Rumor: Leafs RFA defensemen to file for arbitration

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

Penalty Kill Icing*

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 19m
Expect 3 Leafs D-men to file for arbitration. Gunnarson,Franson,Fraser. Doesn't mean they won't keep talking,with deals still getting done.

So who comes back, who doesn't? But who can't see that coming when GM's priority is to address everything but defense (the very reason we got eliminated from playoffs!)?

samyy

Apr 14, 2009
:laugh::laugh:
They'll probably sign but jesus christ nonis focus on our D more holy crap

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 19m

So who comes back, who doesn't? But who can't see that coming when GM's priority is to address everything but defense (the very reason we got eliminated from playoffs!)?

..... we got eliminated from the playoffs due to the whole teams defensive lapse.... not specifically the dmen..... all the goals basically came from the point

Analyzer*

I thought Toronto signed Fraser to a 2 year contract along with McLaren.

Unless all I read was Frazer McLaren....

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
toronto has 11 million for kadri gunnarson fraser and franson
kadri at 3.5 for 2 years, gunnar and franson at 3 gives enough room to let morgan play, as well as another marlie for 3 wing

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Fraser + Kadri + 1st for Stastny.

JVR + Stastny + Kessel
Lupal + Bozak + Clarkson
Kulemin + Bolland + ????
McClement + Colborne + Orr

Phaneuf + Gunnar
Gardiner + Franson
Liles + ????

??? should be filled by Marlies. I really dont see a problem with this lineup. Address the D at trade deadline if possible.

Last edited:

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Really should have bought out the ugly contract of Liles and added to the pool of cap space.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Why, because he rejected the qualifying offer? Means nothing, he just didn't want a two-way contract.

We already have TJ & Holzer able to fill in his shoes(though differently). Unless he comes real cheap, otherwise don't see Nonis want to waste cap space on another bottom pairing

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Just get Gunnar done. 4 years 12 million or something in that range.

I've thought for a while now Franson wouldn't be back.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Fraser + Kadri + 1st for Stastny.
If we're trading Kadri with one of these defenceman I want Duchene coming back
Just get Gunnar done. 4 years 12 million or something in that range.

I've thought for a while now Franson wouldn't be back.
Franson should be the priority out of this group. All he's done is exceed expectations and force Carlyle to play him more.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If we're trading Kadri with one of these defenceman I want Duchene coming back

Franson should be the priority out of this group. All he's done is exceed expectations and force Carlyle to play him more.

He has played well, But I have a hard time seeing past the sub par skating.

If he's back, Fine. But I sort of expect him to be moved.

Last edited:

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Let Fraser go, sign Gunnar and Franson.

Fraser was a huge reason why Toronto made the playoffs last year. He's an excellent bottom pairing guy who could fit into the top four in a jam and plays rock solid defensively.

It would be a major mistake to let him go. It has been way too long since Toronto has had a player like Fraser.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Future

Dion Rielly Finn Gardiner Franson Percy Blacker Gunner

Out of this nice little collection who stays who goes?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
..... we got eliminated from the playoffs due to the whole teams defensive lapse.... not specifically the dmen..... all the goals basically came from the point

It's not just our D - our D as is could be considered good - but not good enough. The challenge is that we'll be upgrading over time, as part of the solution is to wait for some of our youngin's to develop.

Our team as a whole, however, is way better defensively today than it was last season. A big part of our problem was we didn't have the size and grit on the wings to maintain puck pressure in the offensive end. With the addition of Clarkson, he'll make a huge difference in that regard - along with help from guys that will get looks such as Colborne, Ashton, D'Amigo, etc.

Another issue is the presence of a true checking line - with Bolland in the mix RC can now ice a true shut-down line - whether is Kulemin - Bolland - Colborne, or Kulemin - Bolland - McClement ... having a proper 3rd line will make a HUGE difference in the games, especially late when protecting a 1 or 2 goal lead.

Add to that the intense competition in net, and the further progression and development of guys like Gardiner & Franson ... while the offseason moves haven't been a flashy as some here would like (read: #1Centre) - we are a beg step forward in our defensive game today.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Fraser was a huge reason why Toronto made the playoffs last year. He's an excellent bottom pairing guy who could fit into the top four in a jam and plays rock solid defensively.

It would be a major mistake to let him go. It has been way too long since Toronto has had a player like Fraser.

He costs nothing and would resign for peanuts. He isn't the problem salary wise, or in the lineup. The Leafs will have four PMD storming the opposition's net:laugh:

Penalty Kill Icing*

You always want defense with experience to win the championship. Show me a team that won the cup with very little experience from defensemen.

Nonis' idea to win is to replace guy with little NHL experience with guys with no NHL experience. And this is bound to happen when he replaces at least one (or maybe 2) of Franson, Fraser and Gunnarsson.

I am not against playing the prospects, but prospects should be playing limited role; and the way Nonis is going forward, Neon Dion better be ready for yet another season playing 27 minutes a night, and be totally tanked out by the time it is time to push for the final stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad