Post-Game Talk: Leafs score 2 goals (Who cares about what sens scored)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It was one shot and he was off balance, whatever man it happens. I’ve seen Weber fan on shots too

Fact is he didn’t have to shoot, he moved the puck quickly and effectively and set up two goals.

edit: must be fun watching the game from your POV :shakehead

Don't worry, it's okay if someone has a different POV. Nothing to get all head shakey about.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
What do you expect from a #5 D at best?
:shakehead:

So true.

He put up a couple assists in the PP, which is great, but I believe he was on the ice for two PP goals against and two ES goals as well. Second worst among D in the plus minus category. Goals were all plays in which should have made a smarter play to reduce the quality of chance on net.

I hope he picks up his game soon as many others on here have claimed he would.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
How married to Carrick is Babcock? He looked really bad out there last night, like a second behind everything that was happening around him.

I would say that Babs is not married to Carrick at all based on the minimal ice time he played in the playoffs and his lack of PP or PK time last year. Carrick also didn't play any PP or PK last night, while Rosen played PP time and Dermott played PK time - and a lot of it.

My guess as of now is the general lineup will be:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Rosen
Marincin (or maybe Polly)

With Gardiner and Rosen playing the PP and Rielly, Hainsey, Zaitsev and Dermott playing the PK.

Marincin or Polly as a 7th because they can both play significant PK minutes.

I know some people are really big on Carrick just isn't that useful for this lineup.

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
Don't worry, it's okay if someone has a different POV. Nothing to get all head shakey about.

Your name is literally the cynic, have a great life dude :laugh:

cynic. /ˈsɪnɪk/ a person who believes the worst about people or the outcome of events. adjective.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
So true.

He put up a couple assists in the PP, which is great, but I believe he was on the ice for two PP goals against and two ES goals as well. Second worst among D in the plus minus category. Goals were all plays in which should have made a smarter play to reduce the quality of chance on net.

I hope he picks up his game soon as many others on here have claimed he would.

Sadly he still had really good zone exits and controlled entries.
That 1st period the pk was horrendous. Nobody knew where to be. But I think you're right, it was all on Rielly.
And 5v5 in the 1st, again Rielly was solely to blame. I think I saw him tripping his own players a few times

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That 1st period the pk was horrendous. Nobody knew where to be. But I think you're right, it was all on Rielly.
And 5v5 in the 1st, again Rielly was solely to blame. I think I saw him tripping his own players a few times

I also saw Rielly shout out to the players to be terrible in own end, and for a few players to have a horrible game. I think I also saw Rielly tell Moore to take a faceoff violation penalty. Silly Morgan. He is the cause for global warming as well.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I also saw Rielly shout out to the players to be terrible in own end, and for a few players to have a horrible game. I think I also saw Rielly tell Moore to take a faceoff violation penalty. Silly Morgan. He is the cause for global warming as well.
I remember that too!!
And there was the time he called from the bench and told Carrick to slow down when he w going for the puck

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I enjoy when I get criticized for saying he's not effective in a top 4 role. Then when he proves me to be correct through his play, the counter is well at least he's not the absolute worst player on the ice. Doesn't sound like a counter for a guy who should be solidly in our top two or top four. Sounds like the counter for criticism on a bottom pair D.

Hopefully the points keep coming, at least he will hold some value then.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

This doesn't add anything to the conversation. Mods will be having a talk with you I'm sure.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I enjoy when I get criticized for saying he's not effective in a top 4 role. Then when he proves me to be correct through his play, the counter is well at least he's not the absolute worst player on the ice. Doesn't sound like a counter for a guy who should be solidly in our top two or top four. Sounds like the counter for criticism on a bottom pair D.

Hopefully the points keep coming, at least he will hold some value then.
1st I did counter with sarcasm when I pointed out his zone entries and exits were very good.

When you isolate a mistake to make a point that a player is rated unfairly I believe that is the epitome of cherry picking. Also to blame one player for a bad 1st period of the first preseason game is not exactly fair or speaks to a bias.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This doesn't add anything to the conversation. Mods will be having a talk with you I'm sure.

:laugh::laugh:

If they have a talk with you, I hope it's to tell you to cheer up. And also to take yourself much, much, much, much, much, much, much less seriously than you do. ;)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
1st I did counter with sarcasm when I pointed out his zone entries and exits were very good.

When you isolate a mistake to make a point that a player is rated unfairly I believe that is the epitome of cherry picking. Also to blame one player for a bad 1st period of the first preseason game is not exactly fair or speaks to a bias.

Of course not. The thing is all of my general criticisms of Rielly are based on his career, not one game or one season. As I'm sure you are aware, I am a very popular contributor on here, and as such my opinions are criticized more than the average person's. My position on Rielly is well documented and easily backed with past evidence. The people on the other side of this topic were really surefire that Rielly would have a season where he FINALLY turned a corner. He still might, and despite how it may come across, I hope he does. I hope he finally justifies his salary. However in terms of evaluating this season, all we have in one preseason game, in which he was horrific defensively. So it's fair game to criticize him. Does that guarantee he will have a terrible season? Nope. Does it give any hope for a good season to come? Also nope, but that could easily change.

Talking to some of you guys it's like trying to have a conversation with a parent about their kid's play on the ice. It's rare to find a parent who can have a critical eye when it comes to their children. Many homer hockey fans are like that as well. And then when they run into a person who is critical about their own players is comes off shocking.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

If they have a talk with you, I hope it's to tell you to cheer up. And also to take yourself much, much, much, much, much, much, much less seriously than you do. ;)

I have a great life, I'm almost always happy.

My opinion is serious business. HF knows that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Of course not. The thing is all of my general criticisms of Rielly are based on his career, not one game or one season. As I'm sure you are aware, I am a very popular contributor on here, and as such my opinions are criticized more than the average person's. My position on Rielly is well documented and easily backed with past evidence. The people on the other side of this topic were really surefire that Rielly would have a season where he FINALLY turned a corner. He still might, and despite how it may come across, I hope he does. I hope he finally justifies his salary. However in terms of evaluating this season, all we have in one preseason game, in which he was horrific defensively. So it's fair game to criticize him. Does that guarantee he will have a terrible season? Nope. Does it give any hope for a good season to come? Also nope, but that could easily change.

Talking to some of you guys it's like trying to have a conversation with a parent about their kid's play on the ice. It's rare to find a parent who can have a critical eye when it comes to their children. Many homer hockey fans are like that as well. And then when they run into a person who is critical about their own players is comes off shocking.

You'd better think again there chief, you're not making any sense at all now. :biglaugh:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Honestly I don't think there is a lack of Rielly critics or people being critical of him. It's your stance that he is a #5 defenseman that has most people, even his critics, that think you're off base here.
The only proof I've seen you 'offer is some metrics that you can't share because of propriety.
If you said Rielly will not be more than a top 4 you would have more traction and less argument in your point.

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
OMG did you guys see Subban fan on that shot? LOL

Seriously, first preseason game...

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

If anything mods should be having a talk to him about keeping JVR at all costs;)

When he makes passive aggressiveness posts, than you know he is wrong about all the criticism of Rielly so he gets riled up, and than he replies with "living up to salary" just to always sound smart.
Rielly is a #2 as evidenced by his play and coaches comments.
Whenever Rielly makes a bad play, its all "see he is a 3rd pairing d man, and you guys dont know anything" Oh well maybe its to get some attention.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Honestly I don't think there is a lack of Rielly critics or people being critical of him. It's your stance that he is a #5 defenseman that has most people, even his critics, that think you're off base here.
The only proof I've seen you 'offer is some metrics that you can't share because of propriety.
If you said Rielly will not be more than a top 4 you would have more traction and less argument in your point.

Thanks for reminding me, I'd forgotten about those top secret metrics. It's been a long day, the laugh is much appreciated. :laugh::laugh:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I would say that Babs is not married to Carrick at all based on the minimal ice time he played in the playoffs and his lack of PP or PK time last year. Carrick also didn't play any PP or PK last night, while Rosen played PP time and Dermott played PK time - and a lot of it.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Rosen

With Gardiner and Rosen playing the PP and Rielly, Hainsey, Zaitsev and Dermott playing the PK.

I know some people are really big on Carrick just isn't that useful for this lineup.

Pretty sure Carrick got some PP time at points yesterday. I don't think there's any chance the Leafs enter the year with 1 RHD on the roster. And Carrick simply offers more than Polak, who we still haven't seen play since his injury. There are plenty of guys that can PK.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Rosen

Thank you for this.

I think Carrick has wonderful offensive instincts (I watched him a ton in Hershey), but his defense has always been "ok" to "really bad".

I did notice his lack of significant minutes in the playoffs but I assumed the Leafs would work with him this camp. Now however, I think they may have better options. Right-handed Dmen are like gold nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad