Recalled/Assigned: Leafs recall Mason Marchment

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He hasn't done much since being up. Can't skate at the NHL level. Doesn't have the skill to be a player.

I don't think he has a future with this team.
I don’t think he’s an nhler. Or ever will be.

He's definitely going to be given a good long look into the next season. One thing to remember is that he missed a lot of time to injury this season, so there's probably a long adjustment to catch up.

I will say that he hasn't been great or bad. Just average. And that's okay. He'll probably get better as he gets more comfortable. At worst, he's a viable and CHEAP bottom line player.

The one thing Marchment has to do is stay healthy. For someone that is physical and plays with intensity, he can't keep going on the IR like he has over the last couple seasons.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Marchment isn't ready for NHL action from what we have seen so far. His skating isn't good enough for him to get involved in the physical part of the game that he was brought here for. A much smaller Timashov has had more of a physical presence when he engages.

Reactions: LFCTML and Keon1963

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The kids got everything you need but he just can't skate at an NHL level

Hell it's questionable for the AHL level

The kid needs to go away and continue working on it, he's made huge strides in that regard but it needs to continue if he wants to be anything at the next level

Reactions: LFCTML

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is alright. Pretty much same with Brooks and Petan. All three of them have not done anything to stand out and make you go, he is a keeper, like what Engvall did.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The kids got everything you need but he just can't skate at an NHL level

Hell it's questionable for the AHL level

The kid needs to go away and continue working on it, he's made huge strides in that regard but it needs to continue if he wants to be anything at the next level

I disagree with that. I think his first 2-3 strides can get a bit better but he has decent top end speed. He is a big body who can do some dirty work. I think he fits in and is a nice change of style vs the rest of the team. Imo, he is not a liability on the 4th line and deserves a longer look. He is also not in game shape, he has played in 11 Marlies games, 2 Leaf games this year. Also I think the fact that it looks like he appears to fit in, makes Johnnson replaceable. Engvall replaces Johnsson and Marchment can fill 4th line duties.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I disagree with that. I think his first 2-3 strides can get a bit better but he has decent top end speed. He is a big body who can do some dirty work. I think he fits in and is a nice change of style vs the rest of the team. Imo, he is not a liability on the 4th line and deserves a longer look. He is also not in game shape, he has played in 11 Marlies games, 2 Leaf games this year. Also I think the fact that it looks like he appears to fit in, makes Johnnson replaceable. Engvall replaces Johnsson and Marchment can fill 4th line duties.

I think it's worse than that, it's stopping him from getting where he needs to be on the ice to be successful

It also was barely passable at the AHL level so whist the injuries have hurt his development that's not the reason he struggles to skate

I think he needs to go back down and continue to work on it because he's got potential to be more than a 4th line plug if he can sort out his skating

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I said when he was called up that he was being overrated by a group. He's really slow and not impactful.

He's got some tools, size with physicality and a decent set of hands
Put him with a couple of playmakers and I think there's some upside to his game

He just can't skate and until he can we're pushing **** up hill

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He can't keep up at the NHL level and isn't overly sturdy on his feet. At his age, it's unlikely to get better either.

Unfortunately he's not going to be an NHL player. His skating looks barely AHL level at best. Guy looks like Bambi out there. He's very overrated by people who want some 'toughness'. He isn't even tough lol.

Bring up Korshkov.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Was expecting him to take on Kassian (or someone else) last night when they were down. I guess he's unsure of his role.
Think his audition is pretty much over.
You want him dead? He fights like once maybe twice a year, he’s unlikely to fight in his 3rd career game

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Had moderate expectations, kind of a let down. I think Timashov fills that role better.

Reactions: smitty10

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think a few people are a bit spoiled by the recent call-ups (Engvall, Timashov, Moore) that have looked so good right away. Its the kids first NHL games and he was used sparingly on the 4th line. He isn't going to be a worldbeater, but I think its somewhat premature to write him off as having no NHL future after 3 games. It wasn't as if he looked bad in those games either, I think unremarkable is the better word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad