Speculation: Leafs rushed the rebuild

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There was nothing wrong with our rebuild. The only thing we've missed is that late round homerun that most good teams seem to find.

I'm not even sure how we would continue our rebuild? Not play Matthews, Marner, and Nylander in their rookie season? Not acquiring a starting goaltender in decent age when one was actually available? All so we can acquire that one last piece through high draft picks, instead of using one of the many other avenues available.

Its certainly a strange idea, I mean you could even make the case they kept Marner and Nylander away from the team longer than they needed too, so this notion of te team rushing things doesnt stand up to much scrutiny

You raise an interesting point about late round impact players. Not an ssue yet but unfortunately the Leafs drafting as late doesnt look like it'll produce any stars beyond those top 10 picks. Though Sandin and Liljgren may challenge that

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You raise an interesting point about late round impact players. Not an ssue yet but unfortunately the Leafs drafting as late doesnt look like it'll produce any stars beyond those top 10 picks. Though Sandin and Liljgren may challenge that

Well, if any of our later-round picks surprisingly turn into stars, we won't really know it until they do. That's kinda how that works.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
With emphasis on slow-cooking prospects, it’s hard to say, but, from:
2014-Engvall’s trajectory is still good
2015-Bracco, you mentioned, Dermott’s a strong pick, Lindgren is tracking well
2016- Woll and Brooks are tracking well, Korshkov is here.
2017- Scott is tracking well, toolsy/big D...maybe
2018- early returns are pretty good on 5 guys outside of the first round, and another impressed enough to earn an ELC.
Add in Durzi and Grundstrom moved.
14 and 17....not as strong as 15,16, and 18.

Reactions: Dayjobdave

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Again I don’t think we rushed it, but we didn’t address key issues. Lou didn’t get us a RHD and neither did Dubas. I think we needed a RHD. Either they needed to trade for one or Liljegren should have been brought up for the playoffs.

Secondly coaching this year has been awful. Babcock made no adjustments. If we are going to win he has to make adjustments on the fly and not fall in love with matchup stuff. Just try and win at all costs

Reactions: SAMCRO44

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Additionally we have tough decisions to make. We need to let Hainsey and Marleau go. Trade Johnsson for a picks or a quality damn. And call up Liljegren and Bracco (both are ready). We need those young ELC players.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Took the Capitals 14 years to win their cup, but the Leafs didn't do it in 3 so they did it all wrong.

It's kinda hilarious actually, people trying to say we weren't patient enough, all because we haven't won a cup right away.
Perfectly wrapped up in this statement.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There was nothing wrong with our rebuild. The only thing we've missed is that late round homerun that most good teams seem to find.

I'm not even sure how we would continue our rebuild? Not play Matthews, Marner, and Nylander in their rookie season? Not acquiring a starting goaltender in decent age when one was actually available? All so we can acquire that one last piece through high draft picks, instead of using one of the many other avenues available.

Some would argue that adding Tavares didn't address our problems at D, and will ultimately trigger cap problems.

IDK - real hard to say or conclude anything, but that is something that could be said that at least warrants some thought. Regardless, might not have any impact many years from now.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Seems to be lots of good young talent on the Marlies.

The big club is young, and is a contender.

I’ve been watching the Leafs since the 60 s. This is the first rebuild they didn’t rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad