Confirmed with Link: Leafs Re-sign Carrick to 1 year deal (600k; two-way)

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Sill is 27, Smith is 30. Neither have proven themselves as NHL regulars. Sill has no real skill except bringing energy. You must first be good at hockey before intangibles come into play. Smith is a good AHL scorer, useless at the NHL level.

They're fairly useless in the short and long term.
But, the Leafs are pros at acquiring and signing such players. :)

'Probably the experts of the NHL at it. :)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He was an RFA.....he will likley have a two way deal....with a raise at the Marlie level.

He is a player who we need at this time....works hard. Could be the Marlies Captain if he is not a Leaf!

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Rewarding mediocrity. That of course is if he was given a 1 way which I hope is unlikely.

Why? It's probably less than 900k, so won't effect our cap if he doesn't make the team. Why do you care what he gets paid?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Nice signing, well deserved

If we're going to suck, give some players a chance

Exactly, see what we have.

He won't hurt us, he's a good character player with leadership qualities & he can handle the physical side of the NHL. Give him a look.

I would like to see Byron Froese given a little looksie.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Exactly, see what we have.

He won't hurt us, he's a good character player with leadership qualities & he can handle the physical side of the NHL. Give him a look.

I would like to see Byron Froese given a little looksie.

Or let him prove last season wasn't a fluke

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Happy with this. During the building phase, when we are still looking to acquire good picks in the next draft, I think having a lot of good honest hard workers is the best product to put on the ice. The way I see it, is if there's still another season or two of losing ahead, then I'd rather see role players giving their all, than talented players who don't.

Not saying we should be icing an entire roster of hardworkers who are playing above their station. But I think giving the likes of Carrick an extended roster spot could see them develop into something that would be very useful further down the line, whilst also showing the effort demanded from the fans.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Kevin Marshall of the Toronto Marlies, Sam Carrick has the worst style on the team. :laugh:

[NHL]820763[/NHL]

hK885SR.jpg

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
A guy no one's heard of, who will be lucky if he becomes a regular 4th liner, being signed.

Plan the parade. :)

Have you enjoyed your first month of being a Leafs fan?
I find it hard to believe you've never heard of Sam Carrick, if you are indeed a fan.

Signing is no surprise. Showed grit and the willingness to battle when the majority of the roster did not.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Sam Carrick speaks with the media regarding the 2014-2015 season at locker clean out day.

[nhl]819098[/nhl]

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Stouffville Sun-Tribune, Sam Carrick felt that playing in 16 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs this past season was a great learning experience and one that he can take forward with him in his quest to crack the Maple Leafs’ starting roster next season from the get go.

http://www.yorkregion.com/sports-st...ights-on-making-maple-leafs-roster-this-fall/

Sam Carrick appears to have made the most in his time as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Playing in just 16 regular season games with the National Hockey League club this past season and compiling one goal and one assist, the 23-year-old Stouffville resident’s on-ice performance made an impression with management to where they inked him to a one-year, two-way contract, the Maple Leafs announced Tuesday.

Terms were undisclosed.

For Carrick, a fifth-round pick of the Maple Leafs from the 2010 NHL draft, the news brought a sense of relief.

“It’s a great weight off of my shoulders,” he said. “Especially with the moves the club has made. It’s good to know they see me as a piece of the puzzle and a part of their future.”

Spending the remaining portion of the regular season with the Leafs’ American Hockey League affiliate Toronto Marlies where he had nine goals and 18 assists in 59 regular season games, Carrick speculated no contract negotiations were made during the season.

But once the Marlies were eliminated from the AHL playoffs, a deal was struck in rather quick fashion by his agent.

“During the year they (Maple Leafs) don’t say too much for the next year because you’re focused on trying to make the playoffs."

“But once the Marlies were eliminated I’m certain they (Maple Leafs) wanted to get it out of the way and move on with other matters,” he said.

Reflecting on his NHL baptism last season, Carrick felt it was a great learning experience and one that he can take forward with him in his quest to crack the Maple Leafs’ starting roster from the get go.

“It was great to have that opportunity,” the former Stouffville and Markham minor hockey player who also suited up Stouffville District Secondary School. "It means something and it showed they liked what they saw of me."

“It’s good to know going into the summer what type of summer I have to have."

“I want to get faster and stronger. That’s the goal - to make the Maple Leafs’ roster from the start.”

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

carrick took his 16 games of experience back down to the ahl and was a crucial piece for the toronto marlies down the stretch. His play helped the team to a seven-game win streak to close out the season. He was also one of the marlies' most consistent performers in their quarterfinal against grand rapids.

With a roster conceivably in flux, the leafs will have jobs available in training camp next season. The key for carrick will be turning his experience into momentum.

"they gave me a great opportunity, playing a handful of games up there," said carrick. "i gained a lot of experience and i think have a better idea of what type of summer i have to have to go up and have a good year next year."

the opportunity to be with the big club was an eye-opener for carrick. Coaches often cite consistency as the biggest difference between rookies and veterans in the league. That's the focus for his game moving forward.

"just what it takes to get there and stay there. I think they gave me the opportunity to showcase where i've come in the last couple of years," said carrick. "the biggest thing for me is being able to stay there. Be consistent every night and be the type of player coaches know what they're going to get out of every night."

the key for carrick moving forward is bringing it at an nhl level every night. With a good summer of work, he could be a regular face at air canada centre by the fall.

"playing the 16 games i feel i am close," said carrick. "i just need to work on being consistent and being that player coaches can rely on that they know they're going to get 100 per cent effort every night."

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
So far Carrick looks like another poster boy for a losing team so he's a natural for TO. To me it appeared obvious he wasn't up for the NHL challenge and I'm hoping TO can come up with more suitable players to play for TO, at best he'd be a settle until someone better comes along.

I'm not a McClemment fan but I think his game is actually superior to Carrick's, Smith's and Holland's, I would have preferred that all those 3 not play for TO wasting roster space, I would prefer that TO play players that either deserve to play in the NHL or show the potential to warrant their occupying roster positions instead of just giving team positions to players that don't deserve it.

I thought Smithson had a greater impact on TO last year than Carrick did this year, I had hoped that Carrick would show far more than he did but I think it's pretty obvious he will struggle to fill even a 4th line position in the future.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Does that post surprise you? Somehow it's become cool to flaunt ignorance these days.

This..there are some funny guys in this forum who just crave for attention and hate positive things on the Leafs..Carrick deserves this contract and i think he's the perfect 4th line center going forward

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Lost in all this is the fact that this is the first post Nonis player transaction by the Leafs. Was it Dubas who negotiated? Pridham? Who decided on only one year and the two way contract. I didn't think the leafs could operate without a GM in place?:sarcasm:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lost in all this is the fact that this is the first post Nonis player transaction by the Leafs. Was it Dubas who negotiated? Pridham? Who decided on only one year and the two way contract. I didn't think the leafs could operate without a GM in place?:sarcasm:

maybe they learned the secret code word.

It was probably Hunter & Pirdham. (Hunter's been doing a lot of the gm'ing round these parts)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So far Carrick looks like another poster boy for a losing team so he's a natural for TO. To me it appeared obvious he wasn't up for the NHL challenge and I'm hoping TO can come up with more suitable players to play for TO, at best he'd be a settle until someone better comes along.

I'm not a McClemment fan but I think his game is actually superior to Carrick's, Smith's and Holland's, I would have preferred that all those 3 not play for TO wasting roster space, I would prefer that TO play players that either deserve to play in the NHL or show the potential to warrant their occupying roster positions instead of just giving team positions to players that don't deserve it.

I thought Smithson had a greater impact on TO last year than Carrick did this year, I had hoped that Carrick would show far more than he did but I think it's pretty obvious he will struggle to fill even a 4th line position in the future.

Where are people getting this idea that we are going to have a 23-man roster full of deserving NHL players? Where are these players going to come from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad