Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Jonathan Bernier - 4.15m for 2 Years

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Great deal. If we decide to part ways it'll be an easy contract to move. I have my doubts that we will be competitive in those 2 years so I think he will be moved eventually. Maybe a draft day type move next June. I like Bernier, but I doubt he wants to stick around. I'm guessing it'll be him initiating trade talks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree, that's a good deal for both and it will give him 2 years to prove he is worth more.

An improved system and more structure this year under Babcock will help Bernier's stats and he would have cost even more in the future.

Not sure how much the arbitration process played a part in this as Leafs were offering $2.89 and ended up paying JB $4.15 mil and a nice raise from Bernier's $2.9 mil average last 2 year deal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Fair deal. This puts him right with other goalies/comparables I posted on yesterday.

A very movable contract if Leafs want to separate themselves from Bernier if they decide to.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Glad it's not three years. Giving him two years will also improve his trade value come the deadline if they look at that option.

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Worth every penny in my op, and now he gets two years to prove his worth while towards the end/middle of the second year we may start to become competitive

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It's a good deal for both sides and sets the bar, for over paying for players and with a great coach in Babcock taking over this season, last years results and player stats, are erased and basically everyone is starting fresh but it will be up to each player, to show their stuff and what their real worth is, some will excel some won't.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
Agreed Paradoc.

Why bother with Arbitration and all it brings if you're going to give him 4.15? I mean they knew they were out to lunch asking for 5+, I don't get it.

He'd better bring it this year.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Great deal for both sides. It's really not all that much for your starting goalie. As was stated elsewhere that puts him 24th in terms of cap hit for NHL goalies next year....not exactly giving him the moon here.

2 years gives him some security and buys the Leafs some UFA time. If he is as good as he has the ability to be, that gives them the chance to give him a bigger extension. And despite all the raging, that's not bad money for the skill level that Bernier has. Not that it matters much anyways since it's 2 years and we suck.

If Bernier isn't the guy we're not handcuffed at all here. If he is then we've got the chance to confirm that and lock him up. I think he's got the skill to get the job done, just have to see if he brings that next season with Babcock at the helm. If Babcock can finally get the Leafs to play solid defense then Bernier could get the job done out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad