Post-Game Talk: Leafs score 2 goals (Who cares about what sens scored)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How married to Carrick is Babcock? He looked really bad out there last night, like a second behind everything that was happening around him.

Rust is pretty natural, and the game was really a trainwreck with the penalties so I wouldn't read into it. That said, I think Babcock is open to replacing him if necessary

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
What a **** poor game that was. Me thinks they'll be a bit better off the jump tonight.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Are you seriously fretting already? My God man, it was the first preseason game and now you're making proclamations the Leafs need to score 4 goals a game to win? Holy smokes Batman.

Lou Lam and Babcock both looked pissed after that performance and I can't say I blame them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Calm down, we iced about 50% of our roster whereas the Sens iced over 75% including their starting goalie.

Both teams iced 9 NHL regulars based on games played last season. But who cares its an exhibition game and Curtis Mac really struggled. The leafs are likely going to trounce the sens tonight and it won't really matter.
Love Dernott thought he looked good. Matthews and Nylander are both destined to be top 10 scorers this season the pp looks nasty already.

What are your guys thoughts on a Wideman/Hammond deal for your extra forward (leivo/leipsic) allowing the leafs to keep Kapanen up. Both teams trading from a strength for a weakness.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Both teams iced 9 NHL regulars based on games played last season. But who cares its an exhibition game and Curtis Mac really struggled. The leafs are likely going to trounce the sens tonight and it won't really matter.
Love Dernott thought he looked good. Matthews and Nylander are both destined to be top 10 scorers this season the pp looks nasty already.

What are your guys thoughts on a Wideman/Hammond deal for your extra forward (leivo/leipsic) allowing the leafs to keep Kapanen up. Both teams trading from a strength for a weakness.

Leipsic was taken by Vegas.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

It's Leivo, leipsic is on Vegas. I actually like that deal but I know it would lead to Leivo lighting us up constantly so probably wouldn't do it

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I love the thread title "Leafs score 2 goals (Who cares about what sens scored)"

This seems to be a consistent belief of many Leaf fans that only the goals the Leafs score matter most, and the ones that go in their own net a secondary concern.

I'm on the opposite side of that debate and look at the 6 goals against and see a problem with team defense. Its only a exhibition game so its not the end of the World, but still I didn't see anything that would not give me concern, or believe that the defense core will be better or improved. The Rielly -- Hainsey pairing who are expected to check many top lines looked lost defensively last night.

Sweet Jebus; it was just humour not trying to say that defense is not required. I specifically stated in the first post that Rielly and Hainsey pairing requires a lot of work.

Defense matters, anybody says it doesnt is out to lunch.

Have you not see my posts on JVR and Bozak and their defensive prowess?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Perhaps we have to wait and see how the Swedes adjust to the ice surface before knowing.

Rosen seemed to be adjusting as the game wore on, starting to level the playing field.

No I think we should just make decisions based on one shift as you are suggesting.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Rule changes are thoroughly communicated with teams and players. Whether or not they appreciated how that would play out in reality is another story.

Babcock specically mentioned in the post match presser that the rules regarding:

- Face-off violations and;
- Slashing

were communicated to the team well in advance by the refs

that said the face-off violation penalty on Brownie was as much a penalty on Leafs as it was on Smith for the sens.

If refs are calling them then they should call on both teams

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Heard a radio interview with Babcock before game time last night, and he was asked "what does Calle Rosen have to do to impress you?", the response was an emphatic "just keep doing what he's doing" then some praise for his tools. Seems like he could be a Babcock favourite son

Management has been really close-lipped about what they're doing with the pending UFA forwards (JVR/Bozak/Komarov) so it's hard to say if we'll need Leivo and Kapanen around. If the plan is to move on from those UFA's or a couple of them I'd rather keep the young forwards

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
A tad early to make roster decisions based on one game.

Poor Josh - plays well, doesn't get in the line-up. Just gets to 'good pro' comments.
Doesn't have a good game, Babs calls him out.

You would think a guy like him who is on the bubble and is in his seventh camp would play with a sense of urgency. You would expect guys like that to have the game of their lives. It wasn't just him either. Brown, Sosh, and Kap were all less than impressive. I guess they don't mind if they ride the bus this season.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
How married to Carrick is Babcock? He looked really bad out there last night, like a second behind everything that was happening around him.

Second worst D on the team last night. The guy who played the worst has a spot locked up. If I were Carrick I would make sure I had a tidy game next time I'm in the lineup.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
only watched last two periods, matthews was dominant, nylander was just one notch below him. rosen impressed. didnt notice dermott too much but the few times i did it was something good. leivo was hit and miss. i also didnt notice rielly too much either except for that quick pass he made to nylander. it was on and off his stick and right in the wheelhouse for willy

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
I think one thing we can take away from this is that Rielly’s point totals last year were definitely affected by lack of PP time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I guess it depends on babs preference on having RHD play right rightside like Babs opinions on having a winger who can PK (so Leivo cant play)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Babcock specically mentioned in the post match presser that the rules regarding:

- Face-off violations and;
- Slashing

were communicated to the team well in advance by the refs

that said the face-off violation penalty on Brownie was as much a penalty on Leafs as it was on Smith for the sens.

If refs are calling them then they should call on both teams

There's no ref bias against the Leafs. Refs called what they saw equally for both teams. Don't get upset because the Leafs players did a poorer job of adapting to the adaptation of the rule.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think one thing we can take away from this is that Rielly’s point totals last year were definitely affected by lack of PP time.

It's hard to imagine watching him at the point last night why any coach would take him off the PP. He barely fanned on any shots.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

As expected, Cynick has jumped all over you. Looks like Rielly has good offensive skills after all:) Better than Slavins.
Can we get rid of JVR now? Kapanen can fill his role

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There's no ref bias against the Leafs. Refs called what they saw equally for both teams. Don't get upset because the Leafs players did a poorer job of adapting to the adaptation of the rule.

I wouldn't say there's a bias against the Leafs, but I think veterans do generally get the benefit of the doubt in close situations and rookies do not, and I think that was noticeably against us last year. I don't think there was any intent to screw the Leafs over though

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
It's hard to imagine watching him at the point last night why any coach would take him off the PP. He barely fanned on any shots.

It was one shot and he was off balance, whatever man it happens. I’ve seen Weber fan on shots too

Fact is he didn’t have to shoot, he moved the puck quickly and effectively and set up two goals.

edit: must be fun watching the game from your POV :shakehead

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It was one shot and he was off balance, whatever man it happens. I’ve seen Weber fan on shots too

Fact is he didn’t have to shoot, he moved the puck quickly and effectively and set up two goals.

edit: must be fun watching the game from your POV :shakehead

Only so many you can use on the PP.

Rielly could play the powerplay, and he could improve his awareness 5v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad