Sportsnet: Leafs Search To Replace Mark Hunter And Possibly Lamoriello

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This article doesn't fit @The CyNick notion that no one good wants to come work for Dubas...

Than again, he probably believes he's smarter than Friedman anyways.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His golf cart issue just smacks entitlement and old boys club. Not competence, professionalism or focus.
Certainly wasn't a good moment for him but it was also out of character. I'm guessing there are parts of this story we haven't been reported or I would think he would have been turfed immediately.

Reactions: diceman934

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
He's been responsible or part of our US (amateur only?) scouting system. I have no idea how he's made it this far, along with a couple other scouts that have stuck around, but I assume it's because they are good yes men and they are well respected in the community.

I don't have to tell you how awful our USHL/NCAA/US scouting has been for the most part. We have to be the worst team in the league finding talent in that league. Frattin? Stalberg? Pateryn? Valiev (was USHL)... Our best finds were an undrafted UFA in Bozak where everyone wanted him and UFA goaltender Ben Scrivens. That's almost 2 decades worth and that's from the top of my head. Recently, Bracco and Moore have done alright but they have lot's to prove and Joseph Woll might become a decent goaltender.

There will be changes made in the scouting group for sure but I believe it will be done throughout the summer when contracts expire and what not.

Guys like Speltz and Paliafito were added by Shanahan with Hunters approval and they certainly the same luxury as Hunter. Same for Vuori . I don't see why they would leave at this point since they probably all make a decent wage with their current titles. The only one I see leaving for sure is Hofford because he's been Hunters right hand man for a long time and he probably didn't make many friends internally with his DUI.

Unless you include Matthews...then it looks a whole lot better.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why not?

Performance based or some else?
Office politics is why he's gone. He's Hunter's right-hand man, so no way Dubas wants him around.

I don't think he's a good scout. Outside of Marner, the Knights drafting in the GTA (which was Hofford's region) has been hit and miss, and keep in mind he's known Marner since he was 10.

Hofford looks good because he had Mark around. I also don't think Palifito is a great scout either.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Office politics is why he's gone. He's Hunter's right-hand man, so no way Dubas wants him around.

I don't think he's a good scout. Outside of Marner, the Knights drafting in the GTA (which was Hofford's region) has been hit and miss, and keep in mind he's known Marner since he was 10.

Hofford looks good because he had Mark around. I also don't think Palifito is a great scout either.

I was always of the opinion that Dubas was going to ax the guys Hunter has close ties to either way

I'd imagine we're going to lose a lot of guys that were working in the GTA I'm just not sure who we're going to replace them with, any ideas of guys youd be interested in?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was always of the opinion that Dubas was going to ax the guys Hunter has close ties to either way

I'd imagine we're going to lose a lot of guys that were working in the GTA I'm just not sure who we're going to replace them with, any ideas of guys youd be interested in?
Hunter and Hofford were barely ever at MLSE headquarters. They were constantly on the road. No idea on who they might get for Ontario outside of Wes Clark and Carneiro. I don't think veteran scouts are lining up to work under Dubas, but money talks.

Reactions: Kiwi

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Shanahan was unaware of agreement for Lamoriello to talk to Tavares (NY Post)
Larry Brooks reports that neither Islanders GM Garth Snow or Leafs President Brendan Shanahan were aware of the agreement for Lou Lamoriello to talk to John Tavares about his status ahead of free agency before Lamoriello officially left for the Islanders organization.
The deal between the Islanders and Maple Leafs that allowed Lou Lamoriello to talk with John Tavares even while the exec was still under contract as a senior adviser to Toronto was orchestrated by ownership, Slap Shots has learned.
It is believed that neither Islanders’ then-president and apparently still-GM Garth Snow nor the Maple Leafs’ president Brendan Shanahan was aware of the agreement. In fact, we’re further told that Snow and coach Doug Weight were kept out of the loop regarding ownership’s talks with Lamoriello while the two men were scouting at the World Championships in Denmark.

[Leafs Links] Travis Dermott on Timothy Liljegren: "His skill level is definitely NHL-ready"; Brooks: Brendan Shanahan, Garth Snow unaware of initial Lou Lamoriello contact with John Tavares | Maple Leafs Hotstove

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs should make a big stink about this. Imagine the outrage if the Leafs pulled this stunt?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sounds like the Leafs did pull this stunt.

Agreed.

A Leaf exec Lou Lam spoke to a pending UFA JT but still under contract to the NYI's until July 1st, put apparently with NYI ownership approval to avoid Isles charging the Leafs with tampering charges.

The problem seems to be between Shanahan and Lou Lam on what Lou could and couldn't do before taking the NYI's senior position permanently.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
No rush to hire. You need to be flexible and opportunistic and by not rushing to hire someone until more personnel contracts expire we are accomplishing exactly that.

Going to be a busy June for Dubas and his assistants without a scouting director though. Thankfully he’s hired assistants that have a huge breadth of knowledge on various front office positions.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's the Leafs we are talking about. Not to sound arrogant but they will have no issues getting top front office talent. They will pay more than any team and so many top people are from Ontario and would love to work with the Leafs.
Mark Hunter might get offers to be GM in the future and the pay will be less than he was getting as assistant GM. Look at what Carolina is paying as GM. People often ignored that angle.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
For all of those who thought their would be little or no fallout from the ridiculous hire of Dubas, hang onto your hats the repercussions have just begun. Stay tuned for the chaos in the front office with inside staffers picking allegiances. Poor young Dubas is in a no win situation. If the Leafs do well, it will be because previous braintrust had set them on the path to success. If the Leafs slide, it will all be Dubas fault.

Reactions: mavis

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
For all of those who thought their would be little or no fallout from the ridiculous hire of Dubas, hang onto your hats the repercussions have just begun. Stay tuned for the chaos in the front office with inside staffers picking allegiances. Poor young Dubas is in a no win situation. If the Leafs do well, it will be because previous braintrust had set them on the path to success. If the Leafs slide, it will all be Dubas fault.
LOL. He's GM of the Marlies and they are in the finals.
55 year-old Mark Hunter has had 0 GM offers. by age 31, there were 2 teams that wanted to hire Dubas as GM. He is the best young hockey mind in the NHL.
Colorado was going to give the keys to the organization to him last year. Why is no one ever asking to talk to Mark Hunter?

Reactions: stickty111

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
LOL. He's GM of the Marlies and they are in the finals.
55 year-old Mark Hunter has had 0 GM offers. by age 31, there were 2 teams that wanted to hire Dubas as GM. He is the best young hockey mind in the NHL.
Colorado was going to give the keys to the organization to him last year. Why is no one ever asking to talk to Mark Hunter?

Psst, it’s a parody account.

dzombs

Jul 8, 2016
Well I will say this.... The greatest thing Hunter did and I will forever love him for it, is his battle with babcock over picking Marner. I am sooooooooo f***ing happy we drafted Marner in that draft.

Reactions: Lauro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad