Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Jonathan Bernier - 4.15m for 2 Years

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
My god it's nice to see a management team that doesn't throw around 5 year deals like they're Halloween candy.

Well done

I remember when fans here complained that Burke NOT handing out long term deals was hampering the team.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
For being a fan of the arbitration process, you might want to know that the arbitrator can pick in between the numbers...

Marcus Johansson asked for 4.75m/1yr, Capitals asked for 3m/1yr and he ended up getting 3.75m/1year from the arbitrator.

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/marcus-johansson-awarded-one-year-deal/

Edit: The more important part of the Leafs making a deal with Bernier is the extra year they got. They can easily re-sign or move Bernier when they make a long-term decision on him more-so than if they had waited for the Arbitration ruling.

If your saying the arbitrator must pick something in between the clubs number and the player's/agent number, that is not how the CBA works. The arbitrator has sole discretion on "weighting" the relevancy and accuracy of both the team's and the player's/agent evidence. He can decide that neither party's evidence or case are reflective of market value and make a decision based on his own methods/process.

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I remember when fans here complained that Burke NOT handing out long term deals was hampering the team.

Fans here complain about everything. I swear someone would complain that they won the Stanley Cup. Too soon, eating up development years of prospects...some dumb argument.

Leaf Nation Demographic is so huge it envelopes all known nuances of humanity.

Right now short term is the way to go. You have unknown development length of prospects, unfulfilled potential of young roster players, slowing cap growth. In 4-5 years your going to need the space to lock up your proven young players though, you don't want your Marners, Nylanders Rielly's or whomever your going to stick with to slip into UFA territory too early.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Burke's philosophy of capping deals at 5 years was probably one of the smarter ones he had here.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I always thought so. I just find it funny hearing people talk like this is a new strategy. It was the strategy two years ago for God's sake.

To be fair, watching the Leafs the past two years probably seemed like a lifetime.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I see the Bernier contract as simply buying the Leafs time. I expect Lou to search for a Goalie in a similar situation as Schneider was in Vancouver to fill the #1 franchise goalie void missing from this Leafs organization.

Lou Lamorello is a big believer in goaltending. Maybe Subban and Fucale will become available at some time. I always thought these 2 were blue chip goaltending prospects that will have to bide their time given their teams have a proven #1 for years to come.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I see the Bernier contract as simply buying the Leafs time. I expect Lou to search for a Goalie in a similar situation as Schneider was in Vancouver to fill the #1 franchise goalie void missing from this Leafs organization.

Lou Lamorello is a big believer in goaltending. Maybe Subban and Fucale will become available at some time. I always thought these 2 were blue chip goaltending prospects that will have to bide their time given their teams have a proven #1 for years to come.

Leafs don't seem to be overcommitting to any player.

More questions than answers on everyone they are signing.

Smart approach, pay them to big bucks when they deserve them not based on wishful thinking.

one77

Dec 22, 2013

Bernier is a #1 and he is young with potential to be elite. This is his spot to lose in the next 2 years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Smart approach, pay them to big bucks when they deserve them not based on wishful thinking.

Blue and white disease and sense of entitlement has been a problem in Toronto for a long time.

Making players earn their money is exactly how one addresses that issue.

Bernier's deal fits that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Can't disagree with this approach. To be realistic, there are going to be a lot of changes before this roster is a finished product when it reaches contender status. I doubt either goalie we have now will be part of that finished product. Short term movable contracts seem to be the norm for this new Mgt staff.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Since we aren't a contender...

These contracts are easier to trade for assets etc. Everyone is auditioning if they are 25 or older.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Happy with 2 because good goalies are a dime a dozen. 3rd-ranked goalies on the depth chart (stuck behind two others and in the A) often come in and put up .915-.920+. Bernier will be UFA at the end of this and it'll be easy to move on if he doesn't blossom.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Fans here complain about everything. I swear someone would complain that they won the Stanley Cup. Too soon, eating up development years of prospects...some dumb argument.

I've said this before and I know it will happen if the Leafs win the Cup - there is a segment of Leafs Nation who, if the Leafs win the Cup in a seven game series, won't be out celebrating with the rest of us but will, instead, immediately be calling in to sports talk radio proclaiming that they should have won it in five games and they will be pontificating about exactly how that could and should have been done.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I agree this is the best approach to signing players, earning their spot on the team, as well as, their value in doing their job.

In a cap driven sport, a team can not over pay a player and especially have one on a long-term contract and then be committed to playing him, even if it brings down the over all performance of the team, as happened with the Clarkson contract and even though he could help the team somewhat as a role player, at his cap hit and term, it was disproportionate to his actual value.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have to think Leafs are looking for a goalie of the future. To me a 2 year 4.15M deal is just a postponement of the inevitable.

Lou Lamorello traded for Schneider. He had Brodeur almost his entire career. He knows the importance in having one of the best goalies in the NHL.

It will be interesting to see what the Leafs have up their sleeves or who is on their Goaltending radar?
Phaneuf for Subban and a 1st if the Bruins are in a playoff position at the trade deadline???????

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
According to Bernier - the Leafs offer never changed from day 1. So it was taking a the security of the year vs. dealing with the stress of a one year deal (heh in this market).

so that's interesting.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
According to Bernier - the Leafs offer never changed from day 1. So it was taking a the security of the year vs. dealing with the stress of a one year deal (heh in this market).

so that's interesting.

So they've been offering 4.15 plus 2 mill in bonuses since the beginning? Can't believe Bernier didn't just take that, that's very fair

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So they've been offering 4.15 plus 2 mill in bonuses since the beginning? Can't believe Bernier didn't just take that, that's very fair

Yup.
so he gets his money just via bonus - not all throughout the year. so I guess Bernier wanted oodles of years and 5.1 (wasn't happening). Leafs were offering 2, and arbitration was going to offer 1. so he took the best option available.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The only reason being the the 2nd year is free agency for him and weighing his options if he wanted to give that up rather then test the market.

He believes that he would get more $$$ in the 2nd year and a longer term deal thereafter.

However he must like it in Toronto and wanted to stay after weighing all his options with the 2nd year security, as UFA market is a gamble just ask Franson or others still sitting around.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Bernier performs , we will likely be looking for a substantial raise in two ears.

I suspect he Leafs made a decent case at arbitration for him simply having not proved enough that he's a top goalie in the league.

I'm fine with him becoming a core piece of the a leafs moving forward if he proves it - but in general I don't like thing up list of cap space in goaltending.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I've said this before and I know it will happen if the Leafs win the Cup - there is a segment of Leafs Nation who, if the Leafs win the Cup in a seven game series, won't be out celebrating with the rest of us but will, instead, immediately be calling in to sports talk radio proclaiming that they should have won it in five games and they will be pontificating about exactly how that could and should have been done.

LOL.....not many would be listening....or at least not me I would be to busy celebrating!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad