Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Rangers 1/26/13 "Boyle stole DZ's goal" Edition

Garv23

Jan 27, 2007
Rockland, NY
This stuff cracks me up. Asham's fights are entertaining as hell win or lose. I'd love to see anyone here that's complaining about a fight loss to take a stab at it.

Solid game last night all game long. Forechecked the Leafs into oblivion. I thought Ferriero was very noticable and a good addition. I though Hags had his best game too. He was skating hard all night. This is the Rangers I like to see.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Also I maybe in the minority on this one but the Gabby-Richards-Nash line should be broken up to spread out the offense on this team unless Hagelin steps up to be a true goal scorer. We cannot have Rupp on the as our 3rd line rw. It will sprwad things out and IMO create a more balanced attack. I think that line should only be used for pp situations and late in the game 3rd period down 1 goal moments.

Agreed. Need a scoring threat on two lines.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
******** first few minutes there in the first. I love the Rangers..but I was saying how much this team sucks. But they then settled down. There were a few brainfarts here and there, but overall, I think this was the closest they played to a complete game. Nice to see the Rangers O dominate in a game; though, the same ole ******** story of the PP not being able to cash in.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I agree, it's one of the aspects of his game he has to work on.

He's been doing it more frequently, though.

That pass to Gabby against the Broons was solid. I think his passing is underrated because no one he played with in CBJ could receive a pass. I think once he gets in a groove with his new line mates we'll see more of it. The ally oop to Gabby was nice.

Dorado*

I agree, it's one of the aspects of his game he has to work on.

He's been doing it more frequently, though.

I'd say he has to work on putting the puck in the net . He does get a ton of chances and is a beast with the puck . Those assists are basically shots on goal rebounds thus far with exception of that nice pass on Gabs goal . If he starts potting a few we might turn this thing around , heaven forbid it was on the PP . NYR can have a pretty big crew down low on PP between Nash , Arnott , PYATT , BB , now if someone could get a shot through consistently .

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Can anyone recall Nash ever passing the puck in the offensive zone? lol.. rarely does it seems

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I like that about him. He's the guy who makes things happen and drives to the net to score the goal. We have enough players who pass at every chance they get and I'm sick of screaming "shoot the ****ing puck!" at the TV.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I like that about him. He's the guy who makes things happen and drives to the net to score the goal. We have enough players who pass at every chance they get and I'm sick of screaming "shoot the ****ing puck!" at the TV.

You're not alone on that front.

Poozer

Jun 25, 2008
New York
You must be sooo glad Rosy is gone! But yeah in all seriousness, I hate shouting that constantly too, it made me so happy to see Staal jumping into the plays and shooting every chance he got last night.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I'll just leave this here.

tomflag.gif

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

In all seriousness, McD blew it twice on their first goal... Twice. That needs to stop. Otherwise they played a complete game although the Leafs didn't pressure us... Didn't forecheck aggressively. When teams play us soft like that we can move the puck, dictate the play and control the game. Terrible coaching on their part.

Good win but not as good as some think.

Positives were that they played like a team for the 1st time this season.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
As for secondary scoring, we need our PP to get some guys going etc. deceptively, secondary scoring relies on D more than ever nowadays.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
We played a great game yesterday. Kept control of the puck. Nash made **** happen. Gabby, Richards, Staal, DZ with great games. I thought Stepan looked better. Made some nice passes. But needs to take some serious skating lessons. Ferrari (that's what I'm calling him) looked good out there. Torts obviously liked him. Hagelin got back to using dat speed. Callahan needs to wake up.

But we're not going far unless we correct the power play. It can't even produce or keep the momentum going for us. Laughs fans were saying in their GDT that their PK was amazing. Wrong. Our power play was poop. Again.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We are in deep this year boys.

I'm afraid we are going to have to adjust the system we have been playing. We just don't have that kind of team anymore. No longer can we dump n chase. No longer are we strong along the walls.

Did we look good last night,... yes, against weaker competition. Toronto was coming off a horrible loss at home after leading 3-1 against the Islanders.

Let's see how we fare against Philly n Pitt again.

We have lost alot of jam that we had last year. And I'm not so sure we will get it back. Dubi, Prust, Feds, and to a lesser extent AA,.... all had jam, and were good along the walls.

We are losing alot of battles along the boards this year. And those battles are only possible if we get in on the forecheck, which for the most part has been missing this season.

Maybe it's early in the season, but I am a bit alarmed that there is no jam in our game, like last year.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I agree. Most of our guys are too unselfish and are always looking to pass first. Not so with Nash. That said, sometimes he does try to do a bit too much on his own and ends up turning the puck over. He can work on picking his spots a bit better.

But we're not going far unless we correct the power play. It can't even produce or keep the momentum going for us. Laughs fans were saying in their GDT that their PK was amazing. Wrong. Our power play was poop. Again.

Indeed. PP is atrocious. Twice we've had long two man advantages (1:18 and 2:00) in the 3rd with a chance to tie the game and both time we failed and lost. And it doesn't help that we can't win a face-off to set up the power play (or any other time it seems), thus losing 30 seconds of valuable attack time.

Good win but not as good as some think.

Positives were that they played like a team for the 1st time this season.

Yup, as was stated on the post game show, the Leafs aren't the Bruins, or the Pens, and they're not even the Flyers. But we found a way to come back from 2 goals down and get the job done. So that's a positive. I expect another solid performance on Tuesday after a few days off.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Looking back, I feel pretty silly for melting down as much as I did yesterday. I blame aliens. They made me lose it in the first, even though the Rangers were actually playing pretty good and I didn't really regain my sanity until it was over. :laugh:

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
Well I went to bed when it was 0-2. Thought they would lose 1-5 or something like that. I put on the computer when I woke up and saw someone won 5-2. Was pretty sure it would be the Leafs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
if he fixes the PP i dont really care about how slow, overpaid, or how big arnott's ego is

Me neither, but I don't know. I wouldn't count on it... ;) (but he could make some sense there, he has even played some point in his day)

I always like depth's and Arnott is that.

I was extremely unimpressed with Arnott when he came to Washington a couple of seasons ago (completely blasted his teammates in the press and was extremely me me me), and he is very slow these days. Speed was a huge concern for me before we got him...

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
gaborik needs to be set up in a way where he's 2 strides or less away from a quick release. I'm only counting offensive zone passes not including when entering the zone. Nash needs to shoot a lot as well. He's trying to make his claim in NY. Why wouldn't he shoot? We didn't trade for Nash for him to set up anyone.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Me neither, but I don't know. I wouldn't count on it... ;) (but he could make some sense there, he has even played some point in his day)

I always like depth's and Arnott is that.

I was extremely unimpressed with Arnott when he came to Washington a couple of seasons ago (completely blasted his teammates in the press and was extremely me me me), and he is very slow these days. Speed was a huge concern for me before we got him...

wishful thinking for the PP but he can still shoot and we do need that. btw didnt he kill us in OT of game 1 a couple years ago, intercepting McD or staal's pass and passing it to semin?

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I've thought Nash has made some pretty slick passes to Gaborik in the past couple games

He has. Nash is a pretty complete player.

Anybody else think MDZ's stat totals are going to explode this season? He's dished out some fantastic stretch passes the last few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad