TSN: Leafs recall Joe Colborne

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs need to sign Bozak. Kessel will walk if we dont. We need to rid ourselves of Grabovski.

Our Centers should be: Kadri, Bozak, Colborne, McClement.

The days of the KGM line are gone. Kuli is a staple on Kadri's line and Mac is unlikely to be re-signed IMO.

Yep, take Bozak out of our line up and we have a gaping hole down the middle. He leads all fwds in ice time, there is no one on our roster that can take his mins right now. He is far better than Ribeiro or Roy. His game is not one dimensional, and to a coach lke RC, this is very valuable and not easily replaced.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
Leafs need to sign Bozak. Kessel will walk if we dont. We need to rid ourselves of Grabovski.

The days of the KGM line are gone. Kuli is a staple on Kadri's line and Mac is unlikely to be re-signed IMO.

My thoughts exactly. There was a time when I loved Grabo, but is his play of late has made me feel otherwise. He seems too selfish, all his shots are predictable. I've seen the term"black hole" used on this forum a lot to describe Grabo and it seems to be quite accurate, with Mac, Hamilton, and Frattin being the latest victim of this black hole (previously kuleimin before moving to Kadris line).

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
I think it will all depend on Bozak demands. I can see Nonis taking a run at Stastny at the draft. In either case I can see Grabo either being an amnesty buyout or traded with some salary retained by Leafs (I think we are allowed 2, one was used in Lombardi trade).

Honestly I don't think Kessel would walk if Bozak was not re-signed, this is part of the business and not high school...

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
My thoughts exactly. There was a time when I loved Grabo, but is his play of late has made me feel otherwise. He seems too selfish, all his shots are predictable. I've seen the term"black hole" used on this forum a lot to describe Grabo and it seems to be quite accurate, with Mac, Hamilton, and Frattin being the latest victim of this black hole (previously kuleimin before moving to Kadris line).

He (Grabo) is reminding me of what he was like when he first got here, skating miles and accomplishing nothing.

I know he can play better, but he might just be one of those guys that struggles with inconsistency. It's just too bad he's getting paid based on the higher end of what he can do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think he plays at all..looks like he's up for insurance. I hope he gets a game to show what he can do.

IMO, he'll be on the Leafs next year.

One thing about RC that we know thus far, every Marlie called up thus far has played. I hope this will be the case with Colborne too, RC seems to run on the MO that if a player is deemed ready to be recalled by Eakins, he is good enough to play on the Leafs until they play themselves to the pressbox, like Gardiner did.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
You guys are getting way to ahead of yourselves....

He's only called up because mclaren is sick. He will either be in the press box as insurance or play a game or two and he's back down and will be probably play less then 5 minutes on the 4th line.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
He (Grabo) is reminding me of what he was like when he first got here, skating miles and accomplishing nothing.

I know he can play better, but he might just be one of those guys that struggles with inconsistency. It's just too bad he's getting paid based on the higher end of what he can do.

Yes, Jason Blake 2.0...

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
One thing about RC that we know thus far, every Marlie called up thus far has played. I hope this will be the case with Colborne too, RC seems to run on the MO that if a player is deemed ready to be recalled by Eakins, he is good enough to play on the Leafs until they play themselves to the pressbox, like Gardiner did.

with the exception of our most recent call up Jessi Blacker

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
As per TSN, we have Mac available for tonight.

@NHLonTSN: The @MapleLeafs should have Clark MacArthur back tonight from injury per @jonasTSN1050. #TSN #NHL #TMLtalk

Maybe a Mac - Colbourne - Frattin third line?

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012

@NHLonTSN: The @MapleLeafs should have Clark MacArthur back tonight from injury per @jonasTSN1050. #TSN #NHL #TMLtalk

This means joe sits In the press box until mclaren is feeling better. I would imagine RC goes with Hamilton on the 4th line with mclemment and Orr.

This is an insurance call up like with Jesse blacker the other week

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Curious move. They must want to check him out. If it was just to have a warm body to sit in the pressbox, Hamilton seems like a better choice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
with the exception of our most recent call up Jessi Blacker

True, I thought of him when I made that post. Maybe I watch more Marlie games than most here, but anyone that watched Blacker and Colborne this year would easily recognize one is NHL ready and the other is not, I am not sure of Blacker, he needs to reinvent himself into a stay at home D man. He is not the offensive defenceman that some think he is.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario

Give Grabo a game or two to view it from above? Might not be a completely bad idea

mokspeed

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto
This means joe sits In the press box until mclaren is feeling better. I would imagine RC goes with Hamilton on the 4th line with mclemment and Orr.

Agreed, probably just giving Colborne some increased salary like Blacker (correct me if I'm wrong) and also a chance to watch and learn from the press box of what he's expected to do.

Sitting in the press box with the GM for a young guy is a huge learning experience. It will also allow Colborne to understand what is expected of him when he does make the jump.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kind of surprised he got called up at this particular time but intrigued nonetheless. Still not quite sure of the logic, though.

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
Give Grabo a game or two to view it from above? Might not be a completely bad idea

My thoughts exactly.

Agreed, probably just giving Colborne some increased salary like Blacker (correct me if I'm wrong) and also a chance to watch and learn from the press box of what he's expected to do.

Sitting in the press box with the GM for a young guy is a huge learning experience. It will also allow Colborne to understand what is expected of him when he does make the jump.

Same goes for more experienced guys. ;)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Good to see him up for the bump in pay, and to learn a little from his future coach, as to what's expected of him, but much like Blacker, he's an insurance call-up.

Drink it in, Joe. Next year, we'll need ya.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Joe is a 2008 draft pick in the first rd, some of the players in this draft have already played 300+ NHL games. The kid does not need more time, it is time for the training wheels to come off, he will be here next year anyway, I applaud Nonis for calling him up so we can see what we got here. Anymore time in the AHL and it might be hurting his development, the key here is unlike his first call up, he is 100% healthy now. Important to note this for those that didn't know.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Yep, take Bozak out of our line up and we have a gaping hole down the middle. He leads all fwds in ice time, there is no one on our roster that can take his mins right now. He is far better than Ribeiro or Roy. His game is not one dimensional, and to a coach lke RC, this is very valuable and not easily replaced.

Agreed. Bozak is one of those players we probably dont realize how much is needed until he is gone. He is mis-cast as a #1 centre, but the bottom line is that Kadri and Lupul are now the real #1 line. Hoping he can be signed for around 4 million a year, which is probably fair and a likely much less than what it will cost to sign the likes of Ribiero, Weiss or Roy.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

Hamilton was sent down to the Marlies when the Leafs acquired O'Bryne. We know Carlyle likes Hamilton though so he is likely to be one of the 4 allowed call-ups.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good to see him up for the bump in pay, and to learn a little from his future coach, as to what's expected of him, but much like Blacker, he's an insurance call-up.

Drink it in, Joe. Next year, we'll need ya.

Mclaren is a winger. They could have called up D'amigo who has been playing well also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad