Rumor: Leafs RFA defensemen to file for arbitration

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
Apparently Franson wants a Voynov/Shattenkirk type deal ~4 / year. He deserves it but apparently the leafs are exploring a trade.

https://twitter.com/fan960walker/status/353169027952164865

Defense are like goaltenders imo....not smart to overpay and give out big deals. Forwards you seem to be able to get away with it more.

In my opinion if Franson signs at 4 mill, Leaf nations expectations go up and if he doesn't produce asap then he'll be the whipping boy...

I personally don't get why alot of Leaf players want big contracts so quickly... they usually end up playing terribly under the microscope. I see the same in Franson.

Grabo $%$%ed and moaned about being bought out, if he had been more realistic with his contract demands he'd still be around but him and his agent worked Burkie because of the alternatives, thats fine, do what you gotta do, but don't cry about it when your gone.

If you truly want to be a Maple leaf then listen to management and be logical, otherwise get the $%$% out of town.

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
Holzer > Fraser is laughable. Holzer looked terrible with the Leafs.

He was paired with Dion, playing alot of important minutes.

I'd give Holzer another shot especially since he was up, saw what he needed to improve and then went back down to Eakins.... who for sure helped him recover and get back to what he does efficiently

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Maybe when Holzer is paired up with Dion against the best players on the other team. But for a sheltered bottom pairing role, pretty sure Holzer > Fraser.

This.

Holzer:
Can Contribute Offensively
Faster than Fraser
Better shot that Fraser
Higher IQ than Fraser
Bigger than Fraser

Fraser:
Can fight (maybe that's gone too because of the hole in his head).

Holzer > Fraser

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
This.

Holzer:
Faster than Fraser
Better shot that Fraser
Higher IQ than Fraser
Bigger than Fraser

Fraser:

Holzer > Fraser

Bolded are debatable, or just wrong. I'd like to see Holzer given another shot....... in a bottom pairing role this time.

Penalty Kill Icing*

This.

Holzer:
Faster than Fraser
Better shot that Fraser
Higher IQ than Fraser
Bigger than Fraser

Fraser:

Holzer > Fraser

Holzer better, faster, higher IQ than Fraser? :laugh:

Holzer was nothing more than Carlyle's man-crush. 3 points in 22 games is not contributing offensively. Usually, I don't use +/- stats, but I am going to use here; because Holzer not only ruined his stats, but also of those who were on ice along with him.

While Fraser got +/- advantage because of being on ice with Kadri a lot of times, he did make sure not to ruin it.

There is no guarantee that Holzer would work at bottom pairing defenseman. Fraser actually worked just about fine for a decent time for a 3rd pair guy.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
After compiling a list of comparables based solely on point production, I've got Gunnarsson at $3.125M and Franson at $3.75M.

Gunnarsson (0.3 ppg) comparables (RFAs with 0.25-to-0.35 ppg over last 2 years): Spurgeon, Girardi, Fowler, Josi, Seidenberg, Gilbert, McBain, Niskanen, Erik Johnson, Hamonic, Quincey, Kindl, Schenn, Sbisa, Stralman.

Franson (0.49 ppg) comparables (RFAs with 0.44-to-0.54 ppg over last 2 years): Shattenkirk, Del Zotto, Goligoski, Jack Johnson, Bogosian.

Yes, I know points don't tell the entire story, but the more offensively-capable a defenceman, typically the higher salary. I was able to get Bozak's contract within $0.1M and Schenn's contract within $0.15M previously by using the same system.

Last edited:

Analyzer*

How is Fraser's skull fracture ? Any long-term affects ?

That was a pretty nasty injury.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
After compiling a list of comparables based solely on point production, I've got Gunnarsson at $3.125M and Franson at $3.75M.

Gunnarsson (0.3 ppg) comparables (RFAs with 0.25-to-0.35 ppg over last 2 years): Spurgeon, Girardi, Fowler, Josi, Seidenberg, Gilbert, McBain, Niskanen, Erik Johnson, Hamonic, Quincey, Kindl, Schenn, Sbisa, Stralman.

Franson (0.49 ppg) comparables (RFAs with 0.44-to-0.54 ppg over last 2 years): Shattenkirk, Del Zotto, Goligoski, Jack Johnson, Bogosian.

Yes, I know points don't tell the entire story, but the more offensively-capable a defenceman, typically the higher salary. I was able to get Bozak's contract within $0.1M and Schenn's contract within $0.15M previously by using the same system.

Gunnarsson is more valuable to the organization as he can be partnered with almost anyone and perform his job. That would be a good salary for him and feel Nonis should offer it over 3 yrs.

If Fransons is right I hope Nonis can trade him. The Leafs can't afford that especially if its awarded by arbitration and he walks next year. Might aswell try for assets.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010

I don't want to be a dink here but you may want to run those ppg numbers again.
NVM: didn't realize you were using 2 years....Carry on

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
This.

Holzer:
Can Contribute Offensively - Not really. 7 goals in 210 mostly AHL games
Faster than Fraser Maybe but no sign it yields better scoring or defense
Better shot that Fraser Doesn't result in any better scoring
Higher IQ than Fraser Possibly.
Bigger than Fraser But doesn't play bigger

Fraser: Can fight (maybe that's gone too because of the hole in his head).
147 NHL games and +20 vs 24 games and -13 for Holzer

Holzer > Fraser

I agree Holzer probably is somewhat more skilled but he had such a rough ride this season he would have to walk on water in camp to start next year with the big club. Somebody will get hurt, or Fraser or the new O'Byrne will hit a crappy streak of games, and he should get another shot then. He is the type of player the club needs but Fraser won a spot because of his toughness (check all the grit on Carlyle's Cup team) which Holzer doesn't bring. He will have to badly outplay Fraser to take his spot.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

There was an MMA fighter named Joubert who fractured his skull in a fight last July and I think he was supposed to be returning less than a year later until he had a motorcycle accident. But Blake Geoffrion had a depressed skull fracture in November and has been talking retirement. Depends on the guy as these both look sort of like the Fraser injuries.

I think based on the arbitration discussions and lack of other negative info that Fraser is going to be fine or the club wouldn't have qualified him. He didn't seem to have the complications of Geoffrion.

Tyler Biggs*

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl
Source saying Mark Fraser will file for Salary Arbitration with the Toronto Maple Leafs. #TSN

I wish the Leafs could find a way to keep this guy.

Guys who play like Fraser shouldn't be low balled. Pay him fair Dave!

If it wasn't for him, Colton Orr & others like him on the Leafs, the skill guys would get clobbered.

I think if Fraser and Bozak were healthy in game 7, we beat the Bruins.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I wish the Leafs could find a way to keep this guy.

Guys who play like Fraser shouldn't be low balled. Pay him fair Dave!

If it wasn't for him, Colton Orr & others like him on the Leafs, the skill guys would get clobbered.

I think if Fraser and Bozak were healthy in game 7, we beat the Bruins.

Fraser filed for arbitration 2 times with the devils. Both times the parties came to an agreement before it went to the arbitrator.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Haven't really read much about it but I don't think the Leafs would have qualified him if they had reason to believe that he couldn't play again or it was going to be a really tough injury to recover from. It's only for that reason I would say that he should be fine.

Tyler Biggs*

Fraser filed for arbitration 2 times with the devils. Both times the parties came to an agreement before it went to the arbitrator.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on a deal right now. The qualify offer and arbitration are probably just protection for both sides while they work out a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler Biggs*

What's fair in your books?

Certainly nothing over $1M.

I think getting a 1-way contract is important to him, so we should give him one.

I think anywhere from $800,000 - $1,200,000 you could argue is fair for him.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
We need to bring back Fraser. Huge part of the team this year, makes them tougher to play against. Clears the crease very well.

leafspring*

I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on a deal right now. The qualify offer and arbitration are probably just protection for both sides while they work out a deal.

If they didn't want them they wouldn't qualify them.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

I don't know why Aaron Ward has taken to reporting a 7th defesnseman taking routine steps in the RFA process.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
What's fair in your books?

Certainly nothing over $1M.
Nice use of that formula, I was thinking 2@ 885 thousand

2 years, $1.6M, one-way.

Is that number coming from your formula? I think alot of the dispute is he wants a 1 way

I don't know why Aaron Ward has taken to reporting a 7th defesnseman taking routine steps in the RFA process.

Got to start small. He's got to build up his credentials again, especially after the Iggy debacle. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad