TSN: Leafs recall Joe Colborne

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He earned it :).

I'm glad he's up. Now lets see Grabovski to the wing and Colborne as #3C.

We clearly need an upgrade on the 3rd line, I would move Grabo to the wing or sit him for a few games, he has clearly underperformed this year, maybe this will spark his pride to be better.

Colborne will help us, he's NHL ready, great move by Nonis.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I believe the roster limit is now expanded so I think we will see a steady stream of Marlies having a game or two try out to see how they do. Good on Joe though, I wonder how Bozak will react to being in the press box.:sarcasm:

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
:yo:

Hopefully he gets a game. I wouldn't mind sitting Grabo out a game for him. Make McClemment and Bozak take the defensive zone draws, and slot in Joe C with Kessel.

It'd also send a message to Grabo.

He should get a game, he definitely deserves one.

I'd enjoy seeing a JvR-Colborne-Kessel line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Colborne, Frattin have great chemistry together, it would be natural to try him with Frattin and Mac.

Grabo, not sure where he fits? With Mcclement and Orr/Mclaren

Or in the pressbox as Liles found himself.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I think this call up is his chance, plain and simple. Carlyle will tell Nonis after this whether or not the Leafs need to resign Bozak. My guess is that they don't.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I heard McLaren wasn't at practice because he was sick. Komarov is close to returning. If they feel he's not quite ready, then Joe plays, if Komarov is back in, I suspect that Joe will be sitting in the press box as insurance.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So pumped!

The potential of Kadri and Joe in the top 6 is very exciting! Hopefully it can work out

Me too! I'm betting on the character of Joe Colborne that he will be a top 6 C, he wants to be better, has put in the time, has all the tools to do it.

There are naysayers as there were for Kadri, I have never been one of them. Joe's skillset is closer to a top 6C than a bottom 6 C.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
wow kind of excited. does he play? is he waiver eligible?

Excellent news. Just like Nonis said he wanted to give few Marlies a closer look and he delievers his promise. :handclap:

He only played 11 NHL games so he should be waiver exempt for a while.

Looks like it is an addition for big Joe. With Kadri’s improved game, Grabo’s decline (amnesty buyout possibility) and Bozak (probably high $$$ demands) I’m sure Nonis wants to see if big Joe is ready for NHL duty and my affect Bozak/Grabo future on the teams.

Also with still stupid 4 call-ups allowed till end of the season rule, it makes me think Nonis is serious about it. Otherwise why would he burn 1 out 4 call-ups…

Now where would be play big Joe? Can he play a wing? I think he would be perfect as 3C, but what do we with Grabo? Do we play him on LW and we sit Frattin?

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Mac-Grabo-Colborne
Komarov-McClement-Orr

McLaren
MAC
Frattin

I’m not if Komarov/Mac are even ready to play….

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Hope he makes the most of this. Looking forward to seeing him play.

I think it is a good idea to throw some some new bodies / hungry rookies into the mix for the stretch run. It will keep the team on its toes and stop them from thinking they have accomplished something yet

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Excellent news. Just like Nonis said he wanted to give few Marlies a closer look and he delievers his promise. :handclap:

He only played 11 NHL games so he should be waiver exempt for a while.

Looks like it is an addition for big Joe. With Kadri’s improved game, Grabo’s decline (amnesty buyout possibility) and Bozak (probably high $$$ demands) I’m sure Nonis wants to see if big Joe is ready for NHL duty and my affect Bozak/Grabo future on the teams.

Also with still stupid 4 call-ups allowed till end of the season rule, it makes me think Nonis is serious about it. Otherwise why would he burn 1 out 4 call-ups…

Now where would be play big Joe? Can he play a wing? I think he would be perfect as 3C, but what do we with Grabo? Do we play him on LW and we sit Frattin?

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Mac-Grabo-Colborne
Komarov-McClement-Orr

McLaren
MAC
Frattin

I’m not if Komarov/Mac are even ready to play….

The four call-up rule is a thing of the past. No limit on call-ups in the new CBA.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I believe the roster limit is now expanded so I think we will see a steady stream of Marlies having a game or two try out to see how they do. Good on Joe though, I wonder how Bozak will react to being in the press box.:sarcasm:

Listening to Nonis yesterday, my understanding of the new rules on call-ups is that they can tab up to 4 players from the Marlies to be called up who can be moved back and forth from the Leafs and their AHL affiliate during the post TD period. Further only 3 call-ups can be with the Leafs at any one time. If this is the case, Colborne and likely Hamilton would be 2 of up to 4 players that we might see up with the Leafs during this period. Have I interpreted the rules correctly?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
That's great but this really sucks for me... I got marlies tickets just to see him and Rielly play for the 16th, and then here he goes and gets called up -.-"

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Leafs need to sign Bozak. Kessel will walk if we dont. We need to rid ourselves of Grabovski.

Our Centers should be: Kadri, Bozak, Colborne, McClement.

The days of the KGM line are gone. Kuli is a staple on Kadri's line and Mac is unlikely to be re-signed IMO.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
The four call-up rule is a thing of the past. No limit on call-ups in the new CBA.

Appolegies, I think I was reading Nonis or someone that there was still 4 callups rule. It looks like it was modified under new CBA please see below...

Listening to Nonis yesterday, my understanding of the new rules on call-ups is that they can tab up to 4 players from the Marlies to be called up who can be moved back and forth from the Leafs and their AHL affiliate during the post TD period. Further only 3 call-ups can be with the Leafs at any one time. If this is the case, Colborne and likely Hamilton would be 2 of up to 4 players that we might see up with the Leafs during this period. Have I interpreted the rules correctly?

Makes sense... thank you ;)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's great but this really sucks for me... I got marlies tickets just to see him and Rielly play for the 16th, and then here he goes and gets called up -.-"

Well Percy is set to join the Marlies, that will make up for it a bit. Watching Rielly and Percy develop should be fun. Percy is going to be a really understated valuable soldier for us, it will probably take a group of games to notice his value, but he's going to be a top pairing D man one day IMO.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
He will probably start on the wing... With Koma and Mac still out.

I understand he played some LW before.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kuli
Colborne - Grabo - Frattin
McLaren - McClement - Orr

Phanuef - Gunnar
Liles - O'Byrne
Fraser - Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

Thant's what i think will happen to the lineup :nod:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Where does he fit in right now? Only option is 4th line center, but doesn't really make sense to put him there.

He likely won't play a game. He's only a short term callup I believe since McLaren is out with the flu.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Leafs need to sign Bozak. Kessel will walk if we dont. We need to rid ourselves of Grabovski.

Our Centers should be: Kadri, Bozak, Colborne, McClement.

The days of the KGM line are gone. Kuli is a staple on Kadri's line and Mac is unlikely to be re-signed IMO.

The only problem is what happens when we have an injury? Our Center depth on the Marlies is horrific.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think he plays at all..looks like he's up for insurance. I hope he gets a game to show what he can do.

IMO, he'll be on the Leafs next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad