Sportsnet: Leafs Search To Replace Mark Hunter And Possibly Lamoriello

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
LOL. He's GM of the Marlies and they are in the finals.
55 year-old Mark Hunter has had 0 GM offers. by age 31, there were 2 teams that wanted to hire Dubas as GM. He is the best young hockey mind in the NHL.
Colorado was going to give the keys to the organization to him last year. Why is no one ever asking to talk to Mark Hunter?

Don't just dwell on Hunter. There is much more disillusionment than just him. I predict the media, management and fans will be quite uncomplimentary by Feb. 1

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Head of amateur scouting?
Not sure. So far he's been a director of player development in the soo, player evaluation consultant for the Leafs and amateur scout for Florida.
Wasn't too long ago he was with the Leafs, 2011-2015.

@93LEAFS why didn't you like him again? Was it the Tippet pick?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He doesn't have a great reputation around the OHL.

Tippett over Vilardi bugs me (although not a crippling offense). I was hoping we would hire someone way more qualified. Hunter didn't want him on his staff as a scout and Lou fired him. That isn't a ringing endorsement in my eyes.
I thought Florida stole him from us?

Leafs consultant Wes Clark moves on to the Florida Panthers

Doesn't sound like he was fired but offered a better job, I could be wrong.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Clark likes to use stats a lot in his analysis I can see why he’s rub a lot of traditional scouting guys the wrong way.

All that matters now is if he can get better results than Hunter.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If Clark likes to use stats a lot in his analysis I can see why he’s rub a lot of traditional scouting guys the wrong way.

All that matters now is if he can get better results than Hunter.
Maybe that's why Florida is willing to let him go too. Think they've purged everyone who believes in that analytical magic.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe that's why Florida is willing to let him go too. Think they've purged everyone who believes in that analytical magic.
Didn't they hire Clark like a month after they fired Luce and some scouts? July 2016 I think is when we lost him to Florida?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't trust anybody until I see there results and Dubas doesn't have any as Leafs GM

I also like merit based hiring, it tends to end up better

agreed and as of right now Hunter has no results as head of scouting either. Dermott I guess is as close as he has come so far, I know its early but there are a lot of picks we/he made that don't look so good. We haven't offered contracts to at least 4 of his draft picks already. Id imagine a super scout would at least get most of his picks ELC's, its improbable for more than 2 or 3 from one draft to make the NHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
is there somewhere we can see picks that were made when clark was head of scouting? either Florida or the Soo?

Last edited by a moderator:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
is there somewhere we can see picks that were made when clark was head of scouting? either Florida or the Soo?

I assume he is the Ontario area scout for the Panthers. They drafted Tippett, Mascherin, Ang and Stillman out of the OHL last 2 seasons. Nothing outlandish in there, although Mascherin appears to be walking which is a tough break for the Panthers.

Not exactly sure of the work he did there but the Soo were a top notch drafting team while he was there from what I gather. Their 2014 priority draft in particular was really good.

Last edited:

Growler

May 16, 2018
Rumor that Ken Holland wants the Seattle job and may offer Hunter AGM of the Wings as part of the succession.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rumor that Ken Holland wants the Seattle job and may offer Hunter AGM of the Wings as part of the succession.

What if Seattle doesn't want Holland because they have found someone else? Will Hunter take his ball and go home again?

He should go back to the Knights, do his thing and wait for a call for a GM job. If he's as good as people say he is, he won't have to wait for long.

Reactions: Walshy7

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Yes, let's talk about actual news.

It makes sense. I've always figured that if Hunter goes anywhere, Detroit made the most sense. That's a tough job though. Holland has that team with a lot of long bad contracts, and DET's drafting hasn't been that good.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I assume he is the Ontario area scout for the Panthers. They drafted Tippett, Mascherin, Ang and Stillman out of the OHL last 2 seasons. Nothing outlandish in there, although Mascherin appears to be walking which is a tough break for the Panthers.

Not exactly sure of the work he did there but the Soo were a top notch drafting team while he was there from what I gather. Their 2014 priority draft in particular was really good.

the panthers picks from last draft all seem to be doing ok too, except maybe one dman they picked who only put up 4 points. And I guess Tippet over vilardi but there is nothing outlandish from him. For someone to be considered incompetent id expect to be able to see it visibly in their drafting record.

Another thing all we here is everyone going on about how smart dubas is, in his position he knows there are a lot of people hoping he fails due to his analytical leanings (which he really doesn't seem that analytical anyway) so I highly doubt he would hire a guy, in this case Clark, purely because they are friends. If he is so smart he'd know that Clark was good or bad at his job. hunter not wanting a guy does not tell me that guy is a bad scout it tells me hunter just didn't like the person or preferred someone he knew better

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Careful with the "I know a guy" claims. Whatever inside info you may have needs to be vetted by an Admin before being posted. Contact one of your board's mods.

Reactions: Menzinger and Cor

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Scouts have contracts also, so you can't have anyone you want if they are under contract to another team, as that would be tamping and punishable by the NHL
Obviously you would need permission. It is true though I think Toronto is the #1 chosen destination for scouts.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Didn't Holland just re-sign with the Wings. I see no reason to think he's leaving.

Edit: 2 year extension as of April 7. I guess timelines could work.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well I will say this.... The greatest thing Hunter did and I will forever love him for it, is his battle with babcock over picking Marner. I am sooooooooo ****ing happy we drafted Marner in that draft.

There's like zero evidence that actually ever happened.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
agreed and as of right now Hunter has no results as head of scouting either. Dermott I guess is as close as he has come so far, I know its early but there are a lot of picks we/he made that don't look so good. We haven't offered contracts to at least 4 of his draft picks already. Id imagine a super scout would at least get most of his picks ELC's, its improbable for more than 2 or 3 from one draft to make the NHL.

The player that went immediately after Dermott was Aho for Carolina. Apparently their only untouchable on their roster.
3 picks later Brandon Carlo went to Boston. Wasn't like Dermott pick was a slam dunk or home run that is for sure.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The player that went immediately after Dermott was Aho for Carolina. Apparently their only untouchable on their roster.
3 picks later Brandon Carlo went to Boston. Wasn't like Dermott pick was a slam dunk or home run that is for sure.

sure but I think you will agree he is an NHL player. And likely a top4 D as soon as this season. That is a successful pick. None of Hunters picks have done anything exceptionally above their pick lactation to say "x is a steal of a pick" which youd expect at least 1 in 3 drafts worth of picks

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well I will say this.... The greatest thing Hunter did and I will forever love him for it, is his battle with babcock over picking Marner. I am sooooooooo ****ing happy we drafted Marner in that draft.
100% .
Credit to Shanahan as well for believing in Hunter and allowing him to make the pick when it would have been really easy for him to side with his long tenured coach.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

With Florida, he was just their OHL scout since July 2016. Meaning his only draft so far was last draft, and the only OHL pick they made there was Owen Tippett at 10th Overall.

Wes Clark wasn't involved with scouting in the Soo, he was their Director of Player Development from 2011 to 2014. Was a Player Development Consultant with the Leafs from 2014-2016, and then began Amateur Scouting with the Panthers from 2016-Present.

If he comes back to the Leafs, it will almost certainly be in a Player Development Role and not Scouting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad