TSN: Leafs projected early defensive pairings already set.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Why are people talking about Polak on the top pairing?

Isn't the point to give more minutes to Gardiner and Rielly and not force Dion to play against such tough opponents?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why are people talking about Polak on the top pairing?

Isn't the point to give more minutes to Gardiner and Rielly and not force Dion to play against such tough opponents?

Because it's painfully obvious that the Polak experiment is going to happen.

Polak tops out as a 4/5 guy, who comes to Toronto and ends up playing top pairing minutes.

Common theme in Toronto - constantly playing guys in positions and spots where they won't succeed, hoping they become players that they aren't.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'd feel safer with Granberg paired with Rielly over Franson. Rather have those 2 grow as a pairing. Those 2 play styles fit perfectly together.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
I'd go with

Phaneuf- Robidas
Gardiner- Polak
Rielly- Granberg

PP#1 Gardiner- Phaneuf
PP #2 Rielly- Robidas

PK 1 Phaneuf- Polak
PK 2 Robidas- Granberg

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I really like the Polak addition to this team. However, he shouldn't be playing on the first pairing. With Philly adding another left handed D today in Del Zotto, Brayden Coburn would be a great acquisition to play with Phaneuf on the top pairing. Maybe moving Franson+ would get it done.

That way we'd have:

Coburn-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Polak
Holzer

Anyone else see this as a strong possibility?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Check out the D playing for St. Louis, I'm pretty sure Gunnarsson will not play on their first pairing and possibly not the second pairing either, so why are people saying Polak won't play on our first pairing

I just think we made the trade to have the RH and LH match ups

19 Jay Bouwmeester
25 Chris Butler
28 Ian Cole
4 Carl Gunnarsson
5 Barret Jackman "A"
33 Jordan Leopold
27 Alex Pietrangelo "A"
22 Kevin Shattenkirk

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I really like the Polak addition to this team. However, he shouldn't be playing on the first pairing. With Philly adding another left handed D today in Del Zotto, Brayden Coburn would be a great acquisition to play with Phaneuf on the top pairing. Maybe moving Franson+ would get it done.

That way we'd have:

Coburn-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Polak
Holzer

Anyone else see this as a strong possibility?

No I can't see Philly trading Coburn in a downgrade on D. Especially now with Timmo's future up in the air, even less likely than before.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd go with

Phaneuf- Robidas
Gardiner- Polak
Rielly- Granberg

PP#1 Gardiner- Phaneuf
PP #2 Rielly- Robidas

PK 1 Phaneuf- Polak
PK 2 Robidas- Granberg

On paper that looks the best but are we asking too much from Robidas? He indicated signing here to play a lesser role if I'm not mistaken.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Check out the D playing for St. Louis, I'm pretty sure Gunnarsson will not play on their first pairing and possibly not the second pairing either, so why are people saying Polak won't play on our first pairing

19 Jay Bouwmeester
25 Chris Butler
28 Ian Cole
4 Carl Gunnarsson
5 Barret Jackman "A"
33 Jordan Leopold
27 Alex Pietrangelo "A"
22 Kevin Shattenkirk

FWIW: Hitchcook told Gunnarsson he will be playing with Shattenkirk on the 2nd pairing.

Nonis said Polak was a #4/5 when he acquired him during the press conference.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

19 Jay Bouwmeester
25 Chris Butler
28 Ian Cole
4 Carl Gunnarsson
5 Barret Jackman "A"
33 Jordan Leopold
27 Alex Pietrangelo "A"
22 Kevin Shattenkirk

He'll play with Shattenkirk on the second pairing. Jackman isn't capable of playing second pairing minutes any more.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Yeah, because leafs brass is smart enough to have already set the pairing before actually seeing if they'll work or not in real life.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Lets make this clear: Polak being paired with Phaneuf DOES NOT mean he gets 1st pairing minutes.

Simple question to everyone: Did Gunnarsson get 1st pairing minutes last season? The correct answer is no. Gardiner and Franson both averaged more minutes a game than he did.

So just because Polak starts a game with Phaneuf, doesnt mean hes top pairing. Often at the end of games we saw Gunnar's minutes lessen, and of course he didnt get much special teams.

Anyways, with what we have, just about anything makes sense at this point. Try whatever and see what works.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm hoping for the first game of the season it's:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Polak - Franson

Assuming no trades (I'd love to trade Franson...)

Been preaching this for a while, gives us 3 pairings that have offense and defense. Not to mention we don't have any 2 bad skaters on the same pairing which is a positive too. Also has size and physicality in each pairing.

Polak can't play his offhand. Blues fans say that he is terrible when he does.

We need to trade Franson for a LHD, or Phaneuf has to play LD

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I would like to see something like this

5v5 - run more evenly
Gardiner - Phaneuf - 45%
Robidas - Franson - 30%
Rielly - Polak - 25%

PP - drop 1st pp pairing, sub in rielly for franson if leafs need possession, swap franson for phaneuf at a whistle half point or just run rielly/phaneuf if gardiner is gassed

Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Rielly

PK
Polak - Robidas - big pk minutes
Phaneuf - Gardiner/Rielly - subs

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
FWIW: Hitchcook told Gunnarsson he will be playing with Shattenkirk on the 2nd pairing.

Nonis said Polak was a #4/5 when he acquired him during the press conference.

Well I'm not sure if it's as cut and dry as that, Robidas at 37may be hard pressed to play first pairing minutes with Phanuef and a Gardiner, Phanuef Pairing throws out the RH/LH configuration and if Franson is paired with Phanuef, I'm just not sure how that will work out, both need someone to cover their backs and if Nonis is saying Polak is a 4/5 D.

Add to that this story and I would say Robidas is going to Mentor Gardiner or Rielly.

Toronto Maple Leafs’ Stephane Robidas happy playing role of defensive mentor

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...ppy-play-role-of-defensive-mentor-in-toronto/

“Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner,” Robidas said from his off-season home in Sherbrooke, Que. “When we talked about my role and what the Leafs are looking for, they’d like me to help the younger defencemen. To me that’s a great opportunity. I’ve watched them play. I know exactly how good they are and everything. Having a chance to play with one of the two and try to help those guys is going to be good for me.”

So putting all this together, our D as it stands would probably be

Gardiner/Phanuef
Polak/Franson
Rielly/Robidas
Granberg

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I doubt it. I just think they are getting Polak to replace Gunnar. They'll be getting the same QoC and the same minutes, except the pairing will prolly look more like Dion when he was paired with Gleason rather than Dion when he was paired with Gunnarson.

All it does is make the top pairing worse imo.
It seems like Carlyle and the rest feel that Dioncan move the puck well. Polak on the top pairing means that they want more physicality which Gunnarsson didn't offer. Besides, I can't see eating tough minutes so a lot of confidence in Dion.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Dont think I can handle another year of Plug Franson leaving Rielly out to dry again....

Let Rielly play with Robidas and move Gards up to play with Dion which would leave Franson with Polak. Simple.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I think the only pairing that's set is Robidas with a youngster. Other than that, it'll take training camp to find the pairings.

I'm intrigued to see how Polak does with Dion.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I think it's being a bit overblown. The most important thing is playing in a good system as a team. That is far more important than any pairing(unless it has Kostka on it). The entire team defence needs to improve.

Hejda, Sekera, Tyutin, Goligoski, Ericsson, Muzzin, Josi, Salvador, Braun/Demers, Couborn, Carle/Gudas etc are Dmen that played top pairing minutes for their teams, none are world beaters, yet many of those players represent playoff teams, strong defensive teams and far better possession teams.

System and Team defence.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

19 Jay Bouwmeester
25 Chris Butler
28 Ian Cole
4 Carl Gunnarsson
5 Barret Jackman "A"
33 Jordan Leopold
27 Alex Pietrangelo "A"
22 Kevin Shattenkirk

There's more to it than just that if the thinking is Polak will be with Phaneuf. Gunnarsson got so much praise for something he really isn't ... Polak is lights out better than Gunnarsson in closing out players and erasing them. A much more stronger player that separates pucks from bodies ending cycles and creating lanes to get the puck out in result. He's a true shutdown stay at home defender. A Luke Schenn that can skate lets say with very little offensive creative skills other than he does own a big heavy shot. Gunnarsson was a tweener neither a shutdown stay at home guy neither a PMD offensive guy and really didn't do much of anything other than be discipline & sound with his positioning. That's what we can't live without? Oh boy my head hurts with how much praise we've given Gunnarsson.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I think it's being a bit overblown. The most important thing is playing in a good system as a team. That is far more important than any pairing(unless it has Kostka on it). The entire team defence needs to improve.

Hejda, Sekera, Tyutin, Goligoski, Ericsson, Muzzin, Josi, Salvador, Braun/Demers, Couborn, Carle/Gudas etc are Dmen that played top pairing minutes for their teams, none are world beaters, yet many of those players represent playoff teams, strong defensive teams and far better possession teams.

System and Team defence.

Sekera, Tyutin, Goli, Josi, And Braun (possibly Coburn too) are all very solid Dmen... Definitely solid #2s imo.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If Polak and Dion is our top pair we are in for a world of hurt.....Polak is not a PMD nor is Dion....Polak is not a player you want carrying the puck.

Dion hates the Left side and rightfully so....he is very poor turning to his left....he played horrible the season before last on the Left side and I can not see the Leafs placing him there this year. Polak can not play on his weak side.

I do not know the pairings but the Polak Dion pairing makes no sense at all......I see Franson moved in the next 10 days...then things will be come clearer.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
There's more to it than just that if the thinking is Polak will be with Phaneuf. Gunnarsson got so much praise for something he really isn't ... Polak is lights out better than Gunnarsson in closing out players and erasing them. A much more stronger player that separates pucks from bodies ending cycles and creating lanes to get the puck out in result. He's a true shutdown stay at home defender. A Luke Schenn that can skate lets say with very little offensive creative skills other than he does own a big heavy shot. Gunnarsson was a tweener neither a shutdown stay at home guy neither a PMD offensive guy and really didn't do much of anything other than be discipline & sound with his positioning. That's what we can't live without? Oh boy my head hurts with how much praise we've given Gunnarsson.

Well it's not only the reason to have RH/LH pairings that we traded Gunnarsson, he did have a hip problem that had bothered him for a few years and while he still played well, it did bother him at times.

Polak too can hit and he makes opposing players keep their heads up while playing a very sound game.

Gunnarsson was a favorite player of mine, he did his job and did it well and I would have sooner seen another player traded to get Polak but for whatever reason it was Gunnarsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad