Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Sparks to a 1 year 750k contract

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Since his injury from Trouba.

Honestly I believe the whispers that he hates Babcock and I think that is the reason. However given his salary you expect him to perform no matter what.

A few other theories?

Leafs are coaching him to stay healthy and therefore are asking him to be less physical. Either the medical staff or coaching.. Or maybe this is something he is doing himself?

Maybe he is just trying to stay healthy for the playoffs where he will let go and play his game. If he gets hurt, oh well at that point he'll be back to normal by training camp.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Sparks vs. McIlhenny is irrelevant to the decision to sign Sparks to an extension as McIlhenny is gone.

Those that dislike the deal, do you really believe just not signing him at all would have been a better decision than keeping him at close the league minimum?

Reactions: ToDavid

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
He hasn't been great but I think he has the potential to improve. It's cheap which is what we need...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Leafs are coaching him to stay healthy and therefore are asking him to be less physical.

I feel this is it.
And he has to agree.

And yes, hopefully he is saving some mustard for the post season.

If Marleau plays on his line in the post season, I'll be disappointed.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
why-whhhhhyyyy.jpg

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Calgary it is this years starter that is worse.
The caps backup is far better he has played in 23 games and is 14-4 with .901. SAN Jose their back up has a worse sv percentage in many more minutes. So perhaps SAN Jose has gotten worse back up goaltending

San Jose actually has a starter and a backup with worse numbers than Sparks. At least they don't have to worry about a downgrade if their goalie gets hurt!

And Calgary's in a great position since their starter is worse than Sparks, but if he gets hurt they get an upgrade in net.

Your analysis of the Caps goaltending suggests you're just looking at wins and losses (since that SV% is worse than Sparks's), which I think sums up your stance in this conversation quite nicely.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I feel this is it.
And he has to agree.

And yes, hopefully he is saving some mustard for the post season.

If Marleau plays on his line in the post season, I'll be disappointed.

I get that Kadri is hurt and things have to be done, but if he doesn't even give Nylander and Matthews a chance before the playoffs (and I mean a good chance, like 2-3 games in a row with practice) to see if they can get each other going again, I won't know what to think.

We already know 1 thing, Bergeron is likely matching up against the JT line, which means the worst Matthews will have to deal with is Chara. The key to beating Boston is simply getting Matthews going so that while Bergeron and JT likely come out pretty even in scoring chances, Matthews is playing some pretty sub par competition.

Playing Nylander on the third line with plugs won't help anyone in the playoffs.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Ouch for extending him. I understand cap
Space is at a premium or will be but yikes to this move.

Better hope Freddy stays real healthy !

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I get that Kadri is hurt and things have to be done, but if he doesn't even give Nylander and Matthews a chance before the playoffs (and I mean a good chance, like 2-3 games in a row with practice) to see if they can get each other going again, I won't know what to think.

We already know 1 thing, Bergeron is likely matching up against the JT line, which means the worst Matthews will have to deal with is Chara. The key to beating Boston is simply getting Matthews going so that while Bergeron and JT likely come out pretty even in scoring chances, Matthews is playing some pretty sub par competition.

Playing Nylander on the third line with plugs won't help anyone in the playoffs.
He will. I think we're waiting for Kadri to come back, but I think it was the plan all along. Babcock said previously in an interview that he has it in the back of his mind and I think it would have happened already if Kadri didn't get hurt.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
that's basically my issue with it. (well with everything you've said).
i don't think Sparks should have the job, I don't think Sparks should be the back up next year . but as I said i just feel if anyone has to say anything that's not. *swoon, isn't this team so amazingly dreamy* it's "lol why can't you just enjoy the team."

easy. I can enjoy the team, and point out the flaws at the same time.

Do you not see the difference between pointing out flaws and freaking out over a contract that is close to the league minimum. A contract that pretty much every GM in this position would do?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
so basically, because the Leafs have a really good team - no one can have critical discussions or have things they don't like - or you know, discuss a contract in someone's contract thread? it just has to be 'it's fine, because we have a good team?"

Daisy usually i agree with you but in this case. Its not that big of a deal. It IS fine. We just signed an alright goalie at almost league minimum. Like others said we can easily bury his contract and send him to the Marlies if we find someone better. I dont know why people are overreacting so much but this is HF

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The sky is falling crowd is out in full force today.

Y’all realize that if Sparks doesn’t look up to par he can very easily be waived to the Marlies.

Imagine having the best Leafs team in 20+ years and being this upset about a backup goalie lol

Reactions: AllDay28

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Bobrovsky about to get paidddddd with his .904 save. But Sparks is being thrown to the wolves cause his .902 got him 750k

Gotta thnik Sparks is actually a team player.

Reactions: Menzinger

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
The sky is falling crowd is out in full force today.

Y’all realize that if Sparks doesn’t look up to par he can very easily be waived to the Marlies.

Imagine having the best Leafs team in 20+ years and being this upset about a backup goalie lol

its heart breaking cause i come off as this insufferable asshole on here cause i always point out every persons negative opinion. but its cause i dealt with horrid ass teams while ppl bashed the leafs (then jumped back on the bandwagon 3 yrs ago) and i know how bad it can be. and the situation right now is incredible.. but people complain.

Its the loser mentality. if you complain about shit, and they lose, youre right. if you complain about shit and they win, you can cheer with the rest of us cause everyone will be too damn happy to care about negative opinions. Win win for the lowest common denominator.

Reactions: rimshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad