Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Jonathan Bernier - 4.15m for 2 Years

Mad Brills*

Good deal. 2 years from now we will know whether he's a top 10 goalie, or the leafs have to find one.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
Yup.
so he gets his money just via bonus - not all throughout the year. so I guess Bernier wanted oodles of years and 5.1 (wasn't happening). Leafs were offering 2, and arbitration was going to offer 1. so he took the best option available.

The only reason being the the 2nd year is free agency for him and weighing his options if he wanted to give that up rather then test the market.

He believes that he would get more $$$ in the 2nd year and a longer term deal thereafter.

However he must like it in Toronto and wanted to stay after weighing all his options with the 2nd year security, as UFA market is a gamble just ask Franson or others still sitting around.

Better for us too, he'll be easier to deal if he's not a pending UFA, if they want to go that route next off season. Definitely a win-win signing.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I see the Bernier contract as simply buying the Leafs time. I expect Lou to search for a Goalie in a similar situation as Schneider was in Vancouver to fill the #1 franchise goalie void missing from this Leafs organization.

Lou Lamorello is a big believer in goaltending. Maybe Subban and Fucale will become available at some time. I always thought these 2 were blue chip goaltending prospects that will have to bide their time given their teams have a proven #1 for years to come.

Neither one of those goalies have proven anything yet. Subban is at the same level as Gibson and people think he is a star in the making

RedLeaf099*

This deal means we plan on tanking the next 2 years. The Shanaplan is on!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Neither one of those goalies have proven anything yet. Subban is at the same level as Gibson and people think he is a star in the making

Truth is neither Bernier or Reimer have proven they are #1's either. Malcolm Subban is going to be a very good Goalie in this league one day. Quite a dilemma for Boston with Rask on a long term contract. Probably the best one drafted from the OHL that I can recall in some time. He has all the tools to be one. I wonder what Hunter and Morrison think?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I see the Bernier contract as simply buying the Leafs time. I expect Lou to search for a Goalie in a similar situation as Schneider was in Vancouver to fill the #1 franchise goalie void missing from this Leafs organization.

Lou Lamorello is a big believer in goaltending. Maybe Subban and Fucale will become available at some time. I always thought these 2 were blue chip goaltending prospects that will have to bide their time given their teams have a proven #1 for years to come.

Fucale has been bad. Product of being on a stacked Q team. He certainly may rebound but to date he has been pretty disappointing as a prospect.

Subban is a "good" prospect, but certainly does not have the price tag of a 15-25 pick in the draft, which the Bruins may demand, but I would never pay it. I think that if the Leafs would like to add a bluechip goaltending prospect, they would be better off utilizing 1 of their 3 (as of right now) top 60 picks on a goaltender in the upcoming drafts.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Personally I think Bibeau has a better chance of being an NHL starter than Fucale.

Ya Bibeau beat him head to head in the Q playoffs last season to get to the M-Cup. Lou Lam had a famous French goalie make look good in the past so you never know. Bibeau would do well to mature down in the E this season. Sparks is our next immediate prospect in net.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Fucale has been bad. Product of being on a stacked Q team. He certainly may rebound but to date he has been pretty disappointing as a prospect.

Subban is a "good" prospect, but certainly does not have the price tag of a 15-25 pick in the draft, which the Bruins may demand, but I would never pay it. I think that if the Leafs would like to add a bluechip goaltending prospect, they would be better off utilizing 1 of their 3 (as of right now) top 60 picks on a goaltender in the upcoming drafts.

I see Subban as the best OHL goalie to come out of there in recent memory, I agreed with Button in his draft year of being one of the more impactful players. He can steal a team games. Though I am aware goalies are not usually drafted in the first rd. I believe Carey Price should be a lesson for those that do not value special goalies. Lou Lamorello values goaltending, depending on how Reimer and Bernier play this year. I would not be surprised if he pulls another Schneider type deal at the draft if there are takers.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Ya Bibeau beat him head to head in the Q playoffs last season to get to the M-Cup. Lou Lam had a famous French goalie make look good in the past so you never know. Bibeau would do well to mature down in the E this season. Sparks is our next immediate prospect in net.

Exactly, and Brodeur and Bibeau both start with B so...

Bibeau = Brodeur

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
I remember when fans here complained that Burke NOT handing out long term deals was hampering the team.

Did the Flames not hand out a six year deal to Hamilton?

Burke would have handed out the same contracts Nonis did (minus the Clarkson).

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Did the Flames not hand out a six year deal to Hamilton?

Burke would have handed out the same contracts Nonis did (minus the Clarkson).

Burke's rule was in place before the most recent lockout when circumvention contracts were rampant around the League. I don't think it's entirely comparable, he might hold different views now that the CBA has changed contract structures.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
By calling him an NHL goalie? Lou took him to arbitration and started with a pay cut.

Whatever fits your narrative I guess.

The good part of this is that IF Bernier doesn't have another awful season this contract makes him somewhat easy to move.

Slight overpayment but I can deal with it.

you mean your narrative bud.

both sides were far apart so arbitration was the best solution. its a business first and always remember that. a team will always look to pay the least amount that it has to.

in contrast schnieder when going to NJ came off two great seasons in Vancouver he had a track record where bernier at this point does not. I wouldn't call this a bridge deal this is more of a show and prove deal.

if you read in between the lines the goal is to place a better team around him and if he performs as he shoud...they most likely lock him.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
The point is he didn't say anything supportive except that he is an NHL goaltender. Not sure how you derived from that that Lou is a fan. Have you seen his comments about Schneider and Brodeur? Again, that could change but you're reaching if you think that's Lou believing in Bernier.

And it's a moveable contract, that's helpful for us when we do eventually move him. I believe Lou can find better options at goaltender than Bernier.

If it had too much term or value it would be hard to trade. It still could be, but I think Bernier will have a better year than last year. How could he not.

again you mean his comments pertaining to one guy who had a track record of 10 years + and Schneider who had success in Vancouver?

you also didn't mention lou wasn't here when the team elected for the arbitration route. we get ur narrative already and logic isn't involved.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
which is what Bernier was basically asking and is why the Leafs took him to arbitration

26th actually and only 3/4s of a percentage point better then Reimer funny enough

http://faceoffs.net/stats/goalies?year=2014&season=2&situation=ev&sort=save_pct&sort_order=desc

not overly excited about the money as I still think it may be a half million too much, he regressed and didn't really deserve the raise, but meh

the 2 year term is just right, the Leafs will know by the end of next season if Bibeau can be the guy and if so can decide on whether Jimmy Reims or Sparks can serve as the long term b/u......... conversely they'll have another year to decide if Bernier is worth an extension next summer
how many games did reamer play again? cause 3/4 of a percentage point when you play 20 games less is a moot point. your not paying that 1-2 mil extra in the raise so why cry about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad