GDT: Leafs @ Rangers - 730 Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Looking for a well earned beat down of the Rangers. However, expecting a disappointing, fully embarrassing, unexpected, effortless loss!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm loving Keefe, he's been a breathe of fresh air, but some are acting like he walks on water and every improvement is solely because of his other worldly attributes. Again, TB has been better without a change, perhaps just maybe part of the "turnaround" is just guys doing the job they're paid too, rather than Moses coming down from the mount with his game plan, as well as the devil incarnate holding them back.

At the beginning of the year many of us felt this was the most talented group we've assembled, something was obviously wrong, but something was also wrong with the reigning top team the year prior. One changed a coach, the other one didn't, both WOKE up and started to play like they can.

I'd also like to go on record right now stating if this team doesn't win the cup in the next two years, if we have another playoff setback, the same Keefe is Jesus crowd will TURN on him too. It has happened to every single Leafs coach since I've watched, without exception. It isn't right, but it's human nature, particularly in a "what have you done for my lately" league.

Keefe has done a fantastic job to date imho, so I'm not detracting. I just find it curious that TB suddenly turned it around, a similarly talented team, without making any change.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hutchinson has been strong his last few starts, and sub par coming on in relief of Freddy.
I expect him to have a much better outing tonight than he did against Florida.

Hopefully the boys will provide enough offense to get the 2 points.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lebrun pumping Dumba who is having a down year but is 25 and has lots to work with while Mike Johnson brings up Big Buff.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think we're due for a big win. Just need to get on the board early and not wilt if Hutchinson lets in a bad goal or two.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly having trouble getting excited for this. As someone else said, it felt like a bad playoff loss last game. Still bitter about it. Just don't even want to think about hockey at all.

Most likely going to tune it, but man. I feel more hopeless about the team than I have in years. The difference between before having a bad team collapse vs knowing you have a damn good team, on a limited window, and wasting a year in the dumbest way.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm loving Keefe, he's been a breathe of fresh air, but some are acting like he walks on water and every improvement is solely because of his other worldly attributes. Again, TB has been better without a change, perhaps just maybe part of the "turnaround" is just guys doing the job they're paid too, rather than Moses coming down from the mount with his game plan, as well as the devil incarnate holding them back.

At the beginning of the year many of us felt this was the most talented group we've assembled, something was obviously wrong, but something was also wrong with the reigning top team the year prior. One changed a coach, the other one didn't, both WOKE up and started to play like they can.

I'd also like to go on record right now stating if this team doesn't win the cup in the next two years, if we have another playoff setback, the same Keefe is Jesus crowd will TURN on him too. It has happened to every single Leafs coach since I've watched, without exception. It isn't right, but it's human nature, particularly in a "what have you done for my lately" league.

Keefe has done a fantastic job to date imho, so I'm not detracting. I just find it curious that TB suddenly turned it around, a similarly talented team, without making any change.

Careful now, you'll get lumped in with the rest of us "Babcock Supporters" with such objective blasphemy.

Reactions: ACC1224

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The difference is Keefe is open to trying new things and Babcock wasn't. If something isn't working, only one of those two approaches can fix it and it isn't Babcock's.

Comparing to Tampa is useless unless Cooper refuses to try different lines and breakouts, a smart coach adapts to changing league trends and roster realities.

People will still turn on Keefe, no question, but a lot less of them will. It's easier to earn goodwill from the fans when you can earnestly say "I tried everything and it just didn't work out" instead of "I bet on Mike Babcock every day".

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
That last game left a bad taste in my mouth but they're 3 of 4 since the all star break and were lucky to beat the sens. Tavares looked better last game and I think they get it done tonight

Reactions: NinjaKick

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
With the goaltending and defensive efforts this team puts out, we’re going to have score at a minimum 4 goals and even that’s cutting it close. Can’t see these guys giving up less than 3

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The difference is Keefe is open to trying new things and Babcock wasn't. If something isn't working, only one of those two approaches can fix it and it isn't Babcock's.

Comparing to Tampa is useless unless Cooper refuses to try different lines and breakouts, a smart coach adapts to changing league trends and roster realities.

People will still turn on Keefe, no question, but a lot less of them will. It's easier to earn goodwill from the fans when you can earnestly say "I tried everything and it just didn't work out" instead of "I bet on Mike Babcock every day".
Nobody is disputing the differences. Like I said I like Keefe, A LOT. My argument involves some nuance. Cooper hasn't really changed, it isn't a useless comparison, it shows a talented team found an internal motivation to get back on track.

You're living in a dream world if you don't think the fans and media won't turn on Keefe in two years if we haven't made it to a cup final. Maybe go back and read what was said about Babcock when we had a record year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not a huge fan of Kerfoot on that second line, he's been largely a passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad