• Start date

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Injuries can be a blessing.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson

Top 4 during the playoff after Kostka went down.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson on the PK
Phaneuf-Franson on the PP

Need someone to take Phaneuf's PK time and that should decrease his minutes and improve his full game play.

Analyzer*

Thanks for the replies on the subject of Fraser's injury. I know it's late, but I forgot which thread I posted in about it. Mover on the habs board found it.

If the Leafs do keep Fraser, then he could still be as effective. Alexei Emelin has mental plates in his face. (He got beat by Svitov) and it doesn't seem to hold him back now. Granted, he could never fight and that was how he got the plates in the first place, but he still went with Evander Kane, Marcus Foligno and Zdeno Chara.

Then again, Emelin just put his face down and started throwing. There's still that slight chance Fraser could be the same, but I would imagine psychologically he'll be hesitant to. I don't blame him.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Nope, Franson is sitting until signed. He has a pretty good sense of self worth to think the Leafs will sign him and not let him sit for any extended period of time. I also have a healthy self worth but even I know my limits. I would have taken arbitration knowing that NHL executives love working on a deadline with contracts and their hatred of the unknown with regards to arbitrators. Of course, you go to arbitration and get over 3.5 million and their is a chance you are unemployed halfway through the summer.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Injuries can be a blessing.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson

Top 4 during the playoff after Kostka went down.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson on the PK
Phaneuf-Franson on the PP

Need someone to take Phaneuf's PK time and that should decrease his minutes and improve his full game play.
Costco is a good stay-at-home defenseman but a liability offensively. He'd be a solid #2 D-Man when protecting a lead. Wouldn't be out of place doing PK-1 duty with Gunnarsson. He is a huge liability offensively though. He should be on the 3rd pairing whenever the Leafs are not protecting a lead. And he should not be on the PP unit at all.

Being well-rounded is more important for a defenseman than a forward though. A #6 has to be able to play at least 11-15 even-strength mins/g without being a liability. Kostka was utilized in a Top 2 role mainly. If he played more protected minutes, maybe he would have been fine in the NHL. Now that he's with the Blackhawks, Kostka will probably be sent down to the Minors (they're not gonna change up their Top 6) and then called up when their Top 6 gets injured. And then he'll get sent down to waivers and get claimed by an NHL team that could use him in a regular Top 6 + PK role. Because of his poor campaign as a Top 2 + PP, he's probably seen as damaged goods and may never get into the big leagues full-time ever again though. That's what happens when you throw rookies to the sharks.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Costco is a good stay-at-home defenseman but a liability offensively. He'd be a solid #2 D-Man when protecting a lead. Wouldn't be out of place doing PK-1 duty with Gunnarsson. He is a huge liability offensively though. He should be on the 3rd pairing whenever the Leafs are not protecting a lead. And he should not be on the PP unit at all.

LOL :laugh:

And here's me thinking good stay-at-home Dmen were NOT defensive liabilities. Silly me

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Being well-rounded is more important for a defenseman than a forward though. A #6 has to be able to play at least 11-15 even-strength mins/g without being a liability. Kostka was utilized in a Top 2 role mainly. If he played more protected minutes, maybe he would have been fine in the NHL. Now that he's with the Blackhawks, Kostka will probably be sent down to the Minors (they're not gonna change up their Top 6) and then called up when their Top 6 gets injured. And then he'll get sent down to waivers and get claimed by an NHL team that could use him in a regular Top 6 + PK role. Because of his poor campaign as a Top 2 + PP, he's probably seen as damaged goods and may never get into the big leagues full-time ever again though. That's what happens when you throw rookies to the sharks.

The only time that Kostka is a "good stay-at-home defenseman" is when he stays at home, and doesn't come to the rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad