Speculation: Leafs rushed the rebuild

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Bottom line.
We will not win the cup without a good D system.
This is what we are missing.
The forwards can fly all game long IF they know they have a D that will shut down the blue line...they rely on the Goalie and that isn't the way it's done.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Bottom line.
The forwards can fly all game long IF they know they have a D that will shut down the blue line...they rely on the Goalie and that isn't the way it's done.
Forwards are terrible defensively too. In fact more so than this D.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
For the future to be truly bright, some cap maneuvering is needed. Can not win when you have 40 mil of the cap tied up in 4 forwards. Too top heavy there.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Bottom line.

The last 3 cup winners were all built on great scoring and goaltending with a shoddy D system. Its been the winning formula.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They weren’t ready to add a huge UFA like Tavares. The timing they had to make a choice and I get it. I said at the time how much I hated the decision.

Here it is now proving to us all why it was the wrong one. Yes he’s a hell of player but he destroyed the cap structure on the team. Leafs should of re signed their core before going after Tavares.

That should of been priority number one not getting another high priced forward. It arguably took away 3 years of us being competitive. Can’t even imagine what the Marner contract will look like either. Fact is also Tavares was a luxury not a need at all.

Doubt Matthews contract looked like this if not for Tavares.

Reported asks for Marner 9X8 and Matthews 12.34*8 in the summer (although Matthews there was a lot of different insider opinions on what the number in the summer was but either way it was 8 years.)

Leafs are right on track, get a "grip", and don't expect them to win 5 straight cups either ...

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
They weren’t ready to add a huge UFA like Tavares. The timing they had to make a choice and I get it. I said at the time how much I hated the decision.

Here it is now proving to us all why it was the wrong one. Yes he’s a hell of player but he destroyed the cap structure on the team. Leafs should of re signed their core before going after Tavares.

That should of been priority number one not getting another high priced forward. It arguably took away 3 years of us being competitive. Can’t even imagine what the Marner contract will look like either. Fact is also Tavares was a luxury not a need at all.

Doubt Matthews contract looked like this if not for Tavares.

Reported asks for Marner 9X8 and Matthews 12.34*8 in the summer (although Matthews there was a lot of different insider opinions on what the number in the summer was but either way it was 8 years.)
As any trade will net assets and we could win said trade. As well we have Tavares. This statement completely fails Im sorry I think you are premature on this judgement.

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
Look at the Islanders defensively this year compared to last year. The biggest problem with the Leaf's defensive system isn't the personnel, it's the coaching staff.

I get the point you're trying to make. But lets say the Islanders go out in the 2nd round instead of the first like the leafs did. Does it all really matter? Would you be happy with Babs and the coaching staff if we had a 2nd round exit instead of the first?
Would you also be happy with the product on the ice and our offensive players playing a more sound defensive game and say dropping 25% of their offensive production from previous years?
Does Freddy freeze the puck instead of playing it leading to the first goal in game 7 if we had Trotz?
Does Jake not do the same mistakes we've seen him do since day one even before Babs leading to another goal if we had Trotz?
Do 4 players who look like they are writing on the ice with crayons with the way they were swinging their sticks not happen if we had Trotz?

A part of me agrees with you and what you said. But let's not act like the personnel didn't make their share of the mistakes. I'm pretty sure Babs or any other coach in the world never drawn up any play that led to those mistakes.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I disagree, sorry.

Do you think Pittsburghs defense was good? Or do you just mean the system they use needs to be good. The one year their best dman was Hainsey...

It is all about a proper defensive system where the forwards and dmen work well to cover for one another. Then elite goalie and elitr forwards.

In a good defensive system, elite foreards will still find a way to score.

Reactions: Menzinger

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Bottom line.
Looking at this years crop of 'Cup contenders' ...there doesn't appear to be a hard cast formula for assembling a winning team.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
We're fine. If theres one thing I'm never going to criticize the team for us acquiring elite talent while giving up no assets except cap space. It's frustrating to not have success with a good team and players making big money, but it will come. We pushed a great team to the limit and in my opinion lost due to tactical error (coaching) and the Kadri suspension didn't help us.

We're in a good spot, people need to realize it's better to have problems like how are we going to pay Marner than not have a player like Marner to pay.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We're fine. If theres one thing I'm never going to criticize the team for us acquiring elite talent while giving up no assets except cap space. It's frustrating to not have success with a good team and players making big money, but it will come. We pushed a great team to the limit and in my opinion lost due to tactical error (coaching) and the Kadri suspension didn't help us.

We're in a good spot, people need to realize it's better to have problems like how are we going to pay Marner than not have a player like Marner to pay.
That's what keeps me happy.

Our problems on this team are very fixable. We're abundant in a lot of areas that are hard to address.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Bottom line.

we're missing players like Tucker Roberts Komarov Polak.. guys who get up in the other teams' faces and stand up to physical opposition... we don't have a single, solitary player like this. All we have is a roster full of mega-talented players who are small, soft and scared. It's why we can't win.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Leafs did not rush the rebuild. We're a very good team a season or two away from becoming a great team. We've still got a healthy group of prospects who should make a positive impact soon enough.

If anything, our rebuild got accelerated due to the quality of players we were able to draft and develop in a short period of time.
True.
Well said.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There was nothing wrong with our rebuild. The only thing we've missed is that late round homerun that most good teams seem to find.

I'm not even sure how we would continue our rebuild? Not play Matthews, Marner, and Nylander in their rookie season? Not acquiring a starting goaltender in decent age when one was actually available? All so we can acquire that one last piece through high draft picks, instead of using one of the many other avenues available.

Reactions: Menzinger

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's ok if we rushed. It's ok if we overpaid players. In Toronto what's another 50 years for a cup. We just love paying for the team with the unique name. Go Leafs Go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad