Recalled/Assigned: Leafs recall Mason Marchment

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
I havent liked him very much.

Timashov and Brooks have been more impressive
Agreed. I want to root for the guy, but man it's hard. He's really an awful skater, he's not great on the puck (even for a fourth liner), and I just can't see what he brings. This is from someone who really loves Timashov's game, and has been fairly impressed with Brooks so far.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
He is alright. Pretty much same with Brooks and Petan. All three of them have not done anything to stand out and make you go, he is a keeper, like what Engvall did.
IMO he's been noticeably worse than Brooks and Petan. They haven't been been amazing, but they can put in a shift without being obviously behind the pace of the game. With Marchment, I find he stands out during the game just because he looks so unbelievably slow. I can't remember that last time I saw a call-up that stood out for the wrong reasons so consistently.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
IMO he's been noticeably worse than Brooks and Petan. They haven't been been amazing, but they can put in a shift without being obviously behind the pace of the game. With Marchment, I find he stands out during the game just because he looks so unbelievably slow. I can't remember that last time I saw a call-up that stood out for the wrong reasons so consistently.
In terms of forward call-ups/rookies this year:

Mikheyev
Engvall
Timashov
Brooks
Petan
Marchment

Mar 26, 2010
Not an NHL player! has to go.

Marincin, Timashov and Kerfoot all have to go, Just awful!

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not an nhl calibre. Good for the organization to give him some games

But in all honesty he'll never play in nhl again

Reactions: LFCTML

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Very meh

Has not brought much physicality either, doesn’t really do much otherwise.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He's just not an NHL player. He's almost 25 too, so it's not like there's some hidden upside. His ceiling is middle-six minor leaguer.
The same could have been said of Holl last year as well and they come from a similar development path. He's started the year with injuries as well. His call up was probably a bit premature. I think he could still improve.

Reactions: Cams and LeafSteel

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The same could have been said of Holl last year as well and they come from a similar development path. He's started the year with injuries as well. His call up was probably a bit premature. I think he could still improve.
Holl had goals in his first 2 NHL games. We all want to see more, only Babcock thinks he is not NHL ready.

Anyway, may be he will be a NHLer, but I highly doubt it will be with leafs. Leafs' style is speed, skill and hockey IQ now :popcorn:

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Had a nice soft hands pass to goat but besides that i haven’t noticed him at all. If he can’t skate that well he better be biting everything in sight and scrumming it up. Rather just throw tima back in who can add pressure to the forecheck and throws his body.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

But the NHL experiment should be over for this year.
Doen't bring much to his line at all.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Holl had goals in his first 2 NHL games. We all want to see more, only Babcock thinks he is not NHL ready.

Anyway, may be he will be a NHLer, but I highly doubt it will be with leafs. Leafs' style is speed, skill and hockey IQ now :popcorn:

2 in 2 games and +5...not a bad start.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I’m one of the biggest advocators on this board for more toughness and a Willing bottom 6 crasher/banger....but at the same time I’m a realist and Don’t wanna force a player on the leafs for the sakes of it.

Marchmant has had some good moments...but it’s clear he’s not the player. Speed is def an issue.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that we still need a player of that caliber. But someone who’s obviously a NHL caliber player.

A Josh Anderson/Foligno/Clifford type of player

Reactions: Cams and ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Has to keep working with a skating coach.

Doubt he's up to NHL speed in any aspect of his game yet, but he lost time this year to injury.

Send him back down to get more playing time and the Marlies could use anyone they're sending back down with Johnsson returning anyway.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This. I just haven't noticed him but for one body check.

He had a beauty pass against Edmonton if I am not mistaken.

I did expect him to be a lot more physical out there. Not sure he's an NHLer just yet, but you can see he has some potential.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I haven't been impressed by him either. He's alright, I guess, but I'm starting to get cranky that Timashov keeps getting pulled out of the lineup for him and Brooks. Marchment just hasn't been able to really do anything to get the puck on his stick. He can crash and bang, but he's not really effective with his forechecking and he's not in good places to receive passes or make plays. While I think Brooks is also a Marlie, at least he's able to figure out some puck retrievals and make a few good passes. Timashov is miles better than both IMO, he's physical, better at retrieving pucks, and has shown a lot more offensive talent.

He had a beauty pass against Edmonton if I am not mistaken.

I did expect him to be a lot more physical out there. Not sure he's an NHLer just yet, but you can see he has some potential.
I wouldn't really call it a beauty, he just threw it to an area and Goat won the race. It's a primary assist and a good play, but it's not on the same level as, say, Timashov slamming on the brakes in front of McDavid then hitting Goat on the tape for a mini-breakaway.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He's not as skilled as other options for the 4th line, but I think he could bring a different element. He's more of shift disturber once he becomes more comfortable. He's a 12th/13th guy, and not one to lose sleep over necessarily. I think he's shown a bit more skill in terms of offensive vision than I thought he would. Issue is getting into position to use that creativity more frequently. He's a good story no matter how it shakes out for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad