Rumor: Leafs RFA defensemen to file for arbitration

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Wonder where they fit? My guess is Gunnarson gets $2.5-3. Franson $3.5-4. Fraser $1.0-1.5

i would be surprised to see gunnarson get less then $3 million, especially with arbitration. he has been a long serving, consistent leaf. i think $3 million x 4 years is reasonable.

franson at $4 million is scary. considering where he is in his development i would cringe to give him more then $3.5 x 4 years. i think anything significantly more and you need to consider trading him/ walking away from arbitration ruling.

there is NO WAY that fraser gets over $1 million. considering our cap situation and our defensive depth in the pipeline he really isnt in a position to play hardball. imo him and holzer for the 6th spot are completely interchangeable. if his beef is a one way contract then i can deal with that. i think a 2-3 year deal at $850,000 would cement him as our number 6 for a few years. there is no reason to overpay for a 6th defenseman.

Nonis also needs to shed the Liles contract. He's not playing very much anyways and has like a $3.5 cap hit.

i disagree that liles isnt playing well but i think nonis will have no choice and move him to free up the cap space. with liles gone it would give us ~$14 million to sign who we have to sign.

gunnarson= $3 million x 4 years
franson = $3.5 million x 4 years
fraser = $0.85 million x 3 years
kadri = $3 million x 2 years
colborne = $1 million x 2 years

if the players are signed at around this much it gives us a little bit of wiggle room. the only problem is we need to hope that brennan can play well on the bottom pairing or reilly or someone can take over for liles.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I'd trade all 3 of them ...none are anything more than glorified bottom 4 d-men

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Cracked skull. Update? The man probably will be wearing a full face shield next year. Doubt he will fight. Anybody ever have a cracked skull here?

i have ...and you are at higher risk of re-injury for the rest of your life.
honest truth though, people like to say once it's healed, it's better than before, and that is utter BS.

jbell886

Sep 6, 2009
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 23s

Carl Gunnarsson has filed for player-elected salary arbitration with #leafs. Sides continue to talk about longer-term extension.

Sep 18, 2009
honest truth though, people like to say once it's healed, it's better than before, and that is utter BS.

That is true for pretty much every physical injury, what doesn't kill you makes you weaker

K19*

If true, or at least true in Fraser's case... unfortunately, that changes things a bit. His willingness to fight was one of his more appealing qualities. If he loses that... meh...

leafstilldeath*

Any recent news on Fraser agreeing to a deal? someone on the other thread was saying Fraser accepted. Can anyone confirm?

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Gunnarsson is probably asking for 3.5-4 million and rightfully so.

Franson probably wants 4 million, wrongfully so.

Kadri probably, well seriously what is Kadri even doing? Sign a contract, shut up and quit pretending you just set the league on fire. He struggled and disappointed the Leafs brass for years. His 12-13 minutes of ice time in the playoffs doesn't support his case either.

Oct 19, 2007
I'd trade all 3 of them ...none are anything more than glorified bottom 4 d-men
My sentiments exactly..If Nonis can't trade them then allow them go through the arbitration and then let them go..Since this will allow another buyout period for the Leafs. If Nonis feels that he is being crunched by the cap then he can buyout Liles..Nonis will have work on his hands replacing four defensemen but that is why he is getting paid the big bucks..All three that filed for arbitration are no more than bottom four or bottom six defensemen and should be paid as such..jmo

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i'd probably give up on Fraser (YES i know what he brought in),
sign Gunnarson to what he wants.
I'm still undecided re: Franson. i really. really like him. but... (shrug).

i would bring up the new guys who are the most ready, and let them trial by fire it out, in my opinion.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Gunnarsson is probably asking for 3.5-4 million and rightfully so.Franson probably wants 4 million, wrongfully so.

Kadri probably, well seriously what is Kadri even doing? Sign a contract, shut up and quit pretending you just set the league on fire. He struggled and disappointed the Leafs brass for years. His 12-13 minutes of ice time in the playoffs doesn't support his case either.

Alzner just signed for $2.8. Hard to see Gunnar getting much more than that. If they think Fransons offense is at all for real, he will do a lot better than Gunnarsson, but they shouldn't need to go close to $4 million, even buying into his free agent years. I think the money is too tight for either of these D to get locked up long term, even if the club kind of wants to.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
i'd probably give up on Fraser (YES i know what he brought in),
sign Gunnarson to what he wants.
I'm still undecided re: Franson. i really. really like him. but... (shrug).

i would bring up the new guys who are the most ready, and let them trial by fire it out, in my opinion.

Why would you give up on Fraser?

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
You need to prioritize Kadri, Franson and Gunnarsson.

I think Gunnarsson has proven himself, he's played top pairing minutes, is very reliable, but his low point totals should help us get a reasonable rate. Considering a guy like Scuderi and Regehr are similar kind of defensemen (top 4 defensive guys), I think he should get about 3-3.5M per. The exact number would depend on the length. I would try to sign him for $12M over 4 years.

Franson is a difficult one. He will put up points, which makes him more $$. That said, last season was a shortened one, and we would need to see similar play over a full season to really know if he can do this consistently. I really like him as a player, but if MTL can sign Subban to two years at just under $3M, so should we. At most, I would give him $3.5M per. It is hard to argue he is more important than Gunnarsson. He provides more offense, but Gunnarsson plays much tougher minutes.

Kadri is also difficult to gauge. I would say he is in the same 3-3.5M range on a short term deal. He didnt show up towards the end of the season, so I have my doubts about his numbers over a full one.

Fraser shouldnt get anything in the 7 digit range. He's is a physical Dman, bottom pairing or #7 dman. I would give him 950K or look elsewhere. I do like him, and want to keep him, but he's clearly the lowest priority of the 4.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Not all injuries are the same. I don't think they would have bothered qualifying him if they were concerned that was the case, because he is not that valuable of a talent. Maybe they put a big plate in (seriously) because they will try things with pro athletes they would never give to you or I.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You need to prioritize Kadri, Franson and Gunnarsson.

I think Gunnarsson has proven himself, he's played top pairing minutes, is very reliable, but his low point totals should help us get a reasonable rate. Considering a guy like Scuderi and Regehr are similar kind of defensemen (top 4 defensive guys), I think he should get about 3-3.5M per. The exact number would depend on the length. I would try to sign him for $12M over 4 years.

Franson is a difficult one. He will put up points, which makes him more $$. That said, last season was a shortened one, and we would need to see similar play over a full season to really know if he can do this consistently. I really like him as a player, but if MTL can sign Subban to two years at just under $3M, so should we. At most, I would give him $3.5M per. It is hard to argue he is more important than Gunnarsson. He provides more offense, but Gunnarsson plays much tougher minutes. Kadri is also difficult to gauge. I would say he is in the same 3-3.5M range on a short term deal. He didnt show up towards the end of the season, so I have my doubts about his numbers over a full one.

Fraser shouldnt get anything in the 7 digit range. He's is a physical Dman, bottom pairing or #7 dman. I would give him 950K or look elsewhere. I do like him, and want to keep him, but he's clearly the lowest priority of the 4.

In the market, offensive D always bring more, because their contributions are easily quantifiable, and comparable. As he sits he is just an interesting and useful player, but if he improves at all you have a 6'5" D man who hits and scores 50 points. Signed to a reasonable contract and if he has a big year, the guy would have massive trade value. Plus isn't he their only natural RHD?

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Bah, since the Krüger signing, the Blackhawks offseason is pretty much done. Seems some other teams are pretty much done as well, and we have Kadri, Franson and Gunnarsson left, and Liles still on the roster... Get someone signed, Nonis!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad