Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #185 -Nikita Korostelev - RW - Sarnia Sting OHL (RUS) 6' 1" 195

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Someone in the prospects thread suggested he had surgery but the team hasn't announced anything. He's missed quite a few games.

I see, ok, thanks!

Was hoping to hear he's having as good a season this year as he did last year. That would put the rumours of him being good due to Zacha to rest, but I guess we'll see.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
I see, ok, thanks!

Was hoping to hear he's having as good a season this year as he did last year. That would put the rumours of him being good due to Zacha to rest, but I guess we'll see.

The few games I've seen he was still playing with Zacha. Probably won't be now with Konecny there

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Just looking to see if any Sarnia fans have reviews on Korostelev from this past season. The scouting reports about his ceiling at the draft were pretty tantalizing for a 7th round pick but his stats didn't look that impressive this year. I know he fought an injury, but should we be adjusting our expectations on him to the next Mikhail Stefanovich yet?

thanks

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/08/30-teams-in-30-days-toronto-maple-leafs.html

6. Nikita Korostelev - Sarnia Sting
Korostelev's production declined from a year ago, but it's also important to note that Sarnia was not a high scoring team this year and balanced three lines. His 23 goals still put him top 5 in team goal scoring. That said, I don't really think Korostelev improved a ton as a player this year. I'm still waiting for him to impress me as much as he did as an OHL rookie two years ago. He flashed a power forward game in his 16 year old year, but has not demonstrated that same demeanour since. He still possesses a ton of potential as a goal scorer thanks to a wicked shot which he gets off in a hurry. But his skating still needs work and prevents him from being a consistent performer. And, of course, if he could ever figure out a way to incorporate that power game again, he'd be a force. He'll return to a Sarnia team which will need him to play a top 6 role and (likely) on the top powerplay unit. Will he finally figure it out? He is, after all, battling for a contract. I'm hoping he's highly motivated by that draft slight and emerges as a 35+ goal scorer.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Had real potential for a 7th round pick.

No doubt he had a bad year, even if Sarnia wasn't a great offensive team.

In saying that, he's a 7th round pick with really interesting tools. Guess all you can do is wait to see what he becomes.

Mr Hockey*

In saying that, he's a 7th round pick with really interesting tools. Guess all you can do is wait to see what he becomes.

I believe, he was hurt last season and may have had surgery mid season to his hand or wrist,? I am not sure

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Ya there's no harm in swinging for the fences in the 7th round, even if it makes you less likely to hit the odds are already so abysmal at that point you might as well get something really good out of the odd time that one turns out. The leafs have been oddly successful in the 7th round of late in terms of getting guys who's stock rises post-draft, would be great to keep the steak alive. The rest of the 2015 class looks pretty good too, hard to look at any of those picks a year later and say they have no shot of making it

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Sarnia wasnt a high scoring team? They finished 5th/20 in goals for.

They started scoring a bit more when Konecny came in (who's a very underrated prospect), and they scored a lot by committee. Their first line was pretty mediocre until konecny came in.

Korostolev needs an extremely good season this year if he wants to get an ELC. A 7th round pick from the CHL that didn't shine in his 18 year old season is in a very unlikely scenario to get an ELC, especially on a team with a crazy amount of depth winger prospects.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Coming out party for Nikita today. Truly impressive game with speed and skill. Some player take a little longer to put it together.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Coming out party for Nikita today. Truly impressive game with speed and skill. Some player take a little longer to put it together.

nice game today. he really needed to step up and he played well in both games

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He has some talent and size .. If his skating has improved (looked like it in this tournament) that's big. Hopefully he'll have a huge final(?) year in junior

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He has some talent and size .. If his skating has improved (looked like it in this tournament) that's big. Hopefully he'll have a huge final(?) year in junior

He was actually ranked fairly high in the draft rankings in his draft year. His footspeed and lack of defensive awareness were his biggest criticisms.

He was ranked as a late 2nd rounder early 3rd rounder roughly
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #53 by Hockeyprospect.com
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #60 by ISS Hockey
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #62 by Future Considerations
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #50 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #69 by TSN/McKenzie

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It was very important for the purposes of earning an eventual ELC that Korostelev stood out in this rookie tournament. No doubt his stock rose a little bit.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It was very important for the purposes of earning an eventual ELC that Korostelev stood out in this rookie tournament. No doubt his stock rose a little bit.

This will help him for sure.

I always wondered if he would be signed to a contract or if they Leafs would just walk away.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
monster game last night - hat trick and 1 assist with 5 SOG. I mentioned it briefly in the predictions thread, but I think he could become the Leafs' top non-professional prospect by the end of the season. he was highly touted previously, played through injuries last year, and had a good rookie camp.

aside from the trio of Matthews/Marner/Nylander, really excited by the 2015 prospects. I really hope management keep guys like Dzierkals, Timashov, Bracco, and Korostelev and not package them with other players for trades unless there's an amazing offer on the table. Obviously not all of them will pan out as NHLers, let alone Top 6 guys, but there's a good chance that at least one of them will. I'd rather wait 12-18 months to see which one(s) might.

same with guys like Dermott, Nielsen, Valiev, and even Lindgren. want to see where they are in 12-18 months time prior to considering moving them.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
monster game last night - hat trick and 1 assist with 5 SOG. I mentioned it briefly in the predictions thread, but I think he could become the Leafs' top non-professional prospect by the end of the season. he was highly touted previously, played through injuries last year, and had a good rookie camp.

aside from the trio of Matthews/Marner/Nylander, really excited by the 2015 prospects. I really hope management keep guys like Dzierkals, Timashov, Bracco, and Korostelev and not package them with other players for trades unless there's an amazing offer on the table. Obviously not all of them will pan out as NHLers, let alone Top 6 guys, but there's a good chance that at least one of them will. I'd rather wait 12-18 months to see which one(s) might.

same with guys like Dermott, Nielsen, Valiev, and even Lindgren. want to see where they are in 12-18 months time prior to considering moving them.

Originally I was considering it with Korostelev, but then I thought that he deserves a chance to prove himself, because he is a really good player going through some tough times. If he sucks this year, then the Leafs could easily package him up and send him out next year.

Same goes for someone like Nolan Vesey.

However, the end of the line will come for some guys drafted 2014 and earlier in this organization. It may be the end for Desrocher as well, but he may have a spot next year if the Marlies lose Campbell and Loov.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Been great from training camp onward.

I still stick to what I said before, with a player like this all you can do is take your time because his overall package is impressive.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
These were his rankings: I can't believe he fell to 7th round. He was projected to go late 2nd.

- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #53 by Hockeyprospect.com
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #60 by ISS Hockey
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #62 by Future Considerations
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #50 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
- 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #69 by TSN/McKenzie
- See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183258#sthash.PHq4wicv.dpuf

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
So um Korostelev scored the goal of the year just now...

Up to 6 goals, 3 assists in under 4 games. After a rough year last year it looks like he could be primed for a huge season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad