TSN: Leafs projected early defensive pairings already set.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
People assume just because Polak is paired with Dion that it becomes the top pairing.

Perhaps the purpose will be as the shutdown pair trying to prevent goals against, while the other 2 pairings will focus on offense.

When the opposition sends out Crosby, Stamkos, OV, etc Carlyle will throw out Dion and Roman to try and prevent the opposition from scoring. Then when teams toss out lines 2 and 3 the Leafs throw out their other 2 pairings, looking for mismatches Leafs can expose to their benefit.

The premise being if you prevent/limit the offense of the the other teams top line then it forces them to beat you with their depth players. Teams use this strategy all the time against the Leafs, as when they shutdown the Leafs top line they increase their odds of winning significantly.

Its all about roles and responsibilities and not so much labeling lines.

Yes but how effective will this be come the 3rd period. When Dion and Polak are starting to push that 20 mins threshold. Polak is going to get worn down if he is playing these types of mins I fear.

In an ideal world you would want someone to take over that spot with Dion and move Polak down to a pairing with Rielly giving him 17 - 18 mins a night. But we wont have that. The more realistic is having a 3rd pairing that is not a defensive liability that Franson - Rielly could become. to try and spread the mins more evenly.

Remember last year when our top line was worn out after the Olympic break? If nothing changes to our D core expect it to happen to them this year.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
People assume just because Polak is paired with Dion that it becomes the top pairing.

Perhaps the purpose will be as the shutdown pair trying to prevent goals against, while the other 2 pairings will focus on offense.

When the opposition sends out Crosby, Stamkos, OV, etc Carlyle will throw out Dion and Roman to try and prevent the opposition from scoring. Then when teams toss out lines 2 and 3 the Leafs throw out their other 2 pairings, looking for mismatches Leafs can expose to their benefit.

The premise being if you prevent/limit the offense of the the other teams top line then it forces them to beat you with their depth players. Teams use this strategy all the time against the Leafs, as when they shutdown the Leafs top line they increase their odds of winning significantly.

If this truly is somewhat the Leafs are thinking about for D pairings, then this post makes a lot of sense. Gardiner/Robidas as 1st pairing (we want goals) and Phaneuf/Polak as 2nd pairing (we want stops) might work. As you said, roles and responsibilities and not getting hung up on line titles.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Polak will do fine on the top pairing. Gunnarsson and Phaneuf did pretty good together, Polak is better than Gunnarsson, etc. They aren't going to be the best pairing in the world, but they are playoff worthy IMO. Gardiner and Robidas is a pretty good 2nd line too. The third line will suck again though. Rielly and Franson will not end well, but then again any line with Franson on it without a defensive guy will suck so nothing we can do about that. Franson will be traded during the season if not before.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Isn't that what Carlyle has been doing this whole time. Setting Phaneuf and Gunnarsson against the toughest assignment leaving the other D to play more sheltered easier minutes?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think the pairings should be...

Phanuef/Polak
Gardiner/Franson
Rielly/Robidas
Granberg

Polak is a stay at home D that can skate well and carry the puck, he should fit well with Phanuef

Franson and Gardiner played together last year and if Franson can return to the form he played in the shortened season, this could be a good pairing and Gards is fast enough to get back on D if the puck gets out of the offensive zone.

Pairing Rielly with Robidas is the instructor and sudent scenario and Reilly could learn a lot from the experienced Robidas and hone his game and with less minutes this may be more suited to Robidas age and injury history.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If this truly is somewhat the Leafs are thinking about for D pairings, then this post makes a lot of sense. Gardiner/Robidas as 1st pairing (we want goals) and Phaneuf/Polak as 2nd pairing (we want stops) might work. As you said, roles and responsibilities and not getting hung up on line titles.

Carlyle loves to line and situation match and Leafs extended the coach this summer perhaps for this very reason as I said above playing the matchups.

If Crosby or Stamkos are on the ice pick which 2 dmen you think give the Leafs the best odds of keeping them off the scoreboard and punishing them physically in the process?. Who would be out their on the first PK unit?. The answer would be Phaneuf and Polak as both regular partners and and top PK unit. Also Leafs top line is not strong defensively so you play them with a shutdown pair hoping to reduce goals against when top lines go head to head.

The only time Phaneuf is used in an offensive role is on the PP.

Gardiner and Rielly are not strong defensively and oppositions top players would expose them far more than their 2-4th lines would. However with Jake and Morgan joining the attack because their pairings roles are offense than that gives Leafs 2-4th lines more odds of scoring. Leafs rebuilt their depth forwards in order to give them more TOI/g and generate secondary scoring.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Carlyle loves to line and situation match and Leafs extended the coach this summer perhaps for this very reason as I said above playing the matchups.

If Crosby or Stamkos are on the ice pick which 2 dmen you think give the Leafs the best odds of keeping them off the scoreboard and punishing them physically in the process?. Who would be out their on the first PK unit?. The answer would be Phaneuf and Polak as both regular partners and and top PK unit. Also Leafs top line is not strong defensively so you play them with a shutdown pair hoping to reduce goals against when top lines go head to head.

The only time Phaneuf is used in an offensive role is on the PP.

Gardiner and Rielly are not strong defensively and oppositions top players would expose them far more than their 2-4th lines would. However with Jake and Morgan joining the attack because their pairings roles are offense than that gives Leafs 2-4th lines more odds of scoring. Leafs rebuilt their depth forwards in order to give them more TOI/g and generate secondary scoring.

And given Phaneuf's need for limiting minutes to maintain a high playing level, spot duty only on the PP.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Simmons is an idiot.

Jonas Siegel is the go to guy for these sort of updates and I haven't anything from him about pairs being set already.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Polak goes from a 3rd pairing D man, to a #1 pairing D man. Atleast he is not Kostka going from the AHL to the #1 pairing.

This one will be interesting to watch.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Simmons is an idiot.

Jonas Siegel is the go to guy for these sort of updates and I haven't anything from him about pairs being set already.

Simmons has actually been on fire this summer, I don't know we get this reply when people disagree with a sports columnist.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm sure they have an idea of what they want to do, but everything is tentative. One year Joe Colborne was supposed to play 3rd line wing until he showed up and sucked too much.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Thought I remember hearing how the Leafs thought Polak could do more than he's shown so far in St.Louis, saying he's capable of being top 4. It doesn't make it that weird in the end if the Leafs think he's a better fit for Phaneuf. RH tough top 4 dman who'll help Phaneuf play more to his game. I see it as a better fit than Gunnarsson, I think he was too passive and forcing them both into roles they're not used to.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Thought I remember hearing how the Leafs thought Polak could do more than he's shown so far in St.Louis, saying he's capable of being top 4. It doesn't make it that weird in the end if the Leafs think he's a better fit for Phaneuf. RH tough top 4 dman who'll help Phaneuf play more to his game. I see it as a better fit than Gunnarsson, I think he was too passive and forcing them both into roles they're not used to.

Nonis stated after the trade they viewed him as a #5 D man.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Robidas played against much higher QOC last year, I would think he would be a better choice than Polak with Dion.

Polak and Rielly seem to be a solid #3 pairing.

Leaving Gardiner and Franson as the 2nd pairing.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Rielly will be playing top pairing with Phaneuf by the all-star break. Mark my words, a lot of you aren't prepared for how good this kid is.

Putting Rielly on the top pairing makes no sense though. He's a talented offensive catalyst.

When he is in his prime years, he'll be playing PP1 and probably matched against the opposing team's SC2, SC3, and CHK lines.

He'll get high minutes primarily in an offensive role. High number of Offensive Zone starts.

Putting him on the top pairing, which is really more of a shutdown pairing that faces the opposition's top players, doesn't play to his strengths.

Pretty much, it will be Phaneuf + someone getting all the defensive assignments, and Rielly + someone getting all the offensive assignments.

That will be, of course, down the line once Rielly develops a bit more.

In the interim, the offensive minutes will be covered by Gardiner/Robidas and Phaneuf/Polak will get defensive minutes.

Rielly/Franson will get protected minutes and may get PP1 time as well.

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011

This.

Throw the numbers out the window.
Go ask Darryl Sutter how his third line played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZA2fG6ygww

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm hoping for the first game of the season it's:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Polak - Franson

Assuming no trades (I'd love to trade Franson...)

Been preaching this for a while, gives us 3 pairings that have offense and defense. Not to mention we don't have any 2 bad skaters on the same pairing which is a positive too. Also has size and physicality in each pairing.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The most depressing part of this thread...if true, is that Franson is still here....:cry:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Polak - Franson

Been preaching this for a while, gives us 3 pairings that have offense and defense. Not to mention we don't have any 2 bad skaters on the same pairing which is a positive too. Also has size and physicality in each pairing.

Think that's what I'd like to see end up being the pairing aswell.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Polak - Franson

Why did the Leafs go out of their way to trade for right hand shot Polak and sign RH shot Robidas to get balance among the defense putting players on thier strong shooting side only to go back and play 2 LH shots together (Gardiner & Phaneuf) and 2 RH shot together (Franson and Polak)?

It defeats the entire purpose of trying to balance out the RH an LH shooting dmen if you don't pair 1 RH shot with 1 LH shot in each pairing.

They traded LH shot Gunnarsson to acquire RH shot Polak just to play Polak on the left side and opposite to his normal position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad