GDT: Leafs @ Rangers - 730 Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Nobody is disputing the differences. Like I said I like Keefe, A LOT. My argument involves some nuance. Cooper hasn't really changed, it isn't a useless comparison, it shows a talented team found an internal motivation to get back on track.

You're living in a dream world if you don't think the fans and media won't turn on Keefe in two years if we haven't made it to a cup final. Maybe go back and read what was said about Babcock when we had a record year.

Nuance. That's like having a screen door on a submarine in here LOL. Trying to find the lighter side of things today.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nobody is disputing the differences. Like I said I like Keefe, A LOT. My argument involves some nuance. Cooper hasn't really changed, it isn't a useless comparison, it shows a talented team found an internal motivation to get back on track.

You're living in a dream world if you don't think the fans and media won't turn on Keefe in two years if we haven't made it to a cup final. Maybe go back and read what was said about Babcock when we had a record year.

Nobody ever thought Babcock was flexible even in the record year, his approach either works or he gets fired. There's no possibility of him making adjustments or giving players like Holl or Leivo a real opportunity after he's made up his mind about them.

Not winning the cup because you refused to play your two best players together is infinitely worse than not winning the cup because you tried everything and just didn't have the horses to get it done. Last series loss is squarely on Babcock's decision making and nothing else.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Only reason to be optimistic is that in his last few starts Hutch has been good. Relief appearances not so much. Hopefully he’s on his game tonight.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nobody ever thought Babcock was flexible even in the record year, his approach either works or he gets fired. There's no possibility of him making adjustments or giving players like Holl or Leivo a real opportunity after he's made up his mind about them.

Not winning the cup because you refused to play your two best players together is infinitely worse than not winning the cup because you tried everything and just didn't have the horses to get it done. Last series loss is squarely on Babcock's decision making and nothing else.
You just went off on a tangent that had ZERO to do with my point.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You just went off on a tangent that had ZERO to do with my point.

Not making the cup finals in 2 years isn't a static thing, if we don't make it because Freddy spontaneously combusts in a game 7, I don't think anyone's hanging that loss on Keefe.

Babcock was directly responsible for not making it out of the first round, if Keefe's decisions are the reason we don't make it then yeah people are right to turn on him. So far I haven't seen anything from him that's directly causing us to lose games.

I get that some people are going to turn on him regardless of what he does if we don't win, but it's going to be a smaller group than the one that turned on Babcock. Results matter but so does the approach.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I have zero confidence in Hutch. He can win the next 20 games and I'll have zero confidence in him
Reminds me of Reimer, will make some spectacular saves, win few games here and there. Only to fall flat with easy saves or saves that could win the game

Last game was so Reimer in game 7 and the final 10 mins. We just needed one big save, we just needed him to hold on to the puck, slow it down.

The mental state of this team really worries me. People are going to say, well, that was just a bad game

Wins do that. They make you forget. After Dallas scored the 3rd goal the game before, they had turned it on. We couldn't contain them. They were on us for good 7 minutes. I bet people forgot that
Sens game, we had a hard time beating a starless medicore team that took us to OT
Preds, there was a period in the 3rd period after they scored, they owned the Leafs

This team is just always one bad play away from mentally falling apart. Maybe a bad goal, bad shift or a bad penalty

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not going to lie, we need this one bad

Butcher this and things are going to get really tricky, especially with our competition winning every bloody night it seems

So win, no excuses (including that plug Hutchinson)

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Bold prediction: we're gonna get a deal for Georgiev done within the next 24 hours.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I feel like Hutch started playing well at the worst time. If he continue to struggle under keefe he likely would have gotten replaced. Now with Andy possibly missing some time the cost of a backup likely increases significantly as other GMs will know the leafs are in a bind. Especially having already traded their 1st rounder so just missing the playoffs in one of the worst case scenarios

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not a huge fan of Kerfoot on that second line, he's been largely a passenger.

I've liked him there. I liked Engvall/Mikheyev better, but he's been much better in that spot than Kap, and Johnsson has too much tunnel vision to play with Tavares/Will.

I like how he doesn't kill plays on his stick, it's really all you can ask for when you're playing with those two guys (other than a natural goal scorer with similar tendencies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad