Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Sparks to a 1 year 750k contract

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I would expect the Leafs with their resources to be able to identify a better backup than Sparks. Sparks hasn't been good as a backup, take a flyer on someone else imo. Don't force it just cos you made the mistake once going with him and are now trying to prove 'no he's actually good'.

The problem is the backup also has to be really cheap. So the combination of being proven better than Sparks while still being cheap would seem difficult to find, but I'm sure they'll try.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah, I'm just assuming that Hutchinson is not coming back and a backup is brought in. We should strive for better than what Sparks has provided. If we can't find that, then so be it. Sparks isn't as horrible as a lot of people make it.

Yeah I agree, it's the problem that for 750k, good luck finding a significantly better goalie

Reactions: Loosie

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Of course it did. Instead of cruising into the playoffs comfortably in second place, now they're forced to grind it out for home ice advantage.

View attachment 195633
View attachment 195635

In all 5 of Sparks regulation losses the Leafs scored 1 GF or fewer and was the 2nd half of a back to back with week long breaks between games. Thats a recipe for a loss for any goalie.

When the Leafs score 2 or more goals, Sparks is 7-0-1

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They need to have a goalie to expose for the X draft. If he is still an RFA next year he fills that slot and it doesn't mean they have any intention of not trying to upgrade.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Fine. Gives the player confidence this season and really it's meaningless as it relates to next year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dubas loves the fact that choosing Sparks over McBackup cost this team home ice advantage. Not a good sign when a GM can't admit his mistakes.

Umm Sparks is 7-5-1. He has either had a lot of goal support in his start or none.

I don’t like the way he plays but he hasn’t cost us anything. 7-5-1 playing back to back games is good.

Plus, he’s signed under 900K so his entire cap hit can vanish anytime and we will definitely have competition for the job.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Leafs sign existing backup to a cap-hit so low that if he's in the minors, there is no hit at all. Team can only win, fans can only benefit.

Forum erupts in outrage.

Reactions: Blair and Loosie

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
He was outplayed this year and given the job.

Next season will be different, if he still shaky and another goalie outplays him who also makes similar money, then i can't see how the leafs can justify keeping him over someone better, this year the excuse was that he was younger and just won a calder cup, no excuses next season.

At least thats what i'm hoping...

Reactions: TML Dynasty

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas loves the fact that choosing Sparks over McBackup cost this team home ice advantage. Not a good sign when a GM can't admit his mistakes.

1 point back with the tie breaker. With 16 games left (Bos 17)

Ya definitely no chance to get home ice...

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Of course it did. Instead of cruising into the playoffs comfortably in second place, now they're forced to grind it out for home ice advantage.

View attachment 195633
View attachment 195635

So with McBackup in net we win 2-3 more games so Sparks should have a 9-3 record instead of 7-5? Trust me Sparks shouldn't be on this team and this contract is simply securing a backup at league minimum and have the ability to bury it in minors if they find a better option come next season.

The savings on McBackup vs Sparks will help with absorbing the overages bonsues this year and save cap room for next year.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

View attachment 195633
View attachment 195635

I also submit to you our January record of 4-6-0. THAT'S why we're 'forced to grind it out for home ice advantage' (Psstt...Sparks played one game in January, and we lost 3-1 to Florida, where he only allowed 2 goals)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad