Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #185 -Nikita Korostelev - RW - Sarnia Sting OHL (RUS) 6' 1" 195

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX

Korestelev has cooled off significantly since starting the season on fire . In November he was leading the O in goals but has fallen to 20th in the league. I believe he only has 2 goals in his last 12 games.
Korestelev is a natural scorer and has the ability to be a high end scorer but his inconsistency is the biggest issue. Perhaps dropping way down the NHL draft and not making the Russian team have really affected his play.
Great deal for Sarnia as the Sting replenish a pile of picks they traded in the Konecny deal.

Last edited:

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
Watched him against Guelph last Wednesday, didn't see much of him in the 1st played a little more in the 2nd and 3rd. All in all did not do much for me.could have been an off game I guess

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He's got a huge ceiling. Just down to development for him. He has all the tools needed.

I would pump the brakes on the projected ceiling. To me a "huge ceiling" is a top line winger with the ability to put up perennial PPG seasons. I'm sure the Leafs would be thrilled if he developed into a 3rd line scoring threat. Hell, the kid isn't even signed yet.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I would pump the brakes on the projected ceiling. To me a "huge ceiling" is a top line winger with the ability to put up perennial PPG seasons. I'm sure the Leafs would be thrilled if he developed into a 3rd line scoring threat. Hell, the kid isn't even signed yet.

True, I think people are just excited about our prospects. He seems like he can be a big power winger, I see a little bit of John LeClair in his game but I'm expecting him to be a third line grinder/winger with scoring touch. Which would be amazing.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
He has 4-5 highlight reel goals this year. He's the only Prospect who has made it in to Sportsnet and TSN highlights multiple times.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

He does have that ceiling provided he puts those tools together. Watch him.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
is this guy gonna get a contract? looks like hes put together a good season and some beauty goals just wonder if we have room for him

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
He's got a lot of Richard Panik in him IMO, and we all saw how long that took to put together. Couple years of patience could play off here, I could see him being the other winger on Marner's line down the road, he has the shot and power game to compliment Marner's passing nicely.

Alfie

Nov 5, 2016
Is this kid on our future? He’s got 20G 52P in 42 games this year with the Petes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is this kid on our future? He’s got 20G 52P in 42 games this year with the Petes.

That isn't very good for an overager that can't skate all that well.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks this player has a future. He likely would struggle in the AHL.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
He's a slightly above average player and a very selfish one at that. Watched him many times in Sarnia we should be thankful he's not our property any more Leaf fans

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That isn't very good for an overager that can't skate all that well.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks this player has a future. He likely would struggle in the AHL.
just because of the highlight reels...man he's got some talent. If someone thought it would translate he would have a pro contract though

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd give him an AHL deal in a heartbeat. Injuries have hurt his curve a little bit but he could be someone who turns it on, and if not, who cares? He's a better option than most of what we have brought in over the years on AHL deals, and better than most guys you will be able to get on AHL deals in the future. Start him ECHL and work him up from there.

Likely goes to the KHL first though. Could make more money and a better opportunity to shine over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad