Sportsnet: Leafs Search To Replace Mark Hunter And Possibly Lamoriello

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Yes, let's talk about actual news.

It makes sense. I've always figured that if Hunter goes anywhere, Detroit made the most sense. That's a tough job though. Holland has that team with a lot of long bad contracts, and DET's drafting hasn't been that good.

At first thought I think Det does make sense. Close to home. Allows him to continue doing what he has done for 20 yrs. Take care of Ontario scouting, be close to Knights franchise, farm, family.....

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
With Florida, he was just their OHL scout since July 2016. Meaning his only draft so far was last draft, and the only OHL pick they made there was Owen Tippett at 10th Overall.

Wes Clark wasn't involved with scouting in the Soo, he was their Director of Player Development from 2011 to 2014. Was a Player Development Consultant with the Leafs from 2014-2016, and then began Amateur Scouting with the Panthers from 2016-Present.

If he comes back to the Leafs, it will almost certainly be in a Player Development Role and not Scouting.
It will be on the scouting side.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lamoriello fires Garth Snow & Doug Weight. Sounds like Lamoriello is taking over the GM duties himself though

Reactions: Menzinger

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Lou Lam should not have been allowed to join the Islanders until after July 1st IMHO.

He takes a lot of Leafs info. with him, including any strategies on how to sign Tavares!

Shanahan made a huge mistake with this one IMHO.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Change was just a matter of time, though both Weight and Snow are remaining with the organization. Still have a feeling Hunter ends up with NYI.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Lou Lam should not have been allowed to join the Islanders until after July 1st IMHO.

He takes a lot of Leafs info. with him, including any strategies on how to sign Tavares!

Doubt he would have had a choice anyway, GM is probably still seem as a promotion from advisor no matter how many teams "promote" guys to advisor when they want to send a guy off to pasture.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Eh, Lou might have lost the Isles job if he waited. You have to give a guy like Lou the chance.
I have no doubt this does nothing to make JT forget about exploring being a UFA.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Doubt he would have had a choice anyway, GM is probably still seem as a promotion from advisor no matter how many teams "promote" guys to advisor when they want to send a guy off to pasture.
An advisors role is pretty easy gig. You collect a paycheck to chip in a few comments here and there with absolutely no responsibilities.

Lou's ego got in the way of him retiring on easy street with our Leafs! Shanahan should have prevented Lou from joining another organization, in any capacity, until after the draft and free agency!

If Lou intends to bring in Hunter as G.M., at a later date, you can be rest assured that the trading of our draft info. is already being shared with Lou!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Lou intends to bring in Hunter as G.M., at a later date, you can be rest assured that the trading of our draft info. is already being shared with Lou!
If anything I think Lou will make sure his son is the next Islanders GM when he's ready to step down. Plus since it was reported that Hunter wants to become a GM and it's a major reason he left the Leafs, why would he accept anything less than that?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If anything I think Lou will make sure his son is the next Islanders GM when he's ready to step down. Plus since it was reported that Hunter wants to become a GM and it's a major reason he left the Leafs, why would he accept anything less than that?
I said 'If Lou intends to bring in Hunter as G.M.' didn't I? LOL

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I said 'If Lou intends to bring in Hunter as G.M.' didn't I? LOL
If that was true why wouldn't Lou just wait until he could have hired Hunter as their GM and not give himself the job.

If anyone will be GM after Lou I think it will be his son who is already the Islanders Assistant GM.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If that was true why wouldn't Lou just wait until he could have hired Hunter as their GM and not give himself the job.

If anyone will be GM after Lou I think it will be his son who is already the Islanders Assistant GM.
Why would he not just promote his son now, and just remain as President of Hockey Operations?

We shall see what happens next month when Hunter is eligible to be hired by any team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If someone isn't in control of Hockey Ops, you can't block them from taking a job where they are in control of Hockey-Ops until after the draft. One, its disrespectful to your staff, especially someone the stature of Lamariello. Two, its a common industry practice.

We flat out told Lou he wasn't wanted here anymore in any meaningful role. In effect, he was demoted. Teams commonly hire new GM's before the draft, it is basically the industry standard. Did we hear anything about Botterill taking Pitts strategy with him when he joined Buffalo last year? Are Nashville fans bitching about losing Paul Fenton to Minnesota?

The common hiring cycle of the NHL has GMs hired between May and the draft, Lou being hired by us in July was actually a rarity. It is the lower level positions that tend to be filled in July, after scouts contracts expire and the draft has happened.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why would he not just promote his son now, and just remain as President of Hockey Operations?

We shall see what happens next month when Hunter is eligible to be hired by any team.
I know others have said this but I think it needs to be said again. Hunter's name did not come up as a candidate for the GM jobs in Minnesota and Carolina. So despite Hunter leaving the Leafs because Dubas got the GM job instead of him, why did Hunter not got talked about for the teams I mentioned?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I know others have said this but I think it needs to be said again. Hunter's name did not come up as a candidate for the GM jobs in Minnesota and Carolina. So despite Hunter leaving the Leafs because Dubas got the GM job instead of him, why did Hunter not got talked about for the teams I mentioned?
Good question. However, Hunter can't go anywhere until next month at the earliest, as I understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad