TSN: Leafs projected early defensive pairings already set.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
Polak is Komisarek with wheels. Good thing we don't have issues with possession or turnovers. Now let's see what 20+ minutes of Polak & Dion will have in stock for us. :laugh: :cry: :help:

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Simmons is a ****ing moron. He started that whole dialogue with "well, the guys I've talked to said..." yeah and who are the clowns that you call sources Simmons?

Why do you think Nonis said after he acquired Polak that he "fits into the 4-5 spot" on their defence. So he could go ahead and put him on the top pairing?

We need to stop making threads based on Simmons trying to grasp for more of the spotlight and acting like he's actually a relevant source of Leafs news. I'm tired of listening to this clown speak.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Simmons is a ****ing moron. He started that whole dialogue with "well, the guys I've talked to said..." yeah and who are the clowns that you call sources Simmons?

Why do you think Nonis said after he acquired Polak that he "fits into the 4-5 spot" on their defence. So he could go ahead and put him on the top pairing?

We need to stop making threads based on Simmons trying to grasp for more of the spotlight and acting like he's actually a relevant source of Leafs news. I'm tired of listening to this clown speak.

Polak would fit in the 4-5 spot, had we been able to get Georges out of Montreal.

With Gunnarsson gone, he's the most logical candidate to replace him. You can't expect Gardiner to go in a shutdown role and succeed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There's more to it than just that if the thinking is Polak will be with Phaneuf. Gunnarsson got so much praise for something he really isn't ... Polak is lights out better than Gunnarsson in closing out players and erasing them. A much more stronger player that separates pucks from bodies ending cycles and creating lanes to get the puck out in result. He's a true shutdown stay at home defender. A Luke Schenn that can skate lets say with very little offensive creative skills other than he does own a big heavy shot. Gunnarsson was a tweener neither a shutdown stay at home guy neither a PMD offensive guy and really didn't do much of anything other than be discipline & sound with his positioning. That's what we can't live without? Oh boy my head hurts with how much praise we've given Gunnarsson.

Its a good assessment in that Polak is simply an older version of Luke Schenn but with better mobility and foot speed. The organization realized they were missing the element that Luke brought physically and now Roman will be asked to be that shutdown man and punish opponents in his own zone like the Human Eraser once did. With the teams high goals against they needed players that can defend and are strong along the boards in hopes of getting the puck out of Leafs zone with more frequency.

Gunnarrson was a player forced to play higher up the depth chart because of a team weakness on the defense, but was a steady Eddy reliable guy that didn't make a lot of mistakes and was usually well positioned as his yeam leading +/- suggests. Even on a bad hip he was a handy guy to have around and should have been playing the #4/5 role that Roman was thought the be brought in for.

Now it looks like Roman will be paired with Phaneuf according to reports replacing Gunnar as Dion's new partner but a similar situation of a player playing above his skillset on the top shutdown pairing.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Robidas played against much higher QOC last year, I would think he would be a better choice than Polak with Dion.

Polak and Rielly seem to be a solid #3 pairing.

Leaving Gardiner and Franson as the 2nd pairing.
that's how I see things starting too

not hung up on #2 and #3 though as I don't think there will be much difference in TOI

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think if Reilly plays with Robidas or Polak with lots of PP time, and gets to stay on the left side, he will break out.

I really see him being able to hit 40-50 pts.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Polak is Komisarek with wheels. Good thing we don't have issues with possession or turnovers. Now let's see what 20+ minutes of Polak & Dion will have in stock for us. :laugh: :cry: :help:

If this is the intended plan then we will soon find out if we miss Gunnarsson if Polak is being asked to replace him both in TOI/g and QofC as well as on the first PK unit as Neon Dion new partner.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Gunnarsson hadn't even started skating yet. There's. No guarantee that surgery will help him. It sounds like a long road back to me....

Carl Gunnarsson, the St. Louis Blues' newest defenseman, is dealing with the aftermath of offseason hip surgery but said he plans to be back on the ice next month.

"I'm on schedule," he told Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this week during an interview from Sweden. "I'm just going to be patient with skating and wait a couple of extra weeks. We'll have the best setup for me over there, with the trainer and the strength coach there to assist me."

"I was born with something on the joint that was causing some impingement, so we shaved it down and then repaired the labrum tear," he said. "It is a struggle sometimes, but in the long run, I think it's going to be the best thing for me, get back healthy and not have to deal with those kind of problems during the season. If I can just be 100 percent healthy for the full season, it's going to improve my game a lot."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726825

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
that's how I see things starting too

not hung up on #2 and #3 though as I don't think there will be much difference in TOI

I am a believer in playing players where they belong.

I don't see any other defenceman capable of logging tough mins with Dion.

Based on past QOC numbers, Robidas is slotted for the #1 pairing. Polak is fine as a #3 pairing guy, Rielly and him can start there and work their ways up.

With their new contracts, and raises. Gardiner and Franson need to start earning their 7.35M cap hits as #2 pairing D men.

I don't think excuses can be made for them this year, they are being paid to produce as #2 pairing D men, they will need to improve this year as a pairing.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Is there any wonder why this team has so many issues year in and year out...on any other team Polak perfectly fits into the bottom pairing (at most he squeezes into the top 4) the Leafs trade for him and we make him a #1 pairing D-man. It's laughable really. Roman Polak is not a top pairing D-man it's just plain and simple. It's going to be really scary watching him and Dion play close to 23-24+ mins every night. Wow..just SMFH

If the team is so concentrated on giving Dion another vet on his other side then Robidas would be a way better fit on the top pairing than Polak. Polak's minutes need to be sheltered to be totally effective.

Outside of that my pairings would be

Phaneuf-Rielly
Robidas-Gardiner
Polak-Franson

Franson gets a solid vet to help cover his mistakes and you give Rielly a ton of minutes and leeway to do his thing. You also give Gardiner a shield in Robidas to cover any mistakes he makes as well. This is the best way of going about things IMO.

Last edited:

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I would actually like to see Polak get the shot on the top pair. He is like a better skating, harder hitting version of Brooks Orpik. I think it'll take about four games for Leaf fans to really start loving this guy. This is coming from a Blues/Leaf fan who for like two years has been hoping the Leafs could acquire Polak or Cole from St Louis.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is there any wonder why this team has so many issues year in and year out...on any other team Polak perfectly fits into the bottom pairing (at most he squeezes into the top 4) the Leafs trade for him and we make him a #1 pairing D-man. It's laughable really. Roman Polak is not a top pairing D-man it's just plain and simple. It's going to be really scary watching him and Dion play close to 23-24+ mins every night. Wow..just SMFH

If we use salary as a guide.

The Pairings should be this.

Gardiner 4.05 , Phaneuf 7
Robidas 3M , Franson 3.3
Rielly and Polak

I agree, anyone who thinks Polak is a #1 pairing D man is not being realistic, he has never been one in the NHL, I am not sure why we think he is now. Let him play where he has been good at in St. Louis. Stop trying to fit round pegs into square holes.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
On paper that looks the best but are we asking too much from Robidas? He indicated signing here to play a lesser role if I'm not mistaken.

From an interview he said part of it was ending his career with a big market team and Original Six club like Toronto was attractive along with being a lot closer to home in Montreal/Quebec. On the ice he mentioned that when he was in talks with the Leafs the attractive part was the idea of playing with the kids like Rielly or Gardiner. I don't see Robidas playing with Dion unless **** hits the fan and Polak or someone else completely tanks. I really hate the idea of Polak on the first pairing ughhh

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Gunnarsson hadn't even started skating yet. There's. No guarantee that surgery will help him. It sounds like a long road back to me....

Carl Gunnarsson, the St. Louis Blues' newest defenseman, is dealing with the aftermath of offseason hip surgery but said he plans to be back on the ice next month.

"I'm on schedule," he told Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this week during an interview from Sweden. "I'm just going to be patient with skating and wait a couple of extra weeks. We'll have the best setup for me over there, with the trainer and the strength coach there to assist me."

"I was born with something on the joint that was causing some impingement, so we shaved it down and then repaired the labrum tear," he said. "It is a struggle sometimes, but in the long run, I think it's going to be the best thing for me, get back healthy and not have to deal with those kind of problems during the season. If I can just be 100 percent healthy for the full season, it's going to improve my game a lot."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726825

I think the Leafs weren't sure this operation would be a total success and traded Gunnarsson for this very reason.

Trading Franson to get another D would be difficult, Gorges would have been a good trade for Franson but if they are looking for a LH player to take his place and with the glut of forwards we have, something could happen combinding Franson and a forward however I think they will keep Franson until the deadline and then flip him for a 2nd round draft choice.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really don't mind Polak with Phaneuf, on paper anyway. I just hope that if it doesn't work that Carlyle doesn't play them for 10 more games just to force the pairing.

If Gunnarsson can play well in a top line role, I think Polak can also play well in the same role.

It will really depend on the play of a few players in training camp. If Gardiner dominates to a certain degree, there's a good chance he ends up playing the most minutes with Phaneuf, and etc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I really don't mind Polak with Phaneuf, on paper anyway. I just hope that if it doesn't work that Carlyle doesn't play them for 10 more games just to force the pairing.

If Gunnarsson can play well in a top line role, I think Polak can also play well in the same role.

It will really depend on the play of a few players in training camp. If Gardiner dominates to a certain degree, there's a good chance he ends up playing the most minutes with Phaneuf, and etc.

I think the plan is for Gardiner to carry the 2nd pairing, whoever that player is. Franson, Polak, or Robidas.

You can say the Leafs are banking on it with the new contract.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
If Polak can't play with Phaneuf, why did we trade Gunnarsson AND a draft pick for him?

Gunnar played with Dion last year and performed quite well.

Did we get completely fleeced in this deal?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the plan is for Gardiner to carry the 2nd pairing, whoever that player is. Franson, Polak, or Robidas.

You can say the Leafs are banking on it with the new contract.

That may be the plan now but a ton can change from now to opening day. That's what you get with a lot of new faces and developing players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gardiner ends up on the top pairing and Carlyle is forced to shuffle the pairings he envisioned. But for now pairing them left and right handedness is probably the safe bet.

It's far too early to put players in specific roles.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
perfect ,
balanced D in terms of LHD/RHD is important IMO, not sure why it took so long to address

Polak is fine for dion, if anything it means Dion should be playing less minutes.

now they just need Cs that can win faceoffs!, seriously at least 2 of the top 3 need to be above 50% and ideally one around 55%, no more of this mid to low 40s% garbage

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
perfect ,
balanced D in terms of LHD/RHD is important IMO

Why? Everyone loves to say this but I've rarely seen legitimate arguments why this is important. Because it looks nice on paper?

This is one of the more overrated things people in hockey think is a desired positive for a team.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If Polak can't play with Phaneuf, why did we trade Gunnarsson AND a draft pick for him?

Gunnar played with Dion last year and performed quite well.

Did we get completely fleeced in this deal?

Very much so.

Unless or medical staff saw something St Louis' s didn't. But then again, we signed a guy who broke the same leg twice last year

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why? Everyone loves to say this but I've rarely seen legitimate arguments why this is important. Because it looks nice on paper?

This is one of the more overrated things people in hockey think is a desired positive for a team.

A player is always stronger on the boards when he is on his forehand and not backhand.

Leafs get trapped in their own zone because LH Dmen playing RD struggle as they can't use the boards effectively.

Leafs went out of their way this summer to bring in RH Dmen in Polak and Robidas to create balance.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

on D you can sheppard in to the corner and away from the C of the ice. Also minimizes D having sticks in the middle deflecting shots coming in.

On O you are receiving the pass on your forhand and can play the puck down in to the corner or angled on net. On PP you can switch if you want more point shots but for 5 on 5 play it safe and contain the zone along the boards

but again thats just my IMO and how I like to see the game played

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
The only pairing that was set in stone last season was the Gunnar-Phaneuf pairing. Through the year, we rotated Rielly, Gardiner, Gleason, Ranger and Franson from one pairing to another. The fact that we've acquired 2 new defensemen might mean that the same thing happens this year, except now we don't have the ease of having a default Gunnar-Phaneuf pairing that works at the start of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad