Confirmed with Link: Leafs Re-sign Carrick to 1 year deal (600k; two-way)

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
So far Carrick looks like another poster boy for a losing team so he's a natural for TO. To me it appeared obvious he wasn't up for the NHL challenge and I'm hoping TO can come up with more suitable players to play for TO, at best he'd be a settle until someone better comes along.

I'm not a McClemment fan but I think his game is actually superior to Carrick's, Smith's and Holland's, I would have preferred that all those 3 not play for TO wasting roster space, I would prefer that TO play players that either deserve to play in the NHL or show the potential to warrant their occupying roster positions instead of just giving team positions to players that don't deserve it.

I thought Smithson had a greater impact on TO last year than Carrick did this year, I had hoped that Carrick would show far more than he did but I think it's pretty obvious he will struggle to fill even a 4th line position in the future.

Did you expect him to put up PPG stats while receiving 6:29 of ice time per game? Carrick isn't a player that you can measure by stat watching. If you pay attention to his game you know he's a bottom 6 sparkplug that doesn't stop skating or hitting. He's the type of player that team's want on their fourth line.

He's also signed to a two-way contract. It isn't guaranteed that he's going to be on the Leafs this season (although I hope he is).

Also, you can't compare a 23-year-old's game to that of a 32-year-old (McClement) or a 36-year-old (Smithson). Carrick still has the potential to get better. At 32, your game has most likely topped out and is on the decline. At 36, even moreso.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
A guy no one's heard of, who will be lucky if he becomes a regular 4th liner, being signed.

Plan the parade. :)

Why do people keep on saying "plan the parade" after every move the Leafs do? Are the Leafs the only ones who make minor moves?

Also, the parade has been planned for friggin' decades. We couldn't plan it any more than we already have. Get off our backs, already. ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So far Carrick looks like another poster boy for a losing team so he's a natural for TO. To me it appeared obvious he wasn't up for the NHL challenge and I'm hoping TO can come up with more suitable players to play for TO, at best he'd be a settle until someone better comes along.

I'm not a McClemment fan but I think his game is actually superior to Carrick's, Smith's and Holland's, I would have preferred that all those 3 not play for TO wasting roster space, I would prefer that TO play players that either deserve to play in the NHL or show the potential to warrant their occupying roster positions instead of just giving team positions to players that don't deserve it.

I thought Smithson had a greater impact on TO last year than Carrick did this year, I had hoped that Carrick would show far more than he did but I think it's pretty obvious he will struggle to fill even a 4th line position in the future.

Holland is better at every aspect of the game than Mclemment.

Why waste one million + on a guy like Jay when a comparable home draft pick will only cost 600k AND it be a two way deal.

I still don't understand how anyone can be mad at this deal.

Last edited:

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Lost in all this is the fact that this is the first post Nonis player transaction by the Leafs. Was it Dubas who negotiated? Pridham? Who decided on only one year and the two way contract. I didn't think the leafs could operate without a GM in place?:sarcasm:

I think it speaks volumes to Carrick's value that they took care of him first.
Guy is a winner. Maybe not a shiny star, but a winner.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Why waste one million + on a guy like Jay when a comparable home draft pick will only cost 600k AND it be a two way deal.

Peter Holland is pretty underrated. What he is first-most is a goal-scoring centre and those numbers still look good despite being under a McClement-esque role. I still see top six upside in him.

As for Carrick, he's the definition of a energy centre. He's steady in the middle and works really hard. If Biggs was a stronger skater and used his body, he would've been interesting to have on the wing.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The contract is pretty much exactly what I thought it should be. It contains a reward for his progression during his entry level deal with a substantial raise at the AHL level (>50%) and a modest, easy to carry NHL hit. It's a first sign to this fan that the new people running this team right now know what they're doing.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

I for one am not mad at the deal, what angers me is that TO fans still need to feel that signing Carrick has any sort of value to the Leafs.

People on here are stating that Carrick in their estimation is a significant signing, an indication that TO is going in the right direction both of which make no sense to me. Carrick is and will be a last ditch option for TO and will never be an impact player no matter which position he plays, his signing is about as significant as was resigning Holzer which many felt was significant because of his well I've never known why but some can always find a glass half full no matter how ludicrous.

To me Carrick is someone who is using up 1 of 50 signings all teams are allowed, his max future is the AHL and in a pinch fill in the NHL in a tank situation, anyone who envisioned more from him had their rose colored glasses on. He had zero impact thru the majority of his icetime, he definitely didn't measure up to his opposition who were also 4th liners, Sill was a far better player than him in the same role. i rarely noticed Carrick when he did get a playing opportunity, Sill was at least noticeable.

I think many are missing the point, Carrick is 23 years old and he hasn't really made a good impression both in the NHL or AHL, I can't understand why he was resigned except it's another indication of how poor TO's depth of talent is.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
What do you expect a guy to do with 6:29 of ice time in a game? I, for one, noticed Carrick every time he was on the ice when I was watching. He stood out because he was one of the few players showing a bit of hustle. He's a hard worker. That's why people are happy we resigned him. The current iteration of the Leafs isn't necessarily known to be hard working and Carrick, even with the potential to top out as a bottom sixer, is a step in the right direction.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
What do you expect a guy to do with 6:29 of ice time in a game? I, for one, noticed Carrick every time he was on the ice when I was watching. He stood out because he was one of the few players showing a bit of hustle. He's a hard worker. That's why people are happy we resigned him. The current iteration of the Leafs isn't necessarily known to be hard working and Carrick, even with the potential to top out as a bottom sixer, is a step in the right direction.

Carrick isn't a proper bottom 6 option and that's why he received a 1 year contract, there are tons of talentless players who would hustle so why not look for more talented hustlers. People are mistaking hustle as a sign of a capable and redeemable player, he isn't, TO should be using his depth position on potential rather than settling on another D'Amigo, hustle is good but hustle with purpose is far more valuable and that requires talent. There's a reason he only received 6 minutes of icetime, he's a lost cause and a symbol of TO's amazing lack of depth.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Carrick isn't a proper bottom 6 option and that's why he received a 1 year contract, there are tons of talentless players who would hustle so why not look for more talented hustlers. People are mistaking hustle as a sign of a capable and redeemable player, he isn't, TO should be using his depth position on potential rather than settling on another D'Amigo, hustle is good but hustle with purpose is far more valuable and that requires talent. There's a reason he only received 6 minutes of icetime, he's a lost cause and a symbol of TO's amazing lack of depth.

Carrick is a symbol for nothing. Every organization in the NHL has prospects like him with limited upside. Some of the praise for him in this thread is over the top but Shanahan spoke about creating an atmosphere of enthusiasm for being a Toronto Maple Leaf. At the very least, this player brings that.

As for D'Amigo, you're doing exactly the same thing with him that you're accusing everyone else of doing with Carrick. There are some things that D'Amigo does better than Carrick (skating) but there are also several things Carrick does better (heavy on the forecheck, make safe plays) than D'Amigo who hasn't any more NHL success than Carrick. Carrick has taken almost as many career SOG in half the career NHL games with significantly lower minutes. Both are marginal but Carrick has had the better results to date.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

He works hard, has great character, has been a leader at every level below the NHL, doesn't hurt you, accepts his roles, is an easy gamble & the contract length & amount is basically insignificant. If he works out, great, if he doesn't no big deal either.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad