
Liljegren
Kral
Mennell
Dahlstrom
Rubins
Duszak

Mrazek
Hutch.
Keefe said some guys will play both games.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Another chance tonight for all the bubble and depth players to make a good impression and attempt to earn a roster spot.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I feel like the chances of the top 4 being anything but the following on opening night are 0%:

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl

I dont think there is any chance Holl starts on the 3rd pairing. Unfortunately one of Sandin or Lily will be rotated in and out of the lineup with Dermott making up the other side of the 3rd pairing

Reactions: Jeypic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad